Alternative to MM airbrush thinner???

Guest edx

Yes, you can get a ton of thinner at any hardware or general merchandise store for what you pay for a little bottle of MM thinner. Some really prefer laquer thinner for thinning enamels, but I buy good old fashioned paint thinner. A good and dirt-cheap brand is Klean Strip Paint Thinner. Works great as a thinner and for cleanup.

Yes, you can get a ton of thinner at any hardware or general merchandise store for what you pay for a little bottle of MM thinner. Some really prefer laquer thinner for thinning enamels, but I buy good old fashioned paint thinner. A good and dirt-cheap brand is Klean Strip Paint Thinner. Works great as a thinner and for cleanup.

I partially disagree. If you want to replace MM thinner, don't go to the hardware store, try to find an artist's supply store that sells lacquer thinner.

The difference between both is the quality. While the ones from the hardware store are meant for cleaning; the other's meant for thinning delicate enamels and lacquers like the ones used by us.

As far as acrylics go, I thin them with Listerine and add a couple of drops of retarder.

HTH,

Ricardo

Ricardo-

Are you sure you're not referring to enamel thinner? I've never actually seen lacquer thinner in any art supply store, and the stuff I get at the hardware store works very well. Best of all, it's about $4 per quart, and works much better than Testors' proprietary enamel thinner.

Just my opinion, but good old run-of-the-mill lacquer thinner from Ace Hardware works great for me. ;)

For MM enamels I use mineral spirits (aka: paint thinner) from the local hardware store. i get a gallon for like $2.85

For acrylics Isopropyl alchohol works great. I think a 16oz bottle is like 58 cents at wal-mart......

hth

Jeff

Lacquer thinner really does give a better finish for enamels. It mixes better with the paint and provides finer atomization, and also cures faster than simple paint thinner. The paint will also bite more and thus be more durable.

Not to mention it can also be used instead of liquid cements for building models.

Ricardo-

Are you sure you're not referring to enamel thinner? I've never actually seen lacquer thinner in any art supply store, and the stuff I get at the hardware store works very well. Best of all, it's about $4 per quart, and works much better than Testors' proprietary enamel thinner.

Just my opinion, but good old run-of-the-mill lacquer thinner from Ace Hardware works great for me. ;)

Steve,

years ago, when I started building models, I got some lacquer thinner from a hardware store and when I mixed it with enamels or whatever, the paint became like small pieces of gum.

Since then, I've been getting my thinner from art supply stores.

Ricardo-. :beer4:

I use Denatured Alchohol for acrylics and Lacquer Thinner for Enamels

I also have used for those pesky MM Enamels the good old fashioned Ronson (or Zippo) Lighter Fluid.

I prefer Denatured Alchohol because Isopropil is not pure enough.

Also I buy mine at Wal Mart for pretty cheap...

Hope this helps

William G :beer4: