In her time a real warrior

Nice Cliff. Here she is in 1989 near the end of her service life.

F-4D-66-7550-ARC.jpg

I thought the 465th still had Phantoms till 90' ? When the 465th transitioned to Vipers it was right around that time frame....then BRACC traded the Vipers for -135R's...

Nice pics fellas' brings back good memories.... This reminds me... I think I have just about everything for my F-4 build except the AFRES back by the vert stab.... having trouble finding that one in 1/32...

Edited by Scot M
There is a very good possibility that I am in this pic that my Dad took......................................

F4H-1-Bob-Spidle.jpg

Wow!

Look at the photo of that F4H-1!!

and

look at the little Spidle under the sign!

Hey Bill, is that image lifted off a cave wall in Texas? :huh:

I thought the 465th still had Phantoms till 90' ? When the 465th transitioned to Vipers it was right around that time frame....then BRACC traded the Vipers for -135R's...

Nice pics fellas' brings back good memories.... This reminds me... I think I have just about everything for my F-4 build except the AFRES back by the vert stab.... having trouble finding that one in 1/32...

There were a number of tail trades when the 301st started going to F-4Es (457TFS and 704TFS).

Some jets went to Korea others to AMARC.

I shot 465TFS F-16s in Sept 1989. I am waiting for Jake to do his AFRES VIper book so I can help. :huh:

Another cool set of jets was the Kansas ANG back in 1985.

I made a visit up there on a cloudy day and got at least

8 different paint schemes including the first Hill One jet

that I ever laid eyes on. Back then the buzz was calling

them Egyptian scheme.

bill

Any of them look like this?

http://www.5053phantoms.com/photos/display...cat=0&pos=2

Another cool set of jets was the Kansas ANG back in 1985.

I made a visit up there on a cloudy day and got at least

8 different paint schemes including the first Hill One jet

that I ever laid eyes on. Back then the buzz was calling

them Egyptian scheme.

bill

Yup, those were the good ole days my friend.

My dad was in the 184th and I remember taking trips out there quite often to see what the latest scheme was.

I only wish that I had been more into making sure that I had photos and nose art of each jet in the unit...

I have to say though, of the 80+ Phantoms that the 184th operated, I have half of them documented.

I think one of the best air shows I ever had the pleasure of attending was @ Tinker.... I forget the year but the 465th's Phantoms flying... but the 'Jayhawks' were there along with the 'Razorbacks' from Ft.Smith doing the ever popular 'Fire and Fury' bombing sims....I was too young to concern myself with lugging around a (at the time) stupid camera...but IIRC there had to have been at least 15 Phantoms ripping up the sky that weekend..

I also got to see the RF-4C from Birminham that had the flashy paint job,that Hasegawa released a while back in 1/48

I think one of the best air shows I ever had the pleasure of attending was @ Tinker.... I forget the year but the 465th's Phantoms flying... but the 'Jayhawks' were there along with the 'Razorbacks' from Ft.Smith doing the ever popular 'Fire and Fury' bombing sims....I was too young to concern myself with lugging around a (at the time) stupid camera...but IIRC there had to have been at least 15 Phantoms ripping up the sky that weekend..

I also got to see the RF-4C from Birminham that had the flashy paint job,that Hasegawa released a while back in 1/48

REALLY?

WOW 15 Phantoms in the air...

Now THAT would have been cool to see!

They would beat up the field at the annual airshow or friends and family day and I always loved that

Sure was a shame to see them go

REALLY?

WOW 15 Phantoms in the air...

One of the most distinguishing memories I have of that show was looking down the flightline and wishing I'd had a camera to shoot pics of all the tails that were so perfectly lined up....

Edited by Scot M

I recently built a Marine F-4S of VMFA-232, BuNo. 158362, in a two tone gray paintscheme, of which I only had to apply one shade of gray to complete. The lighter gray is just natural plastic. Of course I did paint the exhausts. I then decaled it and drowned it in dullcote. In in all, a quick and dirty build of a cheap Italeri kit (1/72nd scale), but it still looks pretty nice just by being a Rhino.

Edited by Tomcat Fanatic
F-4D66-7550.jpg

Oh ya now that's cool...a Mig killer... :nanner:!

Largest distributor of Mig parts in SEA...or something to that affect :) .

Great pictures guys!

Regards,

Don

Another MiG Killer

F-4D_66-0271_arc.jpg

F-4D_66-0271a_arc.jpg

:nanner: Hot darn I have not seen a photo of a Mig killer Phantom dressed up in that camo scheme before! Sweet!

MORE Mig killers please... :) !

Regards.

Another Dayton jet

More please!! Did you ever get to shoot 7765 in the 30th Annivesary Dayton or London scheme?

One of my projects on the 'must-build-before-I-die' list is a MiG killer F-4D S/N # 66-550 from the 465th in Hill Grey II...

It would bring tears to your eyes to see how that jet wound up. After it was retired from the 906TFG, it was put on display at a VFW post in Enon (very small town just east of WPAFB). When I last saw it in the summer of 2004, it was in absolutely horrid condition. Probably the worst shape I've ever seen a jet on display. I think it was returned to the AF last summer and is now undergoing restoration in Kentucky.

Jake

Jake,

funny you should mention the stick birds at Wright Patt. I remember when they put the two of them up there and it was always nice to drive by the gate and see them there. The family was in Fairborn last Labour Day Weekend and we drove around the base to show the little one a bit of history.

Was I ever P***** <_< when I saw the two Rhino's gone!!

Then I read in a magazine that one was restored and is on display for a local Veteran's Hall??, not sure if that is right. I have prints of the two of them on the poles which were large square chrome towers for them to look like they were launching. Now they have a Eagle and Viper on display. Boy has the town around the base just shrivvelled up and disappeared. Also I was very disappointed in seeing the only 906 Memorial at the Museum off to the far side by itself with the mini F-16 in DO Markings that were badly weathered and a couple of skateboard stickers on the fuselage.

Times sure have changed. Maybe I will scan some of my Dayton stuff and post it.

Mike - Rocketdrvr

Jake,

funny you should mention the stick birds at Wright Patt.

Mike, don't confuse the Gate Guards at the main gate with 7550 at Enon. 7550 is the jet that is now undergoing restoration. The two jets that had been up at the main gate were removed in December 05 (why, I can't imagine. <_< ), and are now sitting outside the restoration hangar at the museum. I don't know what the current plans are for them. I just hope at least one of them is restored, and remains in the 906TFG paint. Those two jets were 66-7554 (a double MiG-killer and former 906TFG flagship) and 66-7626.

Jake