Over OIF the 138th carried 2 AIM-120 (sta 1 & 9)

Empty rails (sta 2 & 8) but could have carried AIM-9's

2 GBU-10 on a slant load (sta 3 or 7)

1 GBU-38 JDAM 500 lb (sta 3 or 7)

2 fuel tanks (sta 4 & 6)

Litening AT pod on intake sta (starboard side)

Nothing on centerline station (sta 5)

The GBU 10 and GBU-38 were an asymetrical loadout but worked out fine.

Here is the loadout on my kit

2073-belly.jpg

Edited by drhornii
Can anyone here point me towards a typical load that ANG units such as the 188th FW carried? Any help will be appreciated.

Do you know for a fact that the Razorbacks flew in OEF? I know they have since deployed for OIF. From what I've seen, later OIF loads are two tanks, two 120s, one GBU-12 on Sta 7, Litening II on 5R, and one GBU-38 on Sta 3. No ECM on the centerline.

Chappie

Edited by Chappie

The only time the 188FW flew from Balad for OIF was in 2005. They flew with the MRP recce pod, AIM-120s on the tips, sometimes AIM-9s on 2/8, 4 GBU-12s on 3/7 OR a pair of GBU-12s and a single GBU-38, wing tanks, and a LITENING pod.

Jake

Not sure about the 188th but here are a few pics with loadouts I took during both OIF & OEF missions a few years ago.

WOW! I wish I'd known you had these, Phil. I would have asked to use them for my projects.

Great shots!

Jake

When the 188th deployed to Balad in May 2005, we flew with AIM 120s on sat 1&9, Nothing on 2&8 (not even rails), a single GBU-38 on sta 7, a single GBU-12 on sta 3, 370 Gal Wing tanks on 4&6, and occassionally a MRP pod on sta 5. We flew with a Litening II pod on 5r for the whole trip. For the first week and a half we were there, we flew with two GBU-12s in slant config on sta 3. The rest of the trip was just a single one. Here are a few pics I took of Ft Smith birds.

Sean

DSC01778.jpg

DSC01827.jpg

DSC01822.jpg

Edited by Taco44
Not sure about the 188th but here are a few pics with loadouts I took during both OIF & OEF missions a few years ago.

WOW!! Great photos. I remember seeing them when I was over there. Do you have hi-res versions of the New Mexico jets that you could send me?

Hello Platypus,

These two pods are LAU-131 seven-hole rocket launchers. Probably holding the "Willy Pete" - white phosphorus - target marker rockets.

Unguided though, they are used with great efficiency for target marking when the Vipers are performing airborne forward control missions - AFACs.

This particular picture is of two Aviano-based Block-40s.

Greetings,

Henrik.

You'll need to make some changes if you're building an arkansas bird, You can't build a block 30/32 out of the Academy kit. You need a kit that will give you the smaller gear doors and tires (unless you can find someone that will swap out the necessary parts with you). The cockpit is also a little different.

I'm doing an Arkansas F-16C using the Tamiya Blk.32 kit, the Superscale decals, and a serial number from the extras on the Academy decal sheet.

How can you tell from this angle?

Chappie

Hi Chappie,

I remember this shot from a series of pictures of Aviano-based F-16s in Iraq during late 2005/early 2006. In fact they are 555th FS and they returned back to Aviano AB on Jan. 10 2006 with the following F-16CGs:

89-2035, 89-2068, 87-0350, 89-0359, 89-2118, 89-2016, 89-2057, 88-0435, 89-2039, 90-0772, 89-2041, 87-0351.

Also the holographich WAR-HUDs are visible in that picture :lol: .

Greetings,

Henrik.

You'll need to make some changes if you're building an arkansas bird, You can't build a block 30/32 out of the Academy kit. You need a kit that will give you the smaller gear doors and tires (unless you can find someone that will swap out the necessary parts with you). The cockpit is also a little different.

I'm doing an Arkansas F-16C using the Tamiya Blk.32 kit, the Superscale decals, and a serial number from the extras on the Academy decal sheet.

Well crud. :beer4: If I had known that I wouldn't have sold my 2nd Tamy T-bird! I'll have to hunt some other decals then. Oh poopy. Maybe Tamiya will sell me some spare parts.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

A friend gave me his Flying Razorbacks' Academy decal sheet and I want to use it on an old Hasegawa F-16C I have... This topic answered many of my doubts. But I still have some left...

- Was 86-0252 - the aircraft on the sheet - deployed to Iraq?

- It had reinforcement plates then?

- Was Litening the only targeting pod it used?

Cheers and TIA!!

Sergio :thumbsup:

Hi guys,

A friend gave me his Flying Razorbacks' Academy decal sheet and I want to use it on an old Hasegawa F-16C I have... This topic answered many of my doubts. But I still have some left...

Cheers and TIA!!

Sergio :thumbsup:

-I talked with the head of their maintenance department in december of '06 (only a few months before they ditched their vipers), all of their ships deployed to the gulf and to hear him talk, they were often used by other people as well, not just 188th TFW pilots (he remarked that many of the USAF pilots that flew in their aircraft were amazed to find F-16s wherein all of the cockpit lights, bells, and whistles actually worked, owned by the air national guard no less!). I don't know if one broke down or not after they got there, but the maintenance chief touted a very high efficiency rate on keeping their birds ready, so my best guess would be they all flew missions.

-I couldn't say for sure about the plates, as I do not know when those first started showing up. I do know that all of the 188th FW jets we photographed that december ('06) had the stiffener plates on them. By that point, 3 or 4 jets had already departed for Fresno though, so I couldn't say for sure about those.

-I got to talk with one of their ordinance officers about loadouts during our visit, he said they carried Litening pods pretty much exclusively for that deployment.

Edited by Skull Leader
Is this one with a single GBU-12 on Station 3?

DSC01822.jpg

What would be a good guess for the opposite side? Another GBU-12? A GBU-38?

TIA,

Sergio :)

Yes, and a single GBU-38 on station 7. Photo credit to Sean Hampton.

Jake

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. It also carried the TARS pod on the centerline.

Jake