Hasegawa F-14B Tomcat VF-32 Swordsmen 1/48

Well, I finally took the plunge and took a shot at a 1/48 Hasegawa Tomcat. Overall, I enjoyed building this kit. Yeah there were some parts that took extra time to fix or patch up or whatever, but it wasn't as hideous as I thought it would be. The one thing that really impressed me about this kit was the SIZE of the jet! It literally overshadows my Hase F-16CJ 1/48!

My plan is to build one hi-viz jet from EVERY squadron that particpated from the OEF/OIF era in their last cruise (or last whatever) markings.

Due to the fact that I used Twobobs VF-32 decals, it basically means I haven't started on the first one (with the last cruise markings) yet... because the Twobobs VF-32 decals did not come with home-coming markings for the VF-32 CAG jet. Instead, I should have used the Hasegawa/Cartograf decals from the VF-32 kit, which had an additional special nose art and different crew names. Oh well. I guess this will be a practice one for me, haha!

Oh, I also used VF-Decals GE F110 nozzle decals too! THOSE ARE SWEET!!! :beer4:

Ok, enough talking, onto the pics. Here are only some of the exterior shots, I'll try to get some more detailed shots later on.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by raptor22

more pics

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Question now is... what squad to build next??? I hope to build two at a time because it took me almost 4 months to build this... but then again, I'm a slow builder and I don't take that much time on building :beer4:

Edited by raptor22

Sweet build Ming :thumbsup: . Oddly enough the very same sheet has just arrived in the post this morning courtesy of an ebay win along with twobobs 1/48th apaches. I'm also collecting loads of OIF/OEF stuff at the moment and I'm gonna have myself a monster one man group build!!! :)

Gary

That's an amazing Tomcat :D . Realy great detail on this plane. The weathering looks subtile and isn't really overdone.

You've also made good pictures of the model, almost real :woot.gif: !

Evert

The one thing that really impressed me about this kit was the SIZE of the jet! It literally overshadows my Hase F-16CJ 1/48!

Very, Very Nice build! :cheers:

Nice colour scheme and weathering.

I have one of these half done , and I was also surprised how big the model is turning out to be. ;)

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I love that green part (windscreen) Any info why?

Why is that part of the windshield green? I dunno why... haha! Maybe one of the Tomcat experts here to can tell you that one. My guess is that it's "shade" from the sunlight? I dunno!

But I can tell you how I did it... I took this water-based weathering wash called The Detailer (GREAT STUFF) and simply brushed on an even layer of that stuff onto the inside of the windshield and put it upside down to set for 30 mins or so.

Hey was it a pain to get the canopy to close?

Mike

Mike: Yeah, parts of it was a bit hard. I had to shave off some of the frame (the piece that goes on bottom of the clear plastic piece) in order for it to come down clean.

Edited by raptor22

:huh: :cheers::worship:

Outstanding! :salute:

To answer the question, the center windscreen was green on F-14As and Bs because the HUD information was projected directly onto the glass. Ds had a more 'traditional' HUD, and didn't need the tinted glass.

Daniel

Hmmmm. I thought that one of the differences between an A and a B is the fact that the B model had a different HUD that did NOT project on the widscreen. See DACO F-14 book. In my opinion, the green looks cool though, even if not 100% accurate. Just my $.02 worth. It's a beautiful Tomcat and in 1/48th...I'm working on a Tamiya 1/32 VF-103B and can only dream of having mine look so polished. :huh:

Ben