New project: Osprey

Here it is with some basic colour blocking. My 'technique' for this is to just fill it in sloppy with a brush, and then use a lasso tool to delete the colour that has strayed outside the lines. There's got to be a better way? Using a mask maybe? Or a Path?

osprey2LR1.jpg

Here is a 100% view of the size I am working in. Lesson learned - the rivet detail is not visible once the picture has been reduced for viewing on a PC screen.

Explicitly, no, the rivet detail won't be seen when viewed at most computer screen sizes, but there will be the impression of a smaller detail there that will catch the eye even unconsciously. You'll always try and walk the line between getting those details that add to the overall gestalt of the illustration versus adding so much small detail you get the illustrator's version of "Mission Creep"!

adding so much small detail you get the illustrator's version of "Mission Creep"!

I think of it as "Target Fixation :coolio: .

Hey GINge, are you using Photoshop? Why don't you use the Fill tool to do the coloring?

Inspired by Neu's recent S-3 Viking post, especially the canopy reflections, I decided to detail up some of the glass bits. The idea is to convey a bit of sky, some earth, and a highlight (done with the airbrush and a lens render)

osprey3LRclose.jpg

GINge,

When you're using the fill tool, make sure that you have the layer with the lines selected. As long as the lines are continuous, with absolutely no breaks, you should be able to fill in the various parts of the airframe. I've had the filling of the whole canvas happen a few times and it was usually because I hadn't checked to see which layer was active. Thank God for "Undo" :coolio: .

cheers guys!

Got a bit of insomnia tonight, so I hurried up & shaded some. Pure speculation, but they are in a layer , so I can retouch. Still very much a WIP:

osprey5LRLizard.jpg

Edited by GINge!

That green is super nice, like the SAR as well of course, (being a former medic and all)

I would suggest changing the serial number from 122XXX to 157XXX, 151, 152 something like that. I think 122 was used on something but without my Patrick Martin CAF bible I can't remember what.

Only other thing I would change is the position of the CF roundel. It works on the green one but on the SAR I think a little higher up for some reason. Perhaps bi-secting the lightling bolt directly under the "Canada".

What you have going there is looking mighty fine, and actually possible. :D

I looked it up, 122XXX was reserved for the Neptune, but as the fleet was retired in 1968 the numbers were not actually painted on the airframe.

Still think your schems are looking mighty fine. :cheers:

haha, um, yeah, you guys know this is a Whif, right? ;-)

I just figured the first 3 of the serial were the type identfier? As in CV-122 Osprey, CF-188 Hornet. However, its no biggie to change them to anything as they are still in layer format.

That's a good idea to put the roundel on the cheat line. Kinda like the old 707's had. I always thought the new Canada markings (esp on the Cormorant) looks a bit hap hazard. I mean, I'm proud to be Canadian, but do we really need 4 maple leafs on each side of the airframe?

Uber cool!!!!! (pssssttttt Mr whiffer :P ) 161XXX is reserved for unmanned aircraft like that Specfor thingie they have in Afganistan.

That desert one is REALLY believable. I like!! :bandhead2:

Ginge,

I just have to say your what-if's (the Osprey and the A-4) look great. I like that you base them on the actual CF schemes, some of the Canadian what if stuff out there looks so wild you know it would never fly (so to speak). I know they're not real but they look plausible. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers,

Sean