• 2 weeks later...

had to make my own decals for this lettering - used a laser jet printer

100_6307.JPG

and got the color coat on. I had to refill the divot on the leading edge, and have not sanded it yet. I also painted the tires

On the forward side of the cockpit edge, there are those funky looking inserts (almost like a I am a spammer....please report this post. swoosh). I don't know why they have the kit that way, but I don't think the seam is supposed to be noticable :wave:

100_6331.jpg

thanks for looking,

cheers

Ken

in honor of St Patrick's Day, I did some decalling. When test fitting the nose decal, I found out it goes over the gun plates, which I have not painted yet.

The sections missing on the multiple red fuselage bands is due to the fact that the decals are for an H model, and there is a rectangular protrusion there on the H. There are extra decals with a curve to them to be placed there, but seeing this is not really an H model, I can't use those. Fortunately, there are extra red bands on the sheet that I can add into that spot. The whitish area under the decals is from the milky glue that is used on these decals.

100_6342.jpg

100_6341.jpg

Looking good so far. Why does your model have red stripes when the picture of the gate guard has green stripes? Are you using a different reference?

Darwin

Thanks Darwin. When operational, some, if not all of them had red stripes on the tail, fuselage and wing tips. It is what is on the decal sheet, and I don't know if some also were green like the museum piece.

If you go here:

http://johnsweblounge.com/galleryca/f86h

You can see a built up one, and a real one with even different MASS ANG lettering and green tail band with red fuselage stripes :whistle:

Here it is with half of the nose decal applied. I cut it in half to work with the compound curves better

100_6343.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Richard - I do need to take more pics - I was in a rush when I did those

thanks Colin - I used basic decal paper from Papa Tango (Think that's the name), and I printed on a laser printer, and then a light coat of Future. You can see how they are more thick with the edge of the MASS AIR GUARD sections. Those are the only decals I made, the rest are from the sheet from the Collectiare kit

I like it! Is it part of a set of Mass ANG history? I plan on doing that for VMFA-531 and the VTANG. I'm just lucky the VTANG has stayed with F-16s for over 20 years. It keeps me from getting any farther behind!

thanks Dave! Yes it is part of the history. I have an F-15 already done in the late 1980's scheme. I am also doing the T-33 (thread in here) but got a bit stalled on it. I hope to finish it for the deadline, but not sure.

Is your VTANG going to be all 48th? At one time, I had plans to do it in 72nd......

Is your VTANG going to be all 48th? At one time, I had plans to do it in 72nd......

I guess only the F-16s are going to be 1/48th and that's only because the only decals available are in quarter scale. Once 2bobs releases the 60th decals I'll have for distinct schemes.

My prefered scale is 1/72. I've got the F-47 done and I have a C-45, F-84B, F-89J, B-57B (to convert to an EB-57B and an F-4D in the stash. I need to get a P-51D, T-33 and an F-102 to more or less complete the set. I could also add a B-25 and the various liason/transports the GMBs have flown. I'm pretty much on my own for markings but what I've seen pictures of are pretty simple.