Airfix 1:48 BAE Hawk

Blimey - look what I found at Hannants!

X48047.JPG

I have this sheet , great value with load of colour schemes on offer.

Get it and you will be building hawks for years :D

Do you have any ideas what markings you are planning for your model?

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD

Hi Mike

I have the Airfix Hawk, Neomega cockpit, CMK undercarage bay set, CMK exhust and flap set, Xtradecal Hawk sheet, Model Aliance stencil sheet all waiting in the cupboard for when I get in the mood to start my own Hawk project.

I'm planning to build an AD grey 1 TWU Hawk T-1A.

Shaun.

For the love of God Mike, you're a bloody modelling machine man!

Between the Herky, Spit, that Valiant (if it's still on-going?) and now this I'm going to be spending far too much time watching your progress here while my own project gets ignored.

Hi, hope you are aware that the front gear bay from CMK is wrong, it is made in wrong way, like not front to rear, but rear to front. you have to sand it a bit to fit it there. will post some pics later from my progress.

jakub

and no, CMK won´t repair that ..

I have unleashed a monster. Yet another kit started. Caz will have my guts for garters if you clutter up the new extension with finished kits. Looking good as always though. About the Spit cam I think you may have sent me a pm about it but I think it but it appears to have got lost in the forum migration. Check your pm's for a description of how I did it on the Vic.

Getting down to business on that Lightning now. Next time you come over I'll let you have a peek.

Nigel.

Hi Mike

I have the Airfix Hawk, Neomega cockpit, CMK undercarage bay set, CMK exhust and flap set, Xtradecal Hawk sheet, Model Aliance stencil sheet all waiting in the cupboard for when I get in the mood to start my own Hawk project.

I'm planning to build an AD grey 1 TWU Hawk T-1A.

Shaun.

Shaun,

Flightpath do a very nice etched Hawk ladder too, if any use :worship:

If I ever get the courage, planning to model T1A XX340 Grey/green which I photographed @ RAF St Athan in Aug '81: CMK 'pit (possibly Airwaves canopy, looks easier to split); Pavla bang seats; Aeroclub undercarriage; Flightpath CBLS stores. And said decal sheet. Was going to add depth to the wheel bays with brute force and razor saw :doh:

This thread is sound though - kudos, Mike: thanks for sharing and best for your build!

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Next job will be to paint the wheel wells - are these usually white? Can't seem to find any references right now. Mind you, I've not looked very hard yet :cheers:

From memory in the old Linerights profile, I'm sure they're listed as Light Aircraft Grey.... I'm not 100% on that, but that's what I recall.

Ian

Very nice pit Mike, just putting the finishing touches to my T1.a Neomega pit for my Airfix Red Arrow, might post some pic's when I get a minute. I see you've been having fun with the CMK wheel wells! I intend to use this set too so I best prepare for some surgery!

:cheers:

David

Thanks Ian - that's what the Airfix paint call-outs say too, but I was skeptical, as I've seen a number of planes with white gear legs, and also white gear bay door inners. That set me wondering. Frankly, I prefer the white, as I'll get better contrast when I weather them up.

Mike - the inside of the u/c doors are Black(unless an Arrow), the undercarriage legs are light a/c Grey as are the bays themselves.

Gary

Thanks Gary - does that also apply to the grey & camouflaged birds on the Hannants sheet? I'm talking more about the gear bay doors than the undercarriage legs here.

TIA

Mike,

If you can live with the regrettable quality of enclosed (need to sort out cleaning/better scanning) they may be of use on this question :)

Hawk006.jpg

Hawk008.jpg

Cheers,

Patrick

I'm just on a scavenge around the net to find out the position of the brake lines for this beastie. Not very apparent on your nose wheel pic, unless they're on the other side. :)

Mike,

I haven't got a better pic out of that series - have a VERY clear shot here from Model Aircraft Monthly (June 06) and there are NO visible lines on the nosewheel - straight down the centre of the main ones though.

HTH,

Patrick1

Thanks Patrick - I did wonder about that... looks clean in every shot I've seen, and that's why then! :)

When you say straight down the middle of the MLG, could you elaborate? I'm going to go on a quick hunt for pics (think I've seen some somewhere), and will post up what I find :D

Mike,

May be worth your while buzzing the SAM editor, neil@sampublications.com and mentioning said Kev Baker 6/06 article, the wheel well pics alone are stellar. As I make it out, the lines (black) go centrally up the front of the wheel 'fork' then inwards offset a couple of inches, around the various protrusions on the upper wheel leg, straight up into the bay. Pic is worth a thousand words, and I bet the mag will let you have a copy. U/C leg is what I'd call Light Admiralty Grey in colour (i.e. a bit blue/greenish)...

By the way, can I say I really admire what you've done so far? Ace stuff :)

Patrick

I'll drop Neil a line & just hope he doesn't remember me criticising (constructively, I hope) the format the magazine was heading towards (i.e. all obscure research & no modelling). Actually though, the modelling bias did seem to return a few months later, so I'll take all the credit for that (not)

Mike,

I'd never seen the mag before - it came out of a pile of the things (from 1940 to current) my father had sorted out when I mentioned my (growing) stash. This one has some very nice 262 Sturmvogel pics, hence own main interest (do you too have 'stray' aeroplanes outside your normal remit? :thumbsup:)

Best for the build (cheers for helpful comments on air brake: will take coward's way out i.e. leave it open :whistle:)

Patrick

Shaun,

Flightpath do a very nice etched Hawk ladder too, if any use :cheers:

Patrick

Hi Patrick, I have this ladder set.

It's looks like it has more parts than the Hawk kit, I plan to use it with!

It does look very nice in the packet, Just have to find the time to assemble it.

Shaun.

Thanks Gary - does that also apply to the grey & camouflaged birds on the Hannants sheet? I'm talking more about the gear bay doors than the undercarriage legs here.

TIA

Using the Linewrights Aeroguide No1 Hawk.

I have the following information, remember this book features a Green/Grey TWU Hawk, later Hawks may have a diferent colour scheme.

All Undercarrage bays are glosy White, the inside of the nose doors can be either White or light grey depending on airframe. All 3 Undercarrage legs are light grey. The nose leg has no lines or pipes on it, except at the top above the castor point were a small indicator lamp is located.( this is used to comfirm the undercarrage is down).

The main legs have a black ribbed pipe runing down the front of the leg, also a silver Hyd line runs half way down the leg before wrapping itself around to the rear of the leg to conect to the wheel hub. The inside of the large main gear wheel cover door is white on the inside (on later aircraft colour schemes this door is painted the main airframe colour, Red Arrows-red, Black aircraft-black).

Insides of the doors covering the main legs are quoted as painted white.

Hope this helps :cheers:

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD