Advice on an airbrush

Hello ,earlier today i was attempting to paint my Revell Eurofighter but my stupid aibrush has decided to stop working .It has never really worked before and I was wondering what would be the best airbrush for me too buy to replace it. I don't want anything fancy just an airbrush that is reliable and not too expensive.

Thanks, Dan

Hi Dan,

The Badger 200 single-action is reliable, and, with practice, can be used to do detail down to things like 1/72 Luftwaffe fighter mottle camo. In the UK, it's widely available in LMSs and good stationers/ art shops for about £55. I've been more than happy with mine, which I used for years before replacing it, as my main airbrush, with a Badger 150 dual-action about three years ago.

You can get cheaper Chinese knock-offs, but finding spare parts can be a problem, which it never is with Badger.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Dan,

I concur with Chris as I have a Badger airbrush also.

It's well built, easy to use and to clean and with a little practice will give you great results.

I went for the 155 Anthem dual-action airbrush. I ordered mine from my LMS; cost me about £120 about two years ago.

You really need to couple it to a compressor to give you the best performance; compressed-air 'power packs' are a false economy as they are quite expensive in the long run and don't really give you a steady flow of air before they ice up.

I got a Ripmax compressor with a regulator for about £165.

HTH

Karl

Hi Dan,

you might care to check out this eBay seller, who has a range of Chinese copy airbrushes for sale:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Everythingairbrush

You can get one that will do the job - and more - for less than £30. The only problem will be obtaining spare parts, which you will need, because airbrush needles, and valve parts, do wear out over time, and need to be replaced. However, they will probably last you for a year or two, until you can afford something better (Christmas/ Birthday prezzies?)

Failing that, Humbrol, Revell and Badger do basic airbrushes, such as this:

http://www.expotools.co.uk/532_1_20074.html

but really, they're no good for anything except spraying primer, varnishes, and the simplest single-or two-colour finishes.

Seriously, I'd save up my money, and get the Badger 200. Much better value in the long run.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by pingu1
This thread is one I was about to raise, what are the feelings of you guys on the Badger 350 series airbrushes? one step up from the basic airbrush but their again not too expensive, great to hear your thoughts

Badger 350 is a very good baisic Airbrush. You will be happy with it.

Badger Anthem and 360 are a step up if you can afford them.

you might care to check out this eBay seller, who has a range of Chinese copy airbrushes for sale:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Everythingairbrush

You can get one that will do the job - and more - for less than £30. The only problem will be obtaining spare parts, which you will need, because airbrush needles, and valve parts, do wear out over time, and need to be replaced. However, they will probably last you for a year or two,Cheers, Chris.

Chris is certainly trying to save you money, Dan, but I would be cautious here. Although I already had an Iwata HP-BS that I bought s/h I couldn't resist one of these Taiwanese airbrushes when I saw it in a neat kit with accessories, for £30. It was a mistake. They are (mostly) well finished, but more fiddly and complex than Iwata; spares have to be ordered from the Far East (my UK dealer quoted me twice as much for spare needles as I paid from a Taiwan ebay dealer, and didn't have them in stock anyway); they're more awkward to clean; the needles are not as robust as the tough stainless Iwata ones. And I couldn't get it to spray properly either.

Save your money a bit longer and get a good airbrush. I know nothing of Badger, but for just twice the price of a piece of unreliable junk, you can get an Iwata - extremely well made, simple and robust, easy to strip and clean, work very well. You can get an Iwata HP-CS from Thailand for £61 incl shipping.

HTH - RPG

Just an observation, I was looking on e-bay at the airbrushes and one of them, yes I know it said it had been used once, but looking at the photo, poor quality that it was, it looked as though the person selling it hadn't even cleaned the jars out??? so God knows what the condition of the airbrush was!!!!!!!!!

The problem, with the 350, is that, in reality, it's an external-mix type. This means that the paint is dragged out of the bottle/cup, by the air, and doesn't really mix with it. The 200 mixes the air and paint, before pushing it through the tip, which gives you more control. Ted Taylor has used a 200, for years, and look at his results. Squires Model & Craft Tools, in Bognor Regis, 01243 842424, supply the 200 at £49.99, and that includes postage. I've used Squires, for years, and can thoroughly recommend them; delivery is, usually, 3 days.

A word, of warning, though, you'll, almost certainly, get one of their catalogues, and you'll be surprised at the number of tools that you suddenly find that you can't live without.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Hi Dan, just ti confuse you further, don't dismiss the 'cheaper' brands. Sparmax is reasonably priced at Lucky Model http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?searc...le=&q_word=

parts are listed and their service is excellent. I can't confirm it but have read somewhere that these are made in the same factory as Iwata. Of course they are available at over inflated prices in the UK http://www.graphicsdirect.co.uk/products/1...on-Airbrush.htm as are allairbrushes. Aidan in Ireland

Right lads on your heads be it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've taken your advice and using model madness's link I've purchased the Badger 200 off of e-bay, please, please don't say I've done wrong???? :D

No, you've done exactly the right thing. Treat your airbrush well, clean it thoroughly after every spraying session, and practice, practice, practice, and you'll produce superb finishes for many years. Well done!

Cheers,

Chris.