Guys

I have decided to add another entry - an F-86 from the 101st FIS when they were based at Boston's Logan Airport. The real jet is an F-86H, and will be using the ESCI F-86E kit with Collectaire's decals. I couldn't see spending over $100 for the Collectaire kit. The decals are from Darren Roberts (thanks Darren!)

f-86.jpg

the real jet at Otis ANGB

f-86%20102FW%20Otis%202004%2001.jpg

I have done some assembly - the seat is just set in the tub. I added the paperclip stubs for the wheels on this as well (Steve F contain yourself please)

100_6077.JPG

added some fishing weights to the cockpit to try and keep it from being a tail sitter

100_6079.JPG

the gun ports on the E model has 3 openings, whereas the H has 2 (refer to photo above). I will be modifying this plate to reflect the 2 openings. Interestingly, I had not noticed the lines going across the pieces until I uploaded the photos

100_6078.JPG

and the decals...I have to get letters for "MASS AIR GUARD" - I think I have enough from my Repliscale letters and numbers stash. Note also the decals have red fuselage stripes where the jet at Otis has green. I haven't decided if I am going to replace the red with green ones. I have seen photos of their jets with the red stripes, so I know that's a valid option.

100_6076.JPG

thanks for looking

Cheers

Ken

You know, I keep looking at that picture, and I think that it might not actually be that difficult to fatten up that fuselage by cutting it laterally, and adding a shim. I don't know how deep you want to get into it, Ken...but I think it might be do-able. As for the green stripes, they'd probably be a snap to mask and paint. In fact, you could probably just photocopy the sheet, and use the red stripes as masking templates for the green stripes; just paint the stripe color first, mask them over, shoot another coat of green to seal the masks, and then hit it with Alclad, SNJ, or the metalizer of your choice.

See how good I am at being Mr. Input? :)

Now if I could just get my own model finished. I actually finished the cockpit the other night, but it's just been too cold in the shop the past two days to get anything done. Maybe this weekend, I'll take a space heater down to the shop so I can get some work done....shiver.gif

Cool build Ken! I've been thinking about that H model Sabre in Mass markings.... just didn't wanna dish out that kinda cash for the kit either.

Lookin forward to this one!

Jon

thanks Jon!

You know, I keep looking at that picture, and I think that it might not actually be that difficult to fatten up that fuselage by cutting it laterally, and adding a shim. I don't know how deep you want to get into it, Ken...but I think it might be do-able. As for the green stripes, they'd probably be a snap to mask and paint. In fact, you could probably just photocopy the sheet, and use the red stripes as masking templates for the green stripes; just paint the stripe color first, mask them over, shoot another coat of green to seal the masks, and then hit it with Alclad, SNJ, or the metalizer of your choice.

See how good I am at being Mr. Input? :lol:

Now if I could just get my own model finished. I actually finished the cockpit the other night, but it's just been too cold in the shop the past two days to get anything done. Maybe this weekend, I'll take a space heater down to the shop so I can get some work done....shiver.gif

thanks Steve, but the fuselage halves are already joined, and after adding a fuselage plug to my USCG Falcon, I am shying away from such modifications on this one. It looks like a Sabre is good enough :) I wil be doing the red stripes based on this photo

http://johnsweblounge.com/galleryca/f86h/F_86h_01

See how good I am at being Mr. Input? :nanner:

elitist :doh:

elitist :lol:

Accuracy basher..... :beer4:

Hey, that's cool. I was just throwing it out there, and I can understand what a pain that could potentially be, even if you hadn't closed it up yet. :shoot:

I wil be doing the red stripes based on this photo http://johnsweblounge.com/galleryca/f86h/F_86h_01

Actually, I think that the red stripes add more visual interest. Plus, the green markings on the aircraft in that photo are a really close match for the ones on your decal sheet, rather than the metallic emerald green markings on the one in the picture you posted earlier.

Do that thing you do, brother.....I'm looking forward to seeing it. :)

Ken,

Just thinking ahead but I'm not sure if there are differences in the intakes between the E and the H. If so the green nose stripe/shamrock decal could be a bit of a bear.

Looking forward to see how this one turns out - you're really on a roll lately.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean,

I'm thinking that if anything, the H probably has a larger, wider profile. If that's the case, the decals might be a little oversized, but that can probably be overcome by some careful trimming after the decal is applied. You're right though - it's something to plan ahead for.

Ken,

Just thinking ahead but I'm not sure if there are differences in the intakes between the E and the H. If so the green nose stripe/shamrock decal could be a bit of a bear.

Looking forward to see how this one turns out - you're really on a roll lately.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean,

I'm thinking that if anything, the H probably has a larger, wider profile. If that's the case, the decals might be a little oversized, but that can probably be overcome by some careful trimming after the decal is applied. You're right though - it's something to plan ahead for.

Guys - it is different and I think the H's is larger (though I have not really studied it pics side by side), and already had planned on it. I have 2 sets of the nose decal, so hopefully, I should be all set. Thanks for the insight though fellas!

Cheers

Ken

Hey, Ken Middleton....In the February '81, or '91 issue of FineScaleModeler, there is a 4-page article on converting a Monogram 1/48th F-86F - into an F-86H...quite comprehensive w/side profiles showing dimensions & "cut-lines" lengthwise & heightwise, diferences in Horizontal Stabs, gun troughs, intake & trunk changes new panel lines and deletions, wing-tip extensions, different nose gear..etc. All I have is a xerox copy (some blur) of the magazine...(I lost the magazine itself, during a move).

The name of the article is: "Building a 1/48th scale F-86H", by: DAVID TIPPS.

"Thudnutz" (Jerry Robinson) in Duluth, MN

Hey, Ken Middleton....In the February '81, or '91 issue of FineScaleModeler, there is a 4-page article on converting a Monogram 1/48th F-86F - into an F-86H...quite comprehensive w/side profiles showing dimensions & "cut-lines" lengthwise & heightwise, diferences in Horizontal Stabs, gun troughs, intake & trunk changes new panel lines and deletions, wing-tip extensions, different nose gear..etc. All I have is a xerox copy (some blur) of the magazine...(I lost the magazine itself, during a move).

The name of the article is: "Building a 1/48th scale F-86H", by: DAVID TIPPS.

"Thudnutz" (Jerry Robinson) in Duluth, MN

Thanks Jerry - it would be quite the undertaking! In this instance, I think I'll pass, though I appreciate the information!

Jerry,

Thanks for the tip! I'd heard about the article, but didn't have any info on it. Considering the backlog of Sabres I have here, I was hoping to convert one to an H at some point.

Now to find a copy of that article! I just confirmed it was in the Feb 1991 issue of FSM.

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian

Hey..KEN, JON, STEVE, and the other "HOG" fanciers.....in addition to my mention of the FSM Magazine article, I found an "on-line" side-profile drawing with "cut-lines" and "shaded" "add material to widen" info. http://home.mchsi.com/~speedy01/wsb/media/...04/site1018.jpg

Hope this can be of use !

"THUDNUTZ" (Jerry Robinson) in Duluth - "Out !"

Hey..KEN, JON, STEVE, and the other "HOG" fanciers.....in addition to my mention of the FSM Magazine article, I found an "on-line" side-profile drawing with "cut-lines" and "shaded" "add material to widen" info. http://home.mchsi.com/~speedy01/wsb/media/...04/site1018.jpg

Hope this can be of use !

"THUDNUTZ" (Jerry Robinson) in Duluth - "Out !"

Jerry - interesting! So one would cut where the blue shaded area is, and add plastic or whatever to increase the size to make an H?

KEN: 'That's a "ROGER" ...just add sheet-styrene or "cut-up fuselage sections" to the blue shaded area...it's very similar to the Article I mentioned earlier..except it doesn't address the "new Nose LG", " the MUCH LARGER STABILATORS", "the Clamshell Canopy", "New GUN THROUGHS"...."wing-tip extensions" Shoot me your "snail-mail" address and I'll send you a print-out...(I don't have expertise to scan & send via way of computer...) jerry555808@yahoo.com

If the slatted wing is required...I would guess the Revell/Monogram 1/48th F-86D could "supply the slatted wings".....(and maybe the clamshell canopy too !).

"THUDNUTZ" (Jerry Robinson) in Duluth, MN "Out" !

KEN: 'That's a "ROGER" ...just add sheet-styrene or "cut-up fuselage sections" to the blue shaded area...it's very similar to the Article I mentioned earlier..except it doesn't address the "new Nose LG", " the MUCH LARGER STABILATORS", "the Clamshell Canopy", "New GUN THROUGHS"...."wing-tip extensions" Shoot me your "snail-mail" address and I'll send you a print-out...(I don't have expertise to scan & send via way of computer...) jerry555808@yahoo.com

If the slatted wing is required...I would guess the Revell/Monogram 1/48th F-86D could "supply the slatted wings".....(and maybe the clamshell canopy too !).

"THUDNUTZ" (Jerry Robinson) in Duluth, MN "Out" !

hey Jerry - thanks for the additional information and offer! - but I can print that one you linked. Perhaps another time for this conversion, I just did a USCG Falcon fuselage extension, and that was enough for me!

Wow....that's really interesting, thanks for posting that up, Jerry! It actually looks to be a fairly simple conversion, at least as far as the fuselage is concerned. I'd like to try that one of these days.....

Steve, the decals I am using also have the markings for the NYANG out of Syracuse - they are yours if you want them

just a small update...an overall shot. The cockpit is very basic with simply decals which is OK seeing it will be a closed canopy. I will spray that, and then apply the decals. You can see one of the round fishing weights

100_6133.JPG

My model came with its own battle damage! Funky molding, but just some putty, and wiped smooth with nail polish remover and a Q-tip. 2 applications, and it is done. Not more than 60 seconds for each application.

f86_wingedge.jpg

I had to modify the gun ports from 3 to 2, and relocate one of them

f-86%20102FW%20Otis%202004%2001.jpg

Original parts

100_6136.JPG

First application of putty smoothed over with a Q-tip and nail polish remover

100_6137.JPG

I then used a small drill to make the hole. Once it grabbed, I slowly started to angle it down to make the hole be parallel and start the trough in front of the hole. I then used an angled file to continue the trough and shape it up. The angled file, instead of a straght one, really helped.

100_6140.JPG

and the results. It is hard to really see how everything will look until I get some paint on them. Looks like I might need another application of putty

100_6141.JPG

Very cool info on the H conversion!

Ken, she's lookin good! I wish I had done that with the gunports on my GUNVAL F model. Well... maybe not.... the cats got that one... but I'm gonna use your technique on my next one instead of using completely new sheet styrene!

Oh, just a heads up, while you do need the slatted wing for the H model, it is the 6-3 slatted wing, so the F-86F-40 wing would be appropriate, not the F-86D wing!

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian
All right, some updates. So far, looking good.
Very cool info on the H conversion!

Ken, she's lookin good! I wish I had done that with the gunports on my GUNVAL F model. Well... maybe not.... the cats got that one... but I'm gonna use your technique on my next one instead of using completely new sheet styrene!

Oh, just a heads up, while you do need the slatted wing for the H model, it is the 6-3 slatted wing, so the F-86F-40 wing would be appropriate, not the F-86D wing!

Jon

thanks guys! Hmmm, the slats....lemme check on that one.... :yahoo: