Hasegawa F-15C "173rd Wing King"

Alright, since my first build went FUBAR on me, because of...well..me?

Here we go on a second try!

Pics will follow a bit later, right now I'm just getting started on modifing the cockpit. The Hasegawa cockpit, like all current model kits, represents a non MSIP aircraft. Thus, it still shows the armament panel instead of the MPCD. This will be scratch built by using some sheet styrene. This build will be significantly slower and more detailed than even it's previous incarnation was. I'll hopefully be able to point out the shortcomings I have learned in the Hasegawa kit, and how to fix them. It will be illustrated, however not overwhelmingly so.

Update: 2-3-07

Worked on the forward fuse today. Went together just as well as the last one, and most if not all of the panel detail was able to be saved. After assembly, the seams were sanded down and smoothed out. A light wash of warm water and detergent was used to clean the plastic of any oils and release agents. Tamiya smooth primer in grey was applied. Thank god I learned the pitfalls of this kit on the previous build! No updates were done yet. The under-fuse antennas will be modified later, after major construction and painting is done, as they will be fragile.

100_0415.jpg

Update-2-5-07: FrankenEagle

Well, last night was very entertaining. Having done work on the forward fuselage the day before, it was time for more primary construction. Having weighted the model to prevent tail-sitting, I began to attach the forward fuselage and the lower half of the main. .....Well, this model wasnt quite as easy as the last one. After adding a spacer and working on the fuselage join, I looked to the tails and saw a horror..a HORROR. The glue used to join the fuselage halves had run to the right tail boom and completely melted out the tip.

Swearing began, with a few words I hadnt used yet, and a few I made up. The tail tip was completely inopperable. And as such, I had to think of a creative solution. Using my wrecked F-15C from before, I amputated the intact section from that and grafted it onto this model. Therefore, it is now FrankenEagle, and it will be so. The wings went on without issue, and panel lines lost were rescribed.

I'll add more details a bit later, I just wanted to get this update done.

100_0418.jpg

Edited by ViperTomcat

Update-FrankenEagle: 2-12-07

Got the Mod-Eagle scheme done today. Used Navy Aggressor Grey, lightened slightly with a few drops of Insignia White. Sprayed on using a Badger 150 thinned with laquer Thinner. The F-15 Dark Grey is Model Master acrylic thinned with Model Master Acryl thinner. Painted was done to match 79-0022's exact Mod-Eagle scheme and colors. It was weathered with slightly lighter shades of the Dark Grey and faded around the edges just a bit with 0000 steel wool. It was painted using paper masks held off with small balls of blu tak, thanks to g0_comman0 for this tip!

The build continues.....

100_0419.jpg

Update- 2-15-07-FrankenEagle.

Got the Aires F-15E featherless exhaust cans done today. Great little bits of resin, really small models in themselves! They took about..eh, 4 hours total to assemble and paint. Attached the vertical tails and painted the bare metal portions. The exhaust cans and vents were weathered with tamiya weathering powders "soot". The non-gun vents will be darkened with a different color, it's just a placeholder for now. Also, the vent for the JFS was given the soot weathering. More updates to come!

100_0445-1.jpg

100_0447.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, nearing the end!

Got the decals on, weathered and weapons. She's loaded out with a centerline tank, 2 CATM Aim-120's and a CATM Aim-9. The right mass balance broke off, so having to manufacture a new one. The nose antennas have been modified to reflect 79-0022's fit. Only a few small dodads to do now,, then a final dull coat and then the canopy, and she's finished!

So far about 25 hours of build time in this model.

100_0518.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys...

Well, it's practically done. Had to wet-sand down some of the clear coats as one cured somewhat milky-white. The canopy goes on tomorrow, most likely. Then pics, and she's done!

Thanks for reading and final pics are coming up!

• 1 year later...

Hey Just like the other guys I wanna see the finished model too....

Viper ,what I have seen so far wetted MY appetitie so now I am dying to see the finished Franken Eagle that you have lovingly created..so come on Hurry it up Man!! ;)

PLEASE......thank you..

HOLMES...... :cheers:

Edited by HOLMES
  • 4 months later...