VT-7 TA-4J (Build #2)

Between AMS and ADD, switching gears from my first scooter GB project (Hase 1/48 A-4 Adversary) and worked a bit this weekend on my 'alternate' build... A 1/32 TA-4J "In-Flight" for a friend and former VietNam era Scooter/ SLUF driver. He was an instructor pilot at VT-7; the plan is to show him in solo mode. Although the kit has raised panel lines, I'm not planning to rescribe. I've done some basic assembly and painting of the cockpit, and pre-shading on the panel lines. I'm using the kit seat in the front, since there will be a pilot figure hiding most of the detail anyway. Rear seat is from Cutting Edge; I used the non-belted version so I can add a tightly-cinched harness vice the 'loose & adrift' version that would be more appropriate for a an open cockpit display.

Has_TA-4J_Cockpit1.JPG

This second shot shows the fuselage halves with the pre-shading, and also the faired-in intake. The parts fit well; but care is required to avoid losing a lot of the raised rivet detail. I've sprayed a bit of Floquil Reefer White (a tip I picked up here on ARC) to help check my work, and see how the white fuselage will look.

Has_TA-4J_Fuse1.JPG

Everything (other than the intakes) is just a 'press-fit' at the moment. Checking the general fit of the lower wing and two upper wing panels, and how they fair into the fuselage; as well as look of the International Orange paint. I've filled the 3 slots on each wing leading edge where the slat arms (rails?) would be if they were extended; but since this is an in-flight build the slats will be retracted. Those are the three small white squares along the LE of the wing where the slat will go.

Has_TA-4J_Fuse2.JPG

Lots more to go...

Looking good Harv, I'll be following your thread with envy :cheers:

It's good to see such a rare bird in 1/32.

I have the same project with a TA-4J already assembled that I plan to completely dissasemble and start over.

Looking forward to see your progress

Harv,

Looks great so far. Working in 1/32 sure brings out more detail that you normally wouldn't see.

I like how you test the International Orange to get a feel of it on your aircraft - great tip.

Keep the pictures coming.

Cheers,

Gabe :rofl:

Edited by gkicsak

Red Dog - Your build is looking great; thanks for the comments - but I seriously doubt you have reason to envy my build other than I'm not bothered by not making the efforts to rescribe and add a resin cockpit (and the subsequent details involved as well)! I, too actually have another TA-4J that was completed nearly 20 years ago (in the old Microscale VF-126 blue/grey adversary scheme) that is probably due for a tear-down and re-build. Come to think of it, that was the second or third kit I built after returning from the 'ususal' teenage/college "I've discovered girls!" hiatus...

Gabe, Thanks for the kind words; I'm hopeful I might even finish this one before the GB is done! :huh:

John- I've seen your Scooter work in 1/48, both Hase and Monogram...Where's YOUR build, my friend? :whistle:

Edited by Harv

Harv

That's funny, look at that TA4J built some 15 years ago waiting to be stripped to make a VT-7 bird :)

Certainly close to yours :lol:

OA4M_18_TA4J.jpg

she lost a lot of parts during the cleaning session. Hopefully I can recvover them all in my part box

Harv

That's funny, look at that TA4J built some 15 years ago waiting to be stripped to make a VT-7 bird :salute:

Certainly close to yours ;)

OA4M_18_TA4J.jpg

she lost a lot of parts during the cleaning session. Hopefully I can recvover them all in my part box

Red Dog, how's this for 'close'...my old build: Dusty, dirty and with plenty of 'hangar rash' and missing bits - including the same port slat!

Has32_TA-4J_VF-126.JPG