Box art pic' for this one...

IMG_5859.jpg

I think this is a kit I bought many years ago at the RAF museum at Hendon. It's from the 50's and a bit rough in the fit and rivet department (but quite nicly moulded). I won't be going overboard on the interior with this one, but hopefully I'll be folding the rotors (so it'll fit in the display case).

Finish will be an overall gloss sea blue commando assault machine from the Suez conflict, as described in a recent 'Model Airplane monthly'.

Here's a pic of the work so far, vents drilled out and backed by Aeroclub fine brass mesh. Note the replacement framework where I was a little too enthusiastic with the knife.

IMG_5858.jpg

Steve.

I thought this might have been the Westland Whirlwind twin engined WW2 fighter. Still looks a good fun build, we need a few more helicopters!

:cheers:

MikeJ

My thoughts exactly Mike!!

I love that intake grill Steve. What are you using for the mesh?

cheers

Grant

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a while...but it's done (and just in time)

IMG_5943.jpg

This was a real struggle over the last couple of months, what with work, illness and a real lack of enthusiasm, not to mention the kit itself. Now, to be fair this kit is 50 years old according the the inscription inside the fuselage half (copyright Airfix 1956) so we shouldn't expect miracles. The main problem was the fit, or lack of it, of the transparencies. it didn't help that the clear parts were warped for the cockpit side windows.

Still, it's done and it looks like a Whirlwind to me. The marking depict a machine from HMS Theseus which launched commando assaults during the Suez conflict as featured in a recent Model Aircraft Monthly. My model's innacuracies are many and varied but I think it just about captures the look. Apologies for the lop-sided rotor in one of these shots, I've left it unglued for later storage and it doesn't sit entirely happily in its loose state.

IMG_5941.jpg

IMG_5942.jpg

Afraid the Starfighter isn't going to get done this time around, but I guess three out of four isn't too bad.

Cheers,

Steve.