Top Gun A-4E color question

Hi,

I´m on another color hunt here. When I read about the VF-1 F-14 Heater scheme in the book "The Cutting Edge" by C.J. Heatly, I discovered what looks to be an A-4E from Top Gun with the avioniks pack on the back. From what I understand, that was unusual in itself. What´s more, the painting scheme looks different. I wonder if anyone can help me with the color call out and possibly the pattern. The pictures in the book only shows the left side.

Serial no: 150044

Nose no: White 55

Fin No: 555

Pilot name: Lt Heater Heatly

I will try to post a scan as soon as I can.

TIA

Martin

Hi Martin ,

Please can you give us the scan of this Topgun bird , I am really curious to see it !

Cheers, Henk "Omar"

Here's the best I could get with my scanner Henk ...

HeaterScooter.jpg

Sorry for the crease, that's where the centerfold is ...

HTH ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

Thanks for the picture Gregg. Henk, I´d be happy to post more photos of this a/c but I have no place to upload the pictures.

Martin

Here's the best I could get with my scanner Henk ...

Sorry for the crease, that's where the centerfold is ...

HTH ...

Gregg

Hi,

I´m on another color hunt here. When I read about the VF-1 F-14 Heater scheme in the book "The Cutting Edge" by C.J. Heatly, I discovered what looks to be an A-4E from Top Gun with the avioniks pack on the back. From what I understand, that was unusual in itself. What´s more, the painting scheme looks different. I wonder if anyone can help me with the color call out and possibly the pattern. The pictures in the book only shows the left side.

Serial no: 150044

Nose no: White 55

Fin No: 555

Pilot name: Lt Heater Heatly

I will try to post a scan as soon as I can.

TIA

Martin

Martin,

There are two pic's of the same side of this a/c, but from the top (clearly showing the upper camo for the left side) in Airpower magazine, May 1982. Unfortunately, there are no views of the right side. I checked my slide collection, but I don't have any slides of this jet with the hump. Sorry :) Fred K

Hi Fred,

I sent you an e-mail earlier today. Can you include this new information in your reply? It is interesting that they chose to keep the hump. Not very common for Top Gun I believe? Do you have any idea of what colors they used?

Cheers

Martin

Martin,

There are two pic's of the same side of this a/c, but from the top (clearly showing the upper camo for the left side) in Airpower magazine, May 1982. Unfortunately, there are no views of the right side. I checked my slide collection, but I don't have any slides of this jet with the hump. Sorry :) Fred K

Hi Fred,

I sent you an e-mail earlier today. Can you include this new information in your reply? It is interesting that they chose to keep the hump. Not very common for Top Gun I believe? Do you have any idea of what colors they used?

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin,

I just checked my email, and the one you sent hasn't got here yet. I don't have a flatbed scanner, so I cannot scan the magazine pics I have of #555. Maybe someone else out there has a flatbed, and the mag and can help out? I did find a pic of the right side of the a/c in my files. I will email it to you directly. Take care, Fred.

Hey, thanks habu2! That would be very intersting. Let´s hope for the best!

Martin

That jet (and I presume those markings) were done by Fujimi in their 1:72 kit #F24. If anyone has a scan of the instruction sheet..... ;)

Gee, there was a 1/72 Testors/Italeri kit produced a long while back that had a Top Gun Scooter on the box that still had the avionics hump attached. At the time I thought that it was a mistake on Testors/Italeri part. As it turns out, based on the photo above, there was at least one Top Gun A-4 that had the "hump" still on. Where there more? I will check to see if I have that 1/72 Testors kit down in the stash to see if the markings are the same (but IIRC they are for "Jesters"/"Vipers" A-4 from the movie...so wrong color scheme).

Regards,

Don

PS: Just checked my stash. I do have the Testors kit and it indeed shows the avionics hump, but the aircraft is not painted in the markings as seen in the picture posted above. The markings are for "Jesters"/"Vipers" A-4 from the movie as I suspected...sorry but I tried.

Good Luck!

Edited by Don

I think he got the "foreign relations" good gestier :lol:

I'm not an expert, but if any of the A-4E/Fs (I believe the Mikes are another bag of chips altogether) had the Av. hump while in Adversary service, it was short lived due to peformance enhancement the a/c got without it fitted.

Now about the A-4M, did they retain the hump or was it removed as well?

Ves B)

Gee, there was a 1/72 Testors/Italeri kit produced a long while back that had a Top Gun Scooter on the box that still had the avionics hump attached. At the time I thought that it was a mistake on Testors/Italeri part. As it turns out, based on the photo above, there was at least one Top Gun A-4 that had the "hump" still on. Where there more? I will check to see if I have that 1/72 Testors kit down in the stash to see if the markings are the same (but IIRC they are for "Jesters"/"Vipers" A-4 from the movie...so wrong color scheme).

Regards,

Don

PS: Just checked my stash. I do have the Testors kit and it indeed shows the avionics hump, but the aircraft is not painted in the markings as seen in the picture posted above. The markings are for "Jesters"/"Vipers" A-4 from the movie as I suspected...sorry but I tried.

Good Luck!

IIRC, the Testors kit was much closer to representing an A-4M, especially with the forward fuselage design and canopy, am I right?

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the color suggestion. As ususal, it is a matter of mixing and and re-mixing until you have something that looks good and is close enough to the photos. But it is good to have a starting point that is in the right vicinity colorwise.

It is interesting that they had the a/c long enough to re-paint it in adversary colors and yet the chose to keep the hump for some reason. The colors look good and I´m intent on doing this a/c.

Thanks

Martin

I'll take a stab at the colors, but it's not Gospel, keep in mind....

Light blue, either FS 35414 or 35450.

"Ochre" tannish-gray, maybe 36307, though plenty weathered and stained.

Blue-Gray, probably 35164.

habu2,

No worries mate. I appreciate that you piled in! By the way, the scheme on the Fujimi box is a cool one in its own right! Definitley worth considering for a future project!

Thanks

Martin

Looks like I presumed wrong... :(

FUJ25024.jpg

from this page: http://fanakit.chez-alice.fr/boxart/boxart_fujimi.htm

IIRC, the Testors kit was much closer to representing an A-4M, especially with the forward fuselage design and canopy, am I right?

I *think* the Testors kit was, indeed, a reboxed Italeri A-4M. Italeri did come out with a modification of this kit as an A-4E/F later (in addition to an OA-4M), but the Testors kit predate these.

HTH,

Andre

What scene was he in? Do you recall? Heater's been a childhood hero of mine ever since I got "The Cutting Edge".

JackMan,

Courtesy of www.fast-rewind.com:

"In the bar scene where Maverick is sitting by himself after he thinks "Charlie" just dumped him, the man sitting next to him is none other than Cmdr CJ "Heather" Heatley, a real Top Gun instructor, author of several Navy jet books and photo technical advisor in the movie. Also, in the scene where all the students are graduating at the pool, when Maverick receives his order to report to the ship for duty, Cmdr Heatley is seen in the back drop to Tom Cruise's right side"

Comparison shots of another Echo in what appears to be a similar scheme:

http://www.skyhawk.org/5e/g149647/html/149656j.htm

http://www.skyhawk.org/5e/g149647/html/149656k.htm

Sorry guys - cant' resist:

Merlin: What are you doing? You're slowing down, you're slowing down!

Maverick: I'm bringing him in closer, Merlin.

Merlin: You're gonna do WHAT?

:) :blink:

Bjarne

Edited by Phantom726
What scene was he in? Do you recall? Heater's been a childhood hero of mine ever since I got "The Cutting Edge".

He's in the Graduation Scene near the end of the movie, you see him behind Tom Cruise as they are opening their Orders Envelopes, he's the guy with the mustache ... There are several Aviators in that scene ...

BTW, that "Older Guy" Charlie is meeting in the bar is Pete Petigrew, Top Gun Instcructor and MiG Killer ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost