Theoretically 4 (two under the fuselage and one under each outboard wing pylon), but I've only seen one photo of one carrying that many, and that was the prototype!

In fact I can't say I've seen many photos of the SHAR carrying AMRAAMs now I think of it, though it was capable of doing so and would presumably find them very useful to defend the fleet :soapbox:

Edited by Will2K65
4 but normally 2 on the inboard wing stations with Aim 9M outboard.. The exhaust would cook the ones under the fuselage so for real they wouldn't be used. They were rarely carried for real any way.

Interesting comment on whether missles on the fuselage would be cooked by the exhaust nozzels. I asked this question on the Harrier website and I was told that SHARs don't use the combination of Sidewinders and AIM 120s - that its either AIM 120 or AIM 9s, not combined.

YB

Could carry maximum of 4, two on the outer wing pylons and 2 on fuselarge stations.

4 but normally 2 on the inboard wing stations with Aim 9M outboard.. The exhaust would cook the ones under the fuselage so for real they wouldn't be used. They were rarely carried for real any way.

I have seen pics of them flying with them on the fuselarge stations. Dont forget with a harrier the front nozzels provide high pressure cold air and the rear ones the hot air so would not "cook" the missiles. They would not have gone to all the toruble of specially developing a fuselarge pylon with special missile release clamps which extend the missile before firing just for show.

I have also seen pics of them loaded with AMRAAMS on the Fuselarge and Sidewinders on the wings, however the most seen load is just 2 AMRAAMS on the wings.

It is interesting to note that one of the main reasons given for these airframes not to be sold as Warbirds etc was the fact that they had the intergrated electronics for the AMRAAM.

Julien

I would normally not hesitate to refute that, but knowing your background I have a degree of hesitation! But here goes!

I've never seen AMRAAMS on anywhere other than the under fuselage or outer wing pylons - I'm sure on Southern Watch they carried them on the fuselage pylons with nothing on the outer pylons.

Tanks on the inner pylons

I've only ever seen fueltanks on the inner wing pylons.

I seem to remember that the pylons are hard plumbed just for fuel, and it's quite a job to remove them for airshows.

Jamie Hunter's book does have a few photos of a SHARs with 2 underfuselage AMRAAMs - and BOL/LAU-7 countermeasure pods on outer pylons or empty outer pylons.