Built is a few years ago - it's a typical Matchbox biplane, in that it is saved from the excesses of the panel line trenches. The MB kit designer was apaprently a biplane fan, and it shows! Detail is basic, but betterthan some!

It goes together well

Only real accuracy issue is the side of the fuselage, which are moulded as smooth and flat, when they should be slightly ribbed and bowed.

There is a short review of it in the gallery section here at ARC. Also, if you do a search on hyperscale's forum, you can find a bit more. For example, there are some pictures of the cockpit and so forth. Anyone know a nice match for NIVO? Cheers, Jan

Anyone know a nice match for NIVO? Cheers, Jan

Yup. Just answered your question over on the Unofficial Airfix Modellers' Forum:

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=2903

Gunze H309, Xtracolor X020 and Lifecolor UA 054 are good starting points.

As far as the Matchbox Heyford is concerned, the trickiest part is attaching the lower wing. Use a jig and slow-setting superglue.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by pingu1

Dave, If you're going to scan those articles, would it be possible for me to get a copy? If not, no problem. The Heyford is next on my list after I finish off the 5 semi-completed things I'm working on now. Boy, that plane is so ugly it's beautiful. Or maybe it's just ugly. Cheers, Jan

Jose, I have an article in an old Scale Models on building it - I'll dig it out. There are also articles from Aeroplane which have internal details.

I have an older "Airwars 1919 - 1939" publication that has a breakdown of squadron usage as well as some 3 view drawings and a kit review of the Matchbox kit. ( I think, I've not read the article) If anyone in interested I could scan it and email it.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Skyking
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...