Canberra Rivet details

Hi All,

Following a few requests regarding the rivet details and weathering with regards to my Canberra that I posted a couple of days ago I decided to take a quick couple of photos of the upper surface of the wings/fuselage to show a little more of how the rivet detail turned out.

Sorry about the quality of the photography...I took the photos through the glass on top of the display cabinet :lol: .

I added the rivet detail with Rosie Riveter tool after the ALCLAD II had been applied. It took me 33 minutes...yes I timed it B) ...to do the whole thing (wings, fuselage, the whole shebang). I used the Aeroclub Canberra as a guide to where the rivets 'should' be. It has made quite a diffenrence to the kit when viewed in person...it just adds that something extra :) .

Regards,

Mark

canberra%20021.jpg

canberra%20022.jpg

canberra%20023.jpg

Great job on the Canberra Mark (I just looked at your other posting of the finished kit). I used to watch the Canberras take off from Warton, pretty impressive airplanes.

Fancy posting some tips and tricks on using the Rivetter tool? What did you use as a straight-edge, for example, and is there a secret to rivetting tight-radii like the narrow rear-fuselage? Any wisdom you could share would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

ohhhhhh, you done a excellent job, for the photography, don't worry, because, it shows all the details that it must to show (specially, the rivet details).

I think this is one of the best fuselage details that I ever see, and also, the rivet tool is fantastic.

just keep going, and congrats.

Hi

this is beautiful work to a standard I can't achieve-however when I look at a real Canberra (I've seen lots close up both preserved and in service). I just don't see the rivets.

As a returnee to modelling after over 25 years I am interested in the modern interest in putting rivets on models where they are hardly visible on the real thing. Yet paradoxically many modellers are also very preoccupied with scale accuracy.

I remember models in the 70's being criticised for having too many rivets, and much effort being spent in removing all traces.

I am sure this must have been discussed before-I am just interested in what people think.

I've posted an image of one of the last PR9s in service last July.

Van

DSC03771.jpg

Hi

this is beautiful work to a standard I can't achieve-however when I look at a real Canberra (I've seen lots close up both preserved and in service). I just don't see the rivets.

As a returnee to modelling after over 25 years I am interested in the modern interest in putting rivets on models where they are hardly visible on the real thing. Yet paradoxically many modellers are also very preoccupied with scale accuracy.

I remember models in the 70's being criticised for having too many rivets, and much effort being spent in removing all traces.

I am sure this must have been discussed before-I am just interested in what people think.

I've posted an image of one of the last PR9s in service last July.

Van

DSC03771.jpg

Hi Van,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at my post, and more importantly add some feedback.

I have considered what you have said and I consider your points to be quite valid. I model primarily to satisfy myself, if others like my models...great...if not...maybe my 'style' just doesn't suit their tastes.

Just last December when I was heading back to see my parents on leave, I happened to pass by two Canberra's sitting in a paddock in South East Queensland, not far from RAAF Base Amberley, where these bombers were once based when in Australian service. I did take a few photos, some of which are shown below.

imgp0297.jpg

imgp0298.jpg

imgp0299.jpg

imgp0301.jpg

It can clearly be seen that the aircraft, although in a sad state of repair, have visible rivet detail. If my camera work was a little better (or a lot better :banana: ) these details would be more evident.

The photo you posted of the PR9 is a nice photo, and yes I agree that there are no rivets visible. I guess I'm lucky I didn't model a PR9 in service in the last couple of years, rather a RAAF Canberra in a natural metal scheme in service some 40 years ago. With a natural metal scheme on a full size aircraft there is no scope to cover the details of the manufature of the full size aircraft, rivets, different types/sheets of metal with differing grains and the like.

Whilst I admit that my Canberra is not strictly accurate, it IS meant to be a representation of an aircraft that was in service at one point. I admit that perhaps the rivets may be a little to bold for some, but I did add them after I had sprayed the NMF because the panels just begged for something more.

I would be interested to have John Adams from Aeroclub comment on this topic. I did use his model of the Canberra for the positioning of the rivet detail, and I know that he has had a LOT to do with the Canberra in his carrer in the RAF.

In any case, in my mind, I have achieved what I set out to do.

Once again, thanks for your comments and candor.

Warmest regards,

Mark

Hi

thanks for not taking offence at my observations. I'd like to say that I hope I can reach your standards sometime. (soon would be nice...). Great, though sad, pics. By the way, Aeroclub are only a 5 minute drive away for me!

Best regards

Van

Hi Van,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at my post, and more importantly add some feedback.

I have considered what you have said and I consider your points to be quite valid. I model primarily to satisfy myself, if others like my models...great...if not...maybe my 'style' just doesn't suit their tastes.

Just last December when I was heading back to see my parents on leave, I happened to pass by two Canberra's sitting in a paddock in South East Queensland, not far from RAAF Base Amberley, where these bombers were once based when in Australian service. I did take a few photos, some of which are shown below.

imgp0297.jpg

imgp0298.jpg

imgp0299.jpg

imgp0301.jpg

It can clearly be seen that the aircraft, although in a sad state of repair, have visible rivet detail. If my camera work was a little better (or a lot better :D ) these details would be more evident.

The photo you posted of the PR9 is a nice photo, and yes I agree that there are no rivets visible. I guess I'm lucky I didn't model a PR9 in service in the last couple of years, rather a RAAF Canberra in a natural metal scheme in service some 40 years ago. With a natural metal scheme on a full size aircraft there is no scope to cover the details of the manufature of the full size aircraft, rivets, different types/sheets of metal with differing grains and the like.

Whilst I admit that my Canberra is not strictly accurate, it IS meant to be a representation of an aircraft that was in service at one point. I admit that perhaps the rivets may be a little to bold for some, but I did add them after I had sprayed the NMF because the panels just begged for something more.

I would be interested to have John Adams from Aeroclub comment on this topic. I did use his model of the Canberra for the positioning of the rivet detail, and I know that he has had a LOT to do with the Canberra in his carrer in the RAF.

In any case, in my mind, I have achieved what I set out to do.

Once again, thanks for your comments and candor.

Warmest regards,

Mark

Edited by van883