OK then...Here's the next step!

Got the left and right sides built-up with the bulkheads and longerons. Here I've got both halves clipped together just to get a warm fuzzy on the whole deal.

SDC11439.jpg

SDC11440.jpg

Pig

Pete:

I don't know if it's been said before, but in this and other forums; modelers buy a kit which has everything already been formed and once it's glued together me and many like me congratulate the modeler on a fantastic job, which they are. However 95% of the time all we have done is assembled those parts from an instruction sheet provided by the kit maker. You on the other hand are literally [building] this kit not just assembling it, using preset guidelines. There is a difference; as there is no mold to turn out reproductions at the rate of 100/per hr. Yes you my good Mr. Fleischmann are building there is assembly involved as that is part of the process, but in the truest sense of the word your building this one. All of us in this hobby can appreciate the complexity of what you are about to accomplish, Congratulations. Sir you have my deepest admiration. As many others are, I too am eager to see the project completed.

Edited by Angels49

Pig,

Verty INSPIRING...Never in a Million years would I be able to do what you can do and do it SO BRILLIANTLY.

I admire your work a great deal... and it makes ME smile to see your work as you are so very good at what you do....

I have not seen many modeleres who are SO patient as you are...

Love this project of yours.........

........you don't need Balls of steel, but just simple determination and skills which you have Sir.{..and tools and space... :huh: } :( ;)

HOLMES :salute:

Hello boys-

Pressing ahead. I've spent some time cleaning up the skeleton forms..true-ing them up with the sanding block and a Sharpie pen. I'm ready to start filling the voids in preparation for the final steps in creating the master fuselage patterns.

In these pictures, you can see my first attempt at master pattern making for this model here with the newer version. The first attempt was .040 bulkheads with the intervening spaces filled with blocks of basswood- then sanded to shape. As you can imagine, this was a bear to sand, and required power tools for the initial take-down:

SDC11446.jpg

SDC11447.jpg

For this version, I've decided to work smarter! (Thanks to Timmy! for this technique :cheers: ) Each void will be filled with stacks of 1/4" balsa sheet to within approximately 1/4 inch of the outermost edge of each bulkhead. Once all of the voids are filled with balsa, the entire assembly gets covered with Bondo and sanded back to the plastic bulkheads and longerons. The balsa is just there to take up space underneath the Bondo, thus reducing the amount of Bondo required (and subsequent curing heat).

The balsa stack doesn't need to be pretty, and the grain doesn't need to run longitudinally because in theory you wont be sanding the balsa. In fact, there may be some utility in alternating the grain within each stack for structural rigidity..Also you can see I didn't cut them for an exact fit. Alternating side to side as the stack progresses will make it an easier task and be plenty strong:

SDC11448.jpg

It's important to note that all of this assembly has been accomplished with the patterns tack-glued down to my glass sheet. That way the whole thing stays flat and true-

Thanks for looking!

Pig

Edited by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann
Hey Mareku,

I assembled everything you've seen so far with Zap CA (Super glue) and a spot of accelerator here and there=

HTH

Pig

Thank you for aswer HTH! that what I thought. The Super glue with accelerator is superb. That what I´m using too. The joits are so strong wit that glue that sometimes it wraps the plastic parts. Did you dicower that too!?

Fantastic modeling work :salute: Keep goig, please :huh:

Hey Gents!

I got a bit farther down the road. Here you can see both halves of the master pattern have been filled with sections of balsa sheet. This is in place simply to take up space, as the whole assembly will be covered with Bondo and sanded smooth to the bulkheads and longerons. I've kept the fuselage halves tack-glued to the glass to keep it flat and true:

SDC11449.jpg

SDC11450.jpg

With the balsa in place, the whole assembly becomes pretty rigid. Good I suppose because I anticipate this will get a fair amount of handling as I sand it back, and then during the vac forming process-

SDC11452.jpg

I'll spread Bondo on the section that is still glued to the glass. Keeping it tacked down is important, as there is a bit of heat produced as the Bondo sets up. When the first side is covered in Bondo, I'll pop it off, attach the second side to the glass, and do the same.

Then comes a week or two of sanding, filling, sanding, filling....

Thanks for looking-

Pig

Holy mother of God!!! :bandhead2: This is one incredible build. 1/16th is gi-normous. Really looking forward to seeing more CAD plans, Timmy! And Pete...WOW...that's all I can say..."WOW!" :)

Edited by The_Animal

Hello again!

I've got a bit of progress to show- I've been busy covering the right side of the fuselage with Bondo and then sanding it back. I learned a few things...like sand the Bondo within about 30 minutes of applying it. If you wait 3 days like I did, you'll be sanding stone!

At any rate, the right side still needs some dressing out. There are some curves to the fuselage that I havent revealed yet with the sanding. The goal is to sand just to the bulkheads and longerons and stop. Pin holes and sinkholes will all get filled too. There are 2 "cones" on the jet-one forward of the windscreen and one on the belly between the intakes- that will be revealed once I have tacked both halves of the master together. Heres a look:

SDC11500.jpg

SDC11501.jpg

SDC11502.jpg

SDC11503.jpg

SDC11504.jpg

THanks for looking!

Pig

As usual, nice work Pig. What are you doing to sand it? You can't be sanding that monster in the hobby room. Are you using power tools outside? Or in a garage?

Tilt

As usual, nice work Pig. What are you doing to sand it? You can't be sanding that monster in the hobby room. Are you using power tools outside? Or in a garage?

Tilt

THanks Tilt! You are right-tons of dust-I've been outside...It's been about 15c here so not bad

Pete,

Great work. Did I see somewhere earlier in the thread that you were going to Vacform the Master??

Stunning Stuff.

Paul

Hi Paul!

Yes. What you see here is the master pattern slightly undersized (.030) to account for the vac forming of the shells

Regards,

Pig

Edited by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann