Hi,

Quite while ago I found a nice picture on F-16.net showing a Shark holding a vulcan canon, and what was even greater, It belonged to the 174th FS 'Bats', my favorit F-16 unit. I started thinking of doing it in scale. Today I was looking at the noseart again and visited the details for airframe 85-1550, also a Bat, I looked forward in the photo dbase and in once I was looking at a sideview picture of 1551, I nearly screamed since it was painted quite different to the other line jets as the fin's leading edge and forward fin was overall gunship. Coincidentially I always wanted to do a viper with that forward fin painted all gunship. So that's the reason for joining the Reserves GB.

I have about 9 F-16s now and it's time work that pile down. Some weeks ago I puttied the air intake of my Revell F-16C with fine milliput and sanded to a good shape. Today I puttied it again since the shape was to wide at the front of the main gear bay. I also made a negative for a fanfront, using semi hardened fine milliput, pressing a Hase F-15 fan into it. The eduard Zoom set for Hase's F-16C is also made ready, painted in a less blue color and having the Revell pit adjusted to accomodate that set. It seems to work out fine and I'm looking forward to actually make my first viper since years! :yahoo:

Tomorrow I hope to have the pit nearly finished and the intakes sanded to good shape. After that I'll paint the gearbays and insert them in the lower fuselage. if that all has settled the forward intake is going to be glued into its place and the step between the front and aft intake puttied straight. some additional putty will be used to make the fanfront. Pictures have an ETA on sunday I hope :rofl:

Thanks for your interest.

Here the links for my subject:

F-16C 85-1551 with Sharkshooter noseart

Greetings, Tom

now, that aircraft had a cool nose art after it transferred to your unit :worship:

About that article with the bats vipers, I found that one earlier with google, and that's when the unit became my favorit. First I was thinking of doing that twinseater but seems there isn't any detail shot with the noseart of that one. to bad but for me, 1551 is as great as the double :lol:

now, that aircraft had a cool nose art after it transferred to your unit

Yup,we had roughly 4-5 a/c with nose art at that time,the art was on the jets for about 6-8 months then was taken of.There was a push to get it back on by or maintenance officer but it seems to have faltered,doesn't seem to matter now since we start losing our F-16's next month :thumbsup:

Hi,

Pics are behind, as usual (also my work... as usual) :cheers:

I have advanced quite well on the cockpit, only superglue is now enemy of the state nr.1 to me, It seems, (It's my first time wrestling with PE parts for your notice :banana:) that PE combined with superglue only ends sticking to my fingers, how carefully I am... From the pre-paint isn't to much left since I dressed them up again so 90% is my work after all :whistle:

My intake had also some sanding and looks like it needs another load of putty to get the shape right just in the middle of the intake (as it is in two parts), hopefully it's ready near the end of the week.

The cockpit would take not so long so that will be the first thing viewable down here :whistle:

Thanks for the attention anyway!

Tom

Btw, To bad for you guys loosing the vipers... I can't quite imagine any noseart on C-21s (don't shoot me now, I thought I've read that somewhere but could be wrong :angry:)

Btw, To bad for you guys loosing the vipers... I can't quite imagine any noseart on C-21s (don't shoot me now, I thought I've read that somewhere but could be wrong )

No C-21's for us(as far as I know,heck,I'd take a fleet of Cessnas just as long as we can keep flying!),we'll be moving on a Intel type unit(actually three types of missions),good thing is we will actually be gaining people in the new mission.Will miss hearing the sound of the jets every day though.

Aha, well probably mixed you up with someone else here. I can imagine that you're going to miss the jets. We are in the same position here in Belgium, the only difference is that they are killing our air force slower, as our F-16s will be taken out of service around 2020-25. They will be replaced by nothing else than some fresh cold air...

Our glorious Hercs (10 for now, the 11th, a C-130E from Evergreen on the way) wil be replaced by no more than 9 A400Ms and that would be the Belgian Air Component in future... All very sad...

I think we aviation freaks in Belgium each should lay down 5 euro for a bountyhunter to collect, with the task of providing an open spot at the biggest seat within the ministery of defence :cheers:

Flankers, we should buy Su-30 Flankers, Vote Tom for chief of defence :D

Edited by Fiddler
  • 2 weeks later...
They will be replaced by nothing else than some fresh cold air...

Soooo... Belgium will have no fast jets whatsoever in the future..?

Oy vey. And I thought we Dutch had it bad with slashing half of our F-16 fleet...

Cheers,

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

That's what they planned to do...

I got some minor building done, adjusted the air intake a bit etc.... Today I started with gear bay detail, since there's plumbing everywhere but none to see in the oob Revell kit... Adding thin steal wire and some synthetic fibres for the cable trees. I hope everything works out a little :) but we'll see...

Meanwhile I'm converting the A-tail, which also is included with the C-kit, to an ADF... My first try on this conversion... don't know for sure how to make the bulge accurate though... (edit: I tried by gluing on some sprue sanded to a raw form)

Now finally some pics, still in progress on the intake.

homemadeairintakecompilation.jpg

1,2) I used a tan cote of paint to see if there were any bubbles in there, and you'll notice there were a few ;) It still looks kinda ruff in the lower right bend but that should be solved with some paint I hope...

3) Also you can see that I made a copy of a Hase F-15 fan, which I pushed in curing fine milliput. You have to be very carefull because if you bend the milliput, the fanblades tend to deform (I'm just a rooky so I type what I noticed :P) Next time I'll wait another hour so maybe the putty won't stick anymore.

4) And the lower right pic showes an intake shot with the gear compartment and duct installed behind the forward duct. in the blur, there's a step visible but that is to be puttied flush because I left a hole in the upper front duct (which you don't see anyway afterwards) so that 'll enable me to get that step corrected.

ADFtailmodinprogressfrontrightview.jpg

And this is my ADF tail. The bubbles need to be blended in with putty and they are still to thick. some adjustments needed... I plugged the tail on a fuselage still on the sprue just for better view :)

Thanks for your attention ;)

Tom

Edited by Fiddler

Not quite advantage to my Shark Shooter, but my ADF tail has one half coming close. The bubble was sanded smaller and afterwards it got blended in with some fine Milliput.

This is the result:

ADFtailmodinprogressbubblesandedsma.jpg

That's it so far...

:cheers:

Edited by Fiddler
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I've a question, I'm still in the progress of having the plumbing and wiring of the main landing gear bays fixed but there's an area of which I don't have a clear view.

I asked this in the jet modelling forum to but to get a bigger chance I post it here to.

It's about the 2 most forward frames of the main gear bays, does anyone have a picture of these together with the front wall? that would be great.

I know it's only 1/72nd but it's just so empty without some wiring etc :)

Thanks in advance!!

Tom

Hi,

I think this is a lost case regarding the deadline... I keep this in production though so I can continue after my Daco book has arrived. That 'll be somewhere in may... Then boosting up the production again. Having one ready before the Viper II GB begins. So that 'll ease the path and maybe do 2 more during that half year.

I've commited myself to another GB, the Eastern GB. I have a Polikarpov I-16 at about 60% ready now, and that's the most acomplishable model so that's going to have priority. Also I'd like to do a Saudi Tornado GR.1 for the Desert Storm GB, or a Hog. not sure.

The big victim this year will probably be the B-52G which I started in the Heavies GB and thought I can continue it in the SAC GB...But as there are so many attractive GBs in front, it might be heading for the backburner...

Anyway, I'm hopeless behind on my yearly modelling shedule...

Thanks for your interest though :lol: