Completed: Unofficial Armor Group Build

After a few hours work this M26 is just about ready for paint. I need to work on cleaning up the seam on the turret, clean up the side skirts, and prep the wheels. I did manage to lose a small piece that looked like some attaching bracket on the side of the turret. I found some reference photos on line that showed this bracket missing on the real thing also. So I'm going to fill the attaching hole in and leave it at that.

M26pershing_build1.jpg

M26pershing_build2.jpg

M26pershing_build3.jpg

It has been a treat to put together such a satisfying project in just a few hours.

The owner of the hobby shop where I bought this kit told me "Mr Tamiya will go to his grave trying to flog 1/48 armor." I'm sure he knows better about such things that than I do, but I for one am quite pleased with this kit and I will definitely be getting more of these little gems.

Mark

Well, so much for my grand idea of using an all-black base as a sort of 'uber-preshade'. It worked really well for the single colour parts (lower hull, roadwheels) but all fell apart when it came do the camo. I just don't have the airbrush skills to lay the camo down in one pass with very light control. I ended up having to go over each colour 2 or 3 times until I had it all straight, by which time any pretense of a preshade was long gone.

Oh well, it will all come out in the 'wash' <_<

So here's the stripy Panther.

Camo1.jpg

Cheers,

Matt

Well, so much for my grand idea of using an all-black base as a sort of 'uber-preshade'. It worked really well for the single colour parts (lower hull, roadwheels) but all fell apart when it came do the camo. I just don't have the airbrush skills to lay the camo down in one pass with very light control. I ended up having to go over each colour 2 or 3 times until I had it all straight, by which time any pretense of a preshade was long gone.

Oh well, it will all come out in the 'wash' :crying:

So here's the stripy Panther.

Camo1.jpg

Cheers,

Matt

I wouldn't sweat the preshade. From the photographs it looks like enough got through, especially on the roadwheels, were it's to best effect. The camouflage looks sharp! I'm thinking of picking up a Panther G late for a diorama depicting the 12th SS getting thrown out of Krinkelt, during the Battle of the Bulge. I've already got an M10 and M20 for the 644th TD battalion. The thought of scratchbuilding even a small part of that village daunts me, however. :whistle:

Rampage, that Pershing looks like it went together really well. Tamiya's got to realise a 1/48th scale dragon wagon, to go with their tanks.

nice work everyone!!!!

GOTTA LOVE ARMOR!!! BATTLESHIPS OF LAND!!!!!

ray

I'll second that. Very cool stuff indeed.

Well done guys.

C5sparkcatcher,

The detail on the interior of your M113 is excellent. The MRE box is a nice touch. :D

Matt,

I think your stripy Panther looks amazing. I think the airbrush work is superb. I just finished working on the wheels of my Pershing and am a bit crossed eyed to say the least, then I took a look at your Panther and all its wheels. :crying:

Do you guys have some trick to painting the black on the wheels? I find it quite monotonous painting all those wheels black.

Fishwelding,

I agree with you on the Dragon wagon, I hope they also continue the M26 line with perhaps a M47/48 and onto the M60 :coolio:

Mark

\

As far as road wheels, I use a paint marker. get them at Wally World for around $2.

ray.

A paint marker :blink: , Brilliant! I'll give it a try.

By the way, isn't Wally World the name of the amusement park in the movie "National Lampoons,Vacation" :worship:

Mark

Do you guys have some trick to painting the black on the wheels? I find it quite monotonous painting all those wheels black.

I'm not sure its a trick as such, but I can tell you how I did it. It helped that the combination of the Panther wheel and Dragons moulding makes for a very nice lip between the tyre and the wheel rim.

I used Citadel Chaos black acrylic, as it brushes really well, especially thinned slightly, and touch dries pretty quick. I have a small artists pallette, I put paint in one spot, water in another, and then kept a lightly thinned mix in a third.

I found an old paintbrush that would mount the wheels on one end or another. I laid out all the wheels end to end, and started with the first one, I mounted it on the brush handle, and turning it gently, hand painted one face of the tyre. Repeat that for all wheels. By the last wheel, the first one is dry enough to mount the other way up and paint the back face. Repeat down the assembly line. Back to the first one and paint the outer edge, and repeat down the line.

By breaking each wheel into 3 steps, I didn't have to mount all 24 on sticks at the same time, I could handle them on and off the single bruch handle as I went along.

Yes it was tedious, I think it took me about half an hour to do them all, maybe a bit longer. With a bit of practice I could load the brush just enough to do an entire face in one stroke as I rotated the wheel.

HTH,

Matt

...Do you guys have some trick to painting the black on the wheels? I find it quite monotonous painting all those wheels black...

I used to buy wheel masks such as these:

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=EUXT137

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=EUXT138

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=EUXT140

They worked like a charm and were beyond easy and saved bags of time. But as you can see, they can get a tad expensive if you use them on all your AFV's (although, the expense is probably small in comparison to the price of the specific kit, your time...). I was walking down the sticker isle at a business store once a while back (Staples I think) and came across bright round stickers in different sizes, four sheets for something silly like .99 cents! I picked a few different sizes up and sat at my work bench going through my various AFV kits and was surprised to see that they actually fit certain types of road wheels just as well as the Eduard masks! I have used them twice since and with great results.

Regards,

Don

Well, making progress slowly and discovering a few problems with the back end of the kit.

I need to stick on a few bits of PE and the undercarriage (oops!) I mean suspension, then I need to get back down to Bovingdon and measure up to scratch build a new rear end.

Here is the front

pic_2.jpg

and here is the back

pic_3.jpg

and here is what the back should look like. 2 engine covers, not 4, and a completely different radiator grill.

Should be simple enough ...

rear_fullsize.jpg

cheers

Grant

Im making good progress on the kit I picked, have the chassis built and the gun started, but its slow going. I should be starting on the front suspension and drive train this week.

Btw its not an SdKfz 7, its an SdKfz 10/4 by Esci. Shows you how long its been since I mucked around with armor. The kit is an old one from my dad, and it was missing the box top, so I assumed it was a 7. Anyway the fit is somewhat sloppy in spots, especially around the engine compartment and hood, but its coming along. I'll try to post some photos in the next week or so.

Sabre

Got to put a coat of paint on today:

00-1.jpg

Still got a lot more painting to go....

Daniel

ChernayaAkula- Thanks for the comment. Yes this M1A1 kit is really good, I'm thinking of making another one for this GB if time permits.

Edited by Super Hornet 88

Welcome aboard Skuki and Smithery.

Skuki,

Your scratch building is amazing. Superb wormanship.

Smithery,

Excellent weathering on that Tiger, very realistic.

I'm hoping to finish of my Pershing some time this week. Things progressed rapidly until I came to the road wheels and tracks and then things slowed way down.

Mark