GBU-31s and RBF tags

Single flag on the pylon.

328-3.jpg

Further to that,they go into a 'hole' on the ERU & lock the clamps in place.On bombs with arming vanes the is also one going thru the arming vanes to stop the 'clockwork' mechanism turning & arming the bomb.This is then linked to the pylon by a steel wire & is pulled out on release of the bomb.This is usually suplimented by a RBF tag which is removed by th armourers.

Further to that,they go into a 'hole' on the ERU & lock the clamps in place.On bombs with arming vanes the is also one going thru the arming vanes to stop the 'clockwork' mechanism turning & arming the bomb.This is then linked to the pylon by a steel wire & is pulled out on release of the bomb.This is usually suplimented by a RBF tag which is removed by th armourers.

You've got it. It is simply a mechanical safety pin for the MAU-12. None of the JDAMs I've loaded have the traditional nose fuze, there is just one loop that attaches to the center of the bomb rack. Makes it easy for us loaders, we don't have to do all the wiring we used to do on the iron Mk 80 series bombs.

BTW..in the US we are bomb loaders. :huh: It was interesting talking with the Harrier maintenance guys we were deployed with in 2003. They were armouers, we were bomb loaders. Harriers were identified as "Marks", and F-16s as "Blocks". And once I caught a ride across base with one of the Brits and he was sitting on the wrong side of the truck! :touche: Love to depoy and party with the Brits. :bandhead2:

Chappie

Edited by Chappie
You've got it. It is simply a mechanical safety pin for the MAU-12. None of the JDAMs I've loaded have the traditional nose fuze, there is just one loop that attaches to the center of the bomb rack. Makes it easy for us loaders, we don't have to do all the wiring we used to do on the iron Mk 80 series bombs.

BTW..in the US we are bomb loaders. :) It was interesting talking with the Harrier maintenance guys we were deployed with in 2003. They were armouers, we were bomb loaders. Harriers were identified as "Marks", and F-16s as "Blocks". And once I caught a ride across base with one of the Brits and he was sitting on the wrong side of the truck! :cheers: Love to depoy and party with the Brits. :whistle:

Chappie

In the RAF we're known as PLUMBERS. Which dates back to WW1 when the guns were water cooled & had to be 'plumbed in'! Also known as BOMBHEADS!

Had a discussion with a rigger (airframes) once who complained that the RAF did'nt need Armourers.I replied "If it was'nt for us plumbers,the RAF would be the biggest flying club in the world!

I replied "If it was'nt for us plumbers,the RAF would be the biggest flying club in the world!

We say the same thing, plus........

If it wasn't for weapons, you're just turning kerosene into noise.

Apologies to Waco, Karl, and all the other stick jockey's here. :beer4: It's still true though!! :D

Chappie

Edited by Chappie
BTW..in the US we are bomb loaders

Heck,us crew dawgs just call ya Load Toads :beer4:

If it wasn't for weapons, you're just turning kerosene into noise

Or "Without weapons,you're just another airline"

Love to depoy and party with the Brits

You would have loved the Brit Tent at Incirlik then,that was the prefered watering hole for a quite a few of us Yanks while we were there :D We had Jags and Nimrod MR's in Turkey,very cool!

Heck,us crew dawgs just call ya Load Toads :)

Or "Without weapons,you're just another airline"

You would have loved the Brit Tent at Incirlik then,that was the prefered watering hole for a quite a few of us Yanks while we were there :angry: We had Jags and Nimrod MR's in Turkey,very cool!

Every year at RAF Kinloss,we had a competition where crews from the US Navy, Canadian Air Force ect came over to compete.

I remember one American 'thought' he was a expert on Whisky & challenged a Scots man to a drinking comp,looser buys the drinks!

The American lost.....