In her time a real warrior

66-7461.jpg

Son-of-a-gun (no pun intended)...look at all of those gun pods :o ! It would be interesting to see a pic of an F-4 on a firing pass letting loose with all of those pods... :thumbsup: !

Rocketdrvr (Mike) PM inbound regarding the 1/72 LIAS F-4D decals.

Regards,

Don

Son-of-a-gun (no pun intended)...look at all of those gun pods :o ! It would be interesting to see a pic of an F-4 on a firing pass letting loose with all of those pods... :thumbsup: !

Regards,

Don

I know VMFA-122 flew several missions in Vietnam using three gun pods. Drendel portrayed this configuration on pages 32 and 33 of his "USMC Phantoms in Combat" book. The configuration that I posted would not be possible as the gun pods on the inboard pylons would interfere with the retraction of the main gear. Still looks cool though!

Cheers!

John

Nah, not too much gas at all!

Those wing tanks are usually empty by the time the jet has made it down to EOR!

Don't forget the fact that she's carrying a centerline gun pod as well. That sucker certainly isn't small!

Cheers!

John

I like the Hill Grey schemes as well

Although

I also like this scheme:

65-0681a.jpg

The Euro 1 and ADC schemes were my least favorite

Cheers!

John

I never could warm up to the Euro 1 scheme, but I thought the ADC scheme could look pretty sharp. This one is kind of worm, but an F-4 looks good in gray.

F-4D65-0698.jpg

F-4D66-8699.jpg

And the already mentioned Hill scheme.

F-4D66-7467.jpg

Edited by jinxx1
Personally, I like the Euro 1 scheme ... Am I in the minority on that ?

Gregg

The colors were not bad, you just had to have a boat load of light directly shining on the aircraft to get

anything but a dark green shape.

Personally I liked the SEA W/A on the Phantom, add LORAN, chipped paint, a little nose art, and a pave spike pod and you have a strike aircraft!

F-4D-66-8714-Bill-Spidle.jpg

Cliff White Phantoms are MiG bait. :huh:

Another striker. This time "Fred" from the 465TFS at Tinker.

F-4D66-7737BillSpidle.jpg

Thanks for posting this one...... Last time I seen a 465th F-4 in SEA scheme I was eating 'crushed bananas' and poopin' green.....

One of my projects on the 'must-build-before-I-die' list is a MiG killer F-4D S/N # 66-550 from the 465th in Hill Grey II...

I grew up about 3-4 miles SE of the active of Tinker.... whenever I heard the unmistakeable sound of an approaching Phantom......

I'd run over whoever stood between me and the nearest door!

Edited by Scot M
Thanks for posting this one...... Last time I seen a 465th F-4 in SEA scheme I was eating 'crushed bananas' and poopin' green....

One of my projects on the 'must-build-before-I-die' list is a MiG killer F-4D S/N # 66-550 from the 465th in Hill Grey II...

Well, not Hill scheme, but...

F-4D66-7550.jpg

A couple of C model MDD photos.

Loaded with a couple of conventional bombs

Those are great period shots. Kind of like the one in the Sep 65 issue of National Geographic showing the potential load out.

Thanks for posting this one...... Last time I seen a 465th F-4 in SEA scheme I was drinking Kool-Aid,and playing with my GI Joe 'Skystryker'

I grew up about 3-4 miles SE of the active of Tinker.... whenever I heard the unmistakeable sound of an approaching Phantom......

I'd run over whoever stood between me and the nearest door!

There is a very good possibility that I am in this pic that my Dad took......................................

F4H-1-Bob-Spidle.jpg