Hobby Craft CT-114 Tutor

The kit overall is typical Hobbycraft. It isn't great, but it is a 48th scale tutor. It does suffer from some rather heavy panel lines, but some re-scribing will take care of that.

With some extra work, the kit can be built into a nice model I think.

Also, try to get th Belcher Bits Tutor decal sheet. It is beautiful, and includes a lot of different schemes for the CT114, including early 60's Tutor and Re Knight as well as obvously Snowbirds markings

Tony, Comox, BC

Actually, if you can get your hands on a relatively recent issue of Tamiya Model Magazine, you'll see Wayne Hui's Tutor kit and you can see exactly what can be accomplished with this kit! (BTW, Wayne mastered the resin cockpit set that Uncle Rick has in his shop).

Great replies everyone!

I will be ordering the belcherbits decal kit (although I considered the pre-'92 scheme). :cheers:

I've found plenty of pictures to aid in the detailing - I'm planning on scratchbuilding the engine and some of the cockpit :cheers:

If I really go mad, then I'll get your suggestion on the kit, Big K.

Being single has some advantages... :o

I did all those Colin, but in 1/72 scale. They are going to hit the trash however. Or Tony's museum if I can get all the dust off them.

The decals came from Arrow graphics, and JBOT. Back in the day. When I redo my 2 and only 2 Tutors its just going to be a Snowbird and a line bird using Uncle Ricks very excellent looking Tutor cockpit which I picked up back in May. And the Belcher bits sheet.

I'll don't know how I'll tackle the bottom yet, as I'm installing the fuel pipes to the exhaust.

I think they may be deisel lines for the smoke??

This will definitely take me into the summer... :worship:

Check out www.modelart.ca for Wayne Hui's Tutor and other stuff. The resin cockpit set is beautiful and includes speedbrakes and landing gear stuff too.

About masking the "speedbird" and diamonds- thats how it is done in the real world too and they aren't perfect either. (but they're close)

Tony, Comox, BC

The Hobbycraft kit is really only a starting point fo a good finished product and Wayne's masters are absolutely beautiful. The fuselage will have to be ground down in a number of areas to be able to get the resin bulkhead and nosewheel well to fit properly...and this is not because of Wayne's work...but because of the kit moulding.

I found that the injection moulded plastic was of poor consistancy and mine did not scribe very well...it chipped in some areas and was very soft in others.

But the end results were worth the effort.

Barney

CT-114Tutor058A.jpg

CT-114Tutor056A.jpg

CT-114Tutor055A.jpg

Howdy Folks!

I must offer a HUGE thanks to Tony Edmundson for his generous offer! Absolutely brilliant!

I'm in the process of finishing my Mustang and starting the Tutor.

This is still in the experimental phase, but it doesn't look too shabby...It's all done with electrical tape.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/124/3545396...2942bb4d8_o.jpg

Colin and Dwayne, I'm glad you guys got your CDs and I hope it helps detail your builds. If you need clarification on any point on the airplane, just call !! I've got assorted shots and it may shed some light on little seen areas.

Tony