Hi chapps

Ive been trying to fight the January blues by finishing this little fella off. so its a bit Ironic that the paint scheme was BLUE (well PRblue !!!)

So this is the Tamiya Mossie, with the addition of the aires merlin engines and eduard cockpit PE set. The kit is geat and goes together without too much fuss. The engine set on the other hand !!! Oh boy I just couldnt get to grips with it. Im sure its 90% my impatiance to get onto the painting stage,but it just didnt fit!!! I think the instructions were very limited, so what you see is a bit of a botch job !!!! Its kind of put me off a little so I think the next kit I build will be OTB.

The painting was pretty straight forward. I primed the surface with alclad grey primer,its increddably thin and ofers a grat surface for acrylics. Unfortunatly I forgot to mask off the crew hatch on the underside of the fuselarge so the inside of the canopy also got a misty coat. I managed to remove most of the mess with a cotton bud dampened with thinners.

I always like to show aircraft with people around to give them scale. so here I have added a couple of CMK pilots and ICM ground crew, and a few other odds and ends to give interest.

well I hope you like the result. Any addvice on the resin parts would be verry useful !!

72842872.ZewPXELZ.jpg

72842862.MQqGtn2R.jpg

72842889.NtNfTQDf.jpg

72842803.qXfgSf8J.jpg

72842885.ZaXXfK5H.jpg

72843104.0Ihwm7wo.jpg

72842979.rfmWZ9A8.jpg

One of the nicest dioramas I've seen for a long time. The figures are nicely painted, there's a natural randomness to the placing of the various elements and I particularly like that the overall colour tones work together. Some (not all) Aires sets are notoriously difficult to fit in the spaces they're supposed to, it's almost as if Aires design them from scale drawings without taking into account the thickness of the kit plastic. Anyway, it doesn't look as if it was a struggle, that's the main thing.

Beautiful work.

lovely, simply lovely all the way around. The diorama is superb, the plane looks most excellent with the resin engine and various panels off. I am seriously impressed and awed! As was mentioned earlier, it does not look like you had any issues with the fit of the engine, and that is a testament to your skills.

:D :cheers:

J.C.

Fantastic work.

The whole diorama has a wonderful natural feel to it, something that diorama's often find difficult to attain.

Well done ;)

:lol:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

Nice Diorama. But are you gonna use any display case to put it in or what? This is always my problem too. I have not much space to put all the diorama out and if it is out, I have no display case big enough so they get dusty after a while. Please seek solution from you. Help!

Thanks

Bang

Absolutely beautiful figure painting and wonderfully restrained paint work on the Mosquito. Those ICM figures have quite neat poses and it all works together well. I used the CMK engine on the one I did and also had trouble getting the engine to fit well. It may be something to do with the design of the kit in this area being difficult to fit an aftermarket piece onto. Often the way with Tamiya kits - they fit so well until you try to bend the rules on them by adding other bits.

Cheers,

Mickey

mickey Posted Today, 08:20 AM

Absolutely beautiful figure painting and wonderfully restrained paint work on the Mosquito. Those ICM figures have quite neat poses and it all works together well. I used the CMK engine on the one I did and also had trouble getting the engine to fit well. It may be something to do with the design of the kit in this area being difficult to fit an aftermarket piece onto. Often the way with Tamiya kits - they fit so well until you try to bend the rules on them by adding other bits.

Cheers,

Mickey

IIRC some of the CMK masters are produced by the same guy that produces some of the Aires stuff so it might not be the kit.

Magnificent work!!

Yes, I would agree to that statement. Very nicely done. I've only used Aires engine sets for the BF-110 and Hellcat. The Hellcat was sweat, the 110 was a bear just like you describe with this mossie kit sio I can really relate to how much work you've done here.

Nice work

Thanks dudes for the comments.

Im just glad Im not the only one who has difficulties with those aires sets. I might give the cockpit set I bought for the 1:32 Acadamy F-16 a miss if its going to be such a hassle to fit?? Or is it any better ?? oh the dilemma

chris

That's a beauty. Looks like an actual snapshot of how things were in an airfield

cdplayer

That is an absolutely stunning dio. :cheers: You can just imagine it as a scene from WWII. Two questions for you though:

How did you do the grass, what did you use? Perhaps the most realistic "airfield" surface I have seen.

Any particular reason behind you avatar?

RP

Hi Guys

Thanks again for the comments !! To be honest I just try and emulate the models I see here in the forums and at IPMS avon where Im a member. Its great to be invloved with a hobby where people are so generous with giving tips and advice on techniques !!!!!!!

Im new to the hobby and really learning as Im going along, but in responce to a couple of questions

The grass is the standard static model railway grass. I used the spring mix which gives a pretty good colour and texture staright from the bag. The colour of the underpainting is equally important as it will unifies the overall finish. I used a light sandy mix of acrylics. Once it dried I watered down some pva glue and painted it over the surface concious that I wanted to leave areas bare, then sprinkled the grass over the whole base. Once it was dry I shook off the access to leave the patchy grass. I then mixed some very light greeny yellow paint and very lightly began to drybrush the whole surface. It makes the detail pop out and ties the grass to the rest of the model giving a sence of unity to the whole.

I must have tried 20 or so compositions of figures and accessories before settling on the one you see. The first couple of arrangements had nearly double the figures, loads of boxs and the second engine from the aires set. It was overcluttered and looked a mess. I spent ages painting all the figures etc so the tendancy is to want to use them all. However the more I took away the better the composition looked "less is more". I also tried to connect all the figures with eye contact which helps draw your eye around the composition and gives it a natural feel as doues grouping the figures in 3's or by them selves. The trouble I find with lots of refernce photos of groundcrew or pilots working on aircraft especially from WW2 is that they are often posing for the camera, so I tend to look more at the paintings and sketches of aviation artists like Micheal Turner, or Charles Thompson for inspiration. In essence Im tring to create a 3d illustration if you know what I mean.

Oh yes and as for the avatar, I would like to say that I took it from the second Typhoon about to refuel, but alas it was just out of my study window last year when they were taking part in a compatability demonstration for european defence ministers at Lynham.

Thanks for looking

chris