Twin F/A-18A+ build in 48th - I needed a change!

Well, Rockeyes are painted. I've made a bit of progress on #3 tonight. It is up on its gear, although the upper and lower fuselage halves haven't been mated just yet. I've been trying to get all of the necessary filling and sanding done on each half of the airframe before mating them. Otherwise it is going together well.

I was able to get the correct pointy-ness on the nose on this one. For some reason, the Monogram kit has some serious issues with the molding of the radome and it was just waaaaay too rounded at the tip on my other two. I'm gonna have to go back and see if I can "sharpen" the other two up.

In any case, here's what #3 will look like once she's finished (as she appeared during the unit's OIF cruise aboard the TR)

162904AJ200.jpg

Jon

Hey all,

Ok the twin build has become a triple build! All three are primed in black, have had flaps dropped and are pretty much ready for paint.... the miniscule can of propellant that I got didn't even last the underside of one bird, so I'm just a little miffed.

But, all three are coming along well otherwise! Sorry about the quality of the image, my camera's being weird.

P6290002.jpg

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

Ok now that I've gotten a compressor, I've run out of both Ghost Gray shades! I've gotten one of my three birds painted and partially glossed. One of the drawbacks of living in Enterprise, AL is the complete lack of hobby shops anywhere around here! The one place we do have is primarily an RC shop and their supplies section is really sparse.

So, the VFA-204 bird will be first up, once I get some more gloss. I should be able to get up to Montgomery next weekend, so hopefully I'll get some new paint at Hobby Lobby.

Pics will be coming soon!

Jon

The decals, surprisingly were a lot of fun. They're from the Twobobs Katrina Relief sheet and are definitely some of the best decals I've worked with. This bird's ANG counterpart is already upstairs on my display shelf. I'm hoping I'll get to finish this one later in the week. Right now I've gotta concentrate on flying nights and shooting stuff!

Jon

Almost there! The decals for the VMFA-142 bird are incomplete but I'm hoping to print off some re-sized gator heads that are accurate for an OIF bird. If I can get that done, then I'll be just about finished. All 3 birds have their decals otherwise. I've had some issues with antennas and main gear, but I should be able to finish these puppies by next week!

Jon