In her time a real warrior

And the really nice thing?... Hasegawa is going to be reissuing their F-4C/D in 1/72 scale soon! :nanner:

Just need them to re-tool and re-release it in a proper scale now :lol:

Truly is good news for you bug scale guys though :wasntme:

Cheers!

John

CHEATER! (Those were some fun tours at Luke. F-104s, F-15s and F-4Cs)

Well gosh, it's not like I tried to sneak in an F-4N, or something as egregious. Those Luke tours were indeed great.

F-4D65-0667.jpg

F-4D65-0658.jpg

F-4D66-8800.jpg

I don't think this section would be complete without a photo of the Collings Foundation F-4D.

This aircraft (65-0749) served with the Kansas Air National Guard as well as the Texas Air National Guard before being retired.

It was painted in the markings of 66-7463 (probably the most famous Air Force Phantom of the Vietnam War) and is seen here at the Little Rock air show in 2005.

Cheers!

John

F-4D65-0749NX749CF.jpg

I don't think this section would be complete without a photo of the Collings Foundation F-4D. This aircraft (65-0749) served with the Kansas Air National Guard as well as the Texas Air National Guard before being retired.

Hey John,

I've always been curious as to how they got the clearances to fly that on the show circuit as a Warbird? I thought the AF was pretty strict about allowing former airframes to fly in civie hands... as I thought most jet-birds on the circuit now were brought back from foreign countries and not former AF machines.

Good question there J.C.

I too thought that there were rules forbidding such a thing. It appears that the Collings Foundation made a very good case for the preservation of the aircraft in flyable condition (for which I for one am grateful).

Cheers!

John

Hi Bill, Cliff, John et al,

Every time I look at this thread there's something new to stimulate the modelling buds; thanks to all for your posts and for reminding me why I can't concentrate on just one........ what, is it time to check the thread again?

Bill will no doubt roll his eyes at this, but any chance of seeing more pics of the 474th TFW (NA) F-4Ds, especially in the wraparound SEA scheme? Sorry to pester you guys, and not to suggest that all your earlier images have gone unappreciated - much the opposite!

Thanks again and regards,

Andrew.

Hey John,

I've always been curious as to how they got the clearances to fly that on the show circuit as a Warbird? I thought the AF was pretty strict about allowing former airframes to fly in civie hands... as I thought most jet-birds on the circuit now were brought back from foreign countries and not former AF machines.

An act of Congress.

And a lot of promising.

Nice pictures guys , and quite timely,

I'm just finishing off a NY-ANG F-4D in 32nd , using the old CE decal sheet , its one of the 4 that went to William Tell that year , with the Rhino nose art , I've been waiting years to do a short nosed hill Grey F-4 , and I'm now almost content ...

Well apart from that CE Sheet full of beautiful Michigan ANG- ADC Grey F-4C's that came last week :salute:

.. So its another 32nd F-4 .. big deal.... :worship:

Nice Cliff. Here she is in 1989 near the end of her service life.

F-4D-66-7550-ARC.jpg

Many thanks for sharing these phantastic pics, Bill ! :cop:

Do you have a shot of this beauty from the other side ?

(I am looking for her name - as I wanted to include these markings on the forthcoming sheet "F-4D MiG killers in AFRes, ANG and IRIAF service).

Cheers

Diego

I'm a little late arriving at the party, but I hope you all won't mind some more D images.

Someone on a Hyperscale forum recently inquired about what the aux air doors were for. Aux air doors are one of my few unpleasant memories about F-4 maintenance. We were always replacing bumper pads on the doors, and changing the bulb seal on the airframe with the engine installed was a frustration to say the least because of the FOD potential. Thankfully I never got a 'Phantom bite' from an aux air door but from other parts, oh yes.

Slide7-3.jpg

Slide6-3.jpg

Slide5-3.jpg

Slide4-3.jpg

Slide3-3.jpg

Slide2-3.jpg

Slide1-3.jpg

I'm a little late arriving at the party, but I hope you all won't mind some more D images.

Someone on a Hyperscale forum recently inquired about what the aux air doors were for. Aux air doors are one of my few unpleasant memories about F-4 maintenance. We were always replacing bumper pads on the doors, and changing the bulb seal on the airframe with the engine installed was a frustration to say the least because of the FOD potential. Thankfully I never got a 'Phantom bite' from an aux air door but from other parts, oh yes.

Never too late. The F-4s in the snow are neat, just glad I was not there. I hate snow!

I don't have any F-4C/D pics I can offer, just F-4E pics, but I stumbled across this page with the Collings F-4D while looking for F-4 pics the other day:

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/Mis...oAir/index.html

I wish the Collings Foundation would bring her to the East Coast some day.

BTW, I saw a post on the F-4 Yahoo group that due to high demand from air shows, the Air Force is going to add 14 more low-time F-4s to the Heritage Flight operation! Pretty cool!

Ben

I don't have any F-4C/D pics I can offer, just F-4E pics, but I stumbled across this page with the Collings F-4D while looking for F-4 pics the other day:

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/Mis...oAir/index.html

I wish the Collings Foundation would bring her to the East Coast some day.

BTW, I saw a post on the F-4 Yahoo group that due to high demand from air shows, the Air Force is going to add 14 more low-time F-4s to the Heritage Flight operation! Pretty cool!

Ben

No kidding??

WOW!!

That will be very cool to see!!