?? not painting a model ??

Hello all

I'm building the Revell 32 nd Dornier 27 'Safari' kit.

The kit comes in a nice white plastic.The paint sheme is a white plaine with black zebra stripes.

Their is allmost no filling needed so the white plastic looks good and clean.

?? : Could I leave the plastic as it is and just paint the stripes on and cover it with semi-gloss varnish ?

Will the varnish discolour the unpainted white plastic ?

Any thoughts on this one

Greetings,

Erwin

I wouldn't leave it bare plastic

If you do not want to go to much effort, pick up a spraycan of white primer like Citadel's Skull White and do it that way. You can also weather the white finish as well, something a bit difficult to do on bare plastic.

:cheers:

MikeJ

everyone is saying don't do it but here is my question. What is the plastice were polished first to give it a good even finnish, then the stripes painted and the whole model sealed with future before weathering and decaling? It would at least mean the white would not have to be painted and would not the future protect the plastic from yellowing?

Robert

everyone is saying don't do it but here is my question. What is the plastice were polished first to give it a good even finnish, then the stripes painted and the whole model sealed with future before weathering and decaling? It would at least mean the white would not have to be painted and would not the future protect the plastic from yellowing?

Robert

OK, aside from the decal issue unpainted plastic looks exactly like that: unpainted plastic. Cover it with Future, dullcoat whatever, it still doesn't look right.

My guess would also be that the Future alone won't keep it from yellowing anyway.

I'd suggest painting it as well. Years ago, I did an armor kit or two that I didn't paint (just varnished it with Dullcote and weathered it), but it was also loaded down with accessories and heavily weathered, so you couldn't ell that it wasn't painted. However, on a clean aircraft model, it's another story.

A little tip: if you want to avoid yellowing of white paint, add a little touch of blue to the mix. Blue, added in small amounts, actually brightens the white, and neutralizes any yellowing.

HTH-

I wouldn't leave it bare plastic

Me neither, the plastic won't stay white for too long ! Trust us, I know what I'm talking about ( actually did this about 20 years ago - it's more cream now ) .

V.

I Agree,

I built an FSD F-16 almost 20 years ago in rollout colors.

Saw it a few years ago at my grandmothers house and it was actually Yellow, not to mention the decals had yellowed so badly that it looked like I had gone over the kit with a magic marker.

If you have a Wal Mart near you just buy the WalMart flat white paint for 88 cents. Great as a primer and it has not yellowed yet. Have a Thunderbird t-38 using this paint that is still bright.

HTH William G

Anyone remember that modeling magazine that used to build and decal the entire kit without paint or filler? IIRC it was done that way intentionally to show the parts breakdown and fit of the model...

Personally, I would paint it.

However, the whole point of this hobby is fun and experimentation. I think it would be a good challenge to see if you could get away without painting it, yet not be able to see the glue marks or seams! post it with a lot of close-up pictures so we can give you are comments.

Hello all,

thanks for the comments so far.

It looks the minds are divided on this one.I have solved the decal problem.Because their are only black civil code letters on it (D-ENTE) I bought a sheet of fine plastic sticker letters.

I tried one,and I must say it realy not much different from a decal.

I think I'm going for the 'non' paint job. I looks a bit stupid to paint the whole thing white first and then cover it with black stripes.It's about 50/50 white/black.

After that I will cover it all with a semi-gloss varnish.

Only the finished model will proof who's right on this one !

If the model turn yellow after 20 years,I'll be 63 then,who knows if my eyesite will be good enough to see the difference .

I'll try to keep you posted on the result

Greetings and a Merry Christmas to you all,

Erwin

Hello,

I'm having second thoughts on my not to paint it.

I'm starting to put the parts together now,and I must say that I 'm starting to see differences in the 'whiteness' of the plastic.

The fuselage,wings,flaps etc don't look that clean white anymore.They did when still on the sprue.

But I'm still unsure in painting the whole plane white first and then adding the stripes later.

Perhaps I'll try painting the black/white alongside, without overlapping, eachother.

Whatever I decide to do,this model looks like a challenge!

Modelling can be so great...but sometimes it give you a HEADACHE !!

Greetings all,

Erwin

:cheers: I often get a headache when building, wife wondering where I am , kids wanting to jump on me, those I can deal with but really I should build a room with a window to get some air once in a while. :)
But I'm still unsure in painting the whole plane white first and then adding the stripes later.

Perhaps I'll try painting the black/white alongside, without overlapping, eachother.

Hi!

Why would you like to do that?? :cheers:

Your work flow:

1. mask the subsequently black areas

2. paint white

3. remove masks from bare plastic subsequently black

4. mask white areas

5. paint black

6. remove masks from white areas

my proposed work flow:

1. paint whole aircraft white

2. mask areas proposed to be white

3. paint black

4. remove masks

Voila! 2 steps less. Since I'm lazy, I'd stick to the second work flow.

just my 2 cents

Martin