This is just getting better and better. I do have another question. I know Timmy! said he subtracted the thickness of the plastic (.030" if I recall) from the frames, was there .040" more subtracted as well for the two centerline spine sheets that butt up or will you just trim that off of the vacuformed pieces once they are formed?

I'm getting so tempted to try that shuttle now...only thing holding me back now is money, time...and uhhh....let's see skill and talent. oh yea, and resources. And then of course there's the issue of space. But other than that, I'm ready to roll!

Seriously, keep this thing going. I can't wait to see it on yet another FSM cover!

Bill

Edited by niart17
This is just getting better and better. I do have another question. I know Timmy! said he subtracted the thickness of the plastic (.030" if I recall) from the frames, was there .040" more subtracted as well for the two centerline spine sheets that butt up or will you just trim that off of the vacuformed pieces once they are formed?

I'm getting so tempted to try that shuttle now...only thing holding me back now is money, time...and uhhh....let's see skill and talent. oh yea, and resources. And then of course there's the issue of space. But other than that, I'm ready to roll!

Seriously, keep this thing going. I can't wait to see it on yet another FSM cover!

Bill

Hey Bill-

Yes you are correct-each bulkhead was adjusted for the .040 base.

I'd suggest you give it a shot! I'm no rocket scientist, just stubborn. I know I don't have all of the answers yet for this build, but none of this stuff is really hard, (so far :D ) but the answers to issues / questions / problems are out there..plus, there is no timeline: just build as your skill and knowledge allow..

Regards,

Pig

That framework just makes me want to glue thin metal panels all over it to get that stressed metal effect. I'd love to have the courage to build a jet from the raw components. You must have b411z the size of coconuts dude! :thumbsup:

This Uber-build is another "must see" thread from the Pig Model Bureau.

I'll be stopping by on a regular basis to get my fix.

Great start Pete, good luck with the rest of the build.

:monkeydance:

That framework just makes me want to glue thin metal panels all over it to get that stressed metal effect. I'd love to have the courage to build a jet from the raw components. You must have b411z the size of coconuts dude! :thumbsup:

This Uber-build is another "must see" thread from the Pig Model Bureau.

I'll be stopping by on a regular basis to get my fix.

Great start Pete, good luck with the rest of the build.

:monkeydance:

Thanks all you guys for chiming in with support- I appreciate that a lot..it helps to keep me going!

Guy- I guarantee you have all the skills you need to do the same..and like me, what you don't know-somebody else does! Most of what I know, I've learned from my fellow modelers on these and other boards. I also recommend two books:

Scratch built, by John Alcorn, and The Master Scratch Builders, also by John Alcorn. All the basic dance steps are in there, plus more techniques and tips than you'd ever need.

If you can measure, cut, and glue (and I know you can!) anyone can do this stuff, I promise!

Pig

Hey Gents,

I've got a new tool I'm using on this project you might find interesting:

ScaleConvert

Pig

Very Very cool. But you may have made a huge error in judgement by telling everyone about this. Now anytime you are ANYWHERE around an aircraft you're going to have a ton of guys here saying "Hey Pete, measure that wing and send me the scaled dimensions would ya?" It's kind of like letting your friends know that you just bought a pickup truck...suddenly EVERYONE needs to move furniture! :worship:

Keep up the great work and hey, can you get me the wing dimensions in 1/12000 scale of a su-97 and e-mail it to me please sir? :)

Bill

Very Very cool. But you may have made a huge error in judgement by telling everyone about this. Now anytime you are ANYWHERE around an aircraft you're going to have a ton of guys here saying "Hey Pete, measure that wing and send me the scaled dimensions would ya?"

Bill

Yeah-there's that too- I'm just telling folks so they can go download it for themselves :worship:

Regards,

Pig

Here are some shots of the latest 3d work. This is the plan for the rest of the major structural parts. All of these parts will be converted to 2d prints and will include templates for wing, stab and tail skins. Photos speak best so without further adieu:

snapshot20100224132252.jpg

snapshot20100224132332.jpg

snapshot20100224132404.jpg

snapshot20100224132445.jpg

snapshot20100224132529.jpg

snapshot20100224132559.jpg

snapshot20100224132637.jpg

snapshot20100224132729.jpg

Timmy!

Edited by Timmy!

Wow that's fantastic work Timmy. That crunching sound you hear in the background is me stepping on every model I've ever built in the last 10 years..lol. (kidding)

The tabs on the bottoms of the wing in stabs I am assuming are "built - in" alignment and dihedral tabs that will get trimmed off when skinning commences? Great idea. That'll ensure spot on alignment.

I notice the templates for the interior for the side panels and Instrument panel. Will you be rendering them also? This is so cool to watch come together.

Cheers

Mike

Fantalonastic Pete. Looks like a couple of individuals are doing what some big companies don’t seem to be able to do, in terms of accuracy of shape. Wondered why I couldn’t see most of the photos. 1.2Mb a go!!!! :bandhead2:

Thought you had gone maritime at first :)

Regards

John

This is one of the sheets from Charles. Each bulkhead is still attached to the sheet, kinda like a big photoetch panel:

SDC11365.jpg

There are 4 sheets total. I spent most of the night last night labeling all of the parts on the sheet-

Regards,

Pig

That is pretty darn cool. Reminds me of laser cut balsa for R/C and static models.

One of these days, I want or should setup one of my routers for CNC milling.

Edited by Wayne S
Wow that's fantastic work Timmy. That crunching sound you hear in the background is me stepping on every model I've ever built in the last 10 years..lol. (kidding)

The tabs on the bottoms of the wing in stabs I am assuming are "built - in" alignment and dihedral tabs that will get trimmed off when skinning commences? Great idea. That'll ensure spot on alignment.

I notice the templates for the interior for the side panels and Instrument panel. Will you be rendering them also? This is so cool to watch come together.

Cheers

Mike

Don't squish them they are really good!!!

You got it exactly right about the tabs. Should work well, though Pig will still need to jig the model to get the wings, stab and vert. tail attached to the fuselage. I'll be drawing jig parts as well down the road.

The instrument panel won't get any prettier. They will remain "2d" and sent out for photo etching. Though I did add some color for fun.

snapshot20091219142411.jpg

Fantalonastic Pete. Looks like a couple of individuals are doing what some big companies don’t seem to be able to do, in terms of accuracy of shape. Wondered why I couldn’t see most of the photos. 1.2Mb a go!!!! :thumbsup:

Thought you had gone maritime at first :P

Regards

John

Shape has been an issue that Pig and I discuss often. Pig's hands on time with this jet, and years of study, means he KNOWS the shapes and I am forced to comply with his will!!! :)

Sorry John, sometimes I forget to check file sizes. Post resized.

Timmy!

Fantalonastic Pete. Looks like a couple of individuals are doing what some big companies don’t seem to be able to do, in terms of accuracy of shape. Wondered why I couldn’t see most of the photos. 1.2Mb a go!!!! :thumbsup:

Thought you had gone maritime at first <_<

Regards

John

Thanks for the kind words John!

I've learned so much from watching you work-Your Lightning is a particular source of inspiration for me. I hope that I can build as cleanly and accurately as you...You make it look easy and I know it's not!

Warm regards,

Pig

Pig, this is just amazing. So you plan on scratching a cockpit and everything with this huh? Man I can just imagine how much that big box of shee cost you. Cant wait to see more.

Pig, this is just amazing. So you plan on scratching a cockpit and everything with this huh? Man I can just imagine how much that big box of shee cost you. Cant wait to see more.

Hey J,

Thanks! Yes, canopies open, full cockpit, speedbrakes open....SUU-20 on the centerline pylon..all of that :rofl:

Regards,

Pig

Pete,

This is one of the builds that got me started on the 1/72 747 SCA/Shuttle build over on the Airliner Forum. Looking forward to seeing more.

All the Best,

Paul

Hi Paul!

I finally got to check out the 747 / Shuttle project-Very cool! That will be really impressive to watch come together and to see complete-Very unique and cool-

Regards,

Pig

From the looks of things, you are building the real jet, just in 1/24. Seems it will have all the bells and whistles. This is a monumental undertaking and I'm sure as word spreads, many, many top modelers will come have a look and ultimately have to acknowledge you as the Jedi Master of modeling. I sure do. 'Course, all those hours up at FL350 and what-not give you time to ponder how exactly to tackle the next challenge, eh?

I' for one am very grateful that you are posting all this. I'm taking copious notes and having fun imagining the end result. Shirley you will have a NATS winner, though I don't think that's the motivation. (I am serious, and I am calling you Shirley)

Ut Astrom!

Hi Paul!

I finally got to check out the 747 / Shuttle project-Very cool! That will be really impressive to watch come together and to see complete-Very unique and cool-

Regards,

Pig

Pete,

Thank you for the kind words. I've been fascinated with this built since the begining and I can't wait to see more. I've moved the SCA/Shuttle over to the "In Progress Pics" forum. I love the ideas of CAD Design and building almost whatever you want. We might be looking at the future of modeling here.

Paul

From the looks of things, you are building the real jet, just in 1/24. Seems it will have all the bells and whistles. This is a monumental undertaking and I'm sure as word spreads, many, many top modelers will come have a look and ultimately have to acknowledge you as the Jedi Master of modeling. I sure do. 'Course, all those hours up at FL350 and what-not give you time to ponder how exactly to tackle the next challenge, eh?

I' for one am very grateful that you are posting all this. I'm taking copious notes and having fun imagining the end result. Shirley you will have a NATS winner, though I don't think that's the motivation. (I am serious, and I am calling you Shirley)

Ut Astrom!

Yikes! That's some high praise- I'm no master-That's for sure, but I appreciate the sentiment! All I do know is that a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step. As long as you keep putting one foot in front of the other-You'll get there, right?

OK then...Here's the next step!

Got the left and right sides built-up with the bulkheads and longerons. Here I've got both halves clipped together just to get a warm fuzzy on the whole deal.

SDC11439.jpg

SDC11440.jpg

SDC11442.jpg

SDC11443.jpg

The next step is to true-up this shape with a sanding block. First, I've highlighted some obvious spots to address with a sharpie. These will be sanded to shape..blending the transistions with a large, T-shaped sanding block..SDC11445.jpg

SDC11444.jpg

Then the entire assembly will be lightly block sanded back to reference marks on the bulkheads and longerons. Once it's all cleaned up and true- I'll fill the voids with balsa and Bondo to get ready to finish-out the surface of the master pattern..

Thanks for looking~ :lol:

Pig

Edited by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann