"Fighting 17" background complete

Hi guys,

Put the finishing touches on the background this am. I have a love/hate relationship with clouds - the first couple of hours I'm usually seriously thinking about throwing the thing out the window , but as usual I press on and before long things come together.

Have to let the canvas dry for a few days before I start on the Corsair. It's 24 x 32 oil on linen mounted on panel.

Wade

Fighting_17_backgrd_complete_33.jpg

Here's the small oil sketch I did to use as a rough color guide. Naturally, I changed a few things, but the Corsair will look pretty much the same (hopefully!):

jr_color_study_web_121906.jpg

Edited by Chicoartist

Now certainly, the original study looked great, but I REALLY like the new clouds. I think the Corsair is going to look even better against a background that's not as blue.

--Llarry (who's *really* glad he pre-ordered a print...)

Thx, Llarry - I've been getting very positive feedback (and, yes, in the interest of balance I got one polite negative take via PM on another site) since I posted it on my favorite 5 or 6 sites, plus my email list - hope I can pull off the airplane to match! :(

Wade

Here's an updated pic I shot this morning to put on my site - might as well share it here. My goal is to put the finishing touches on this one NLT 28 Feb. After this, I have an Fw 190 commission that I am chomping at the bit to do. The Fw piece is based on an actual event, where the Fw pilot was lost. Stand by for news on that one!

There's about one week left on my 15% Corsair Giclee print pre-order discount. See this page for details.

JR_stage_1.jpg

Wade

Cracking stuff Wade, my initial concerns that you would have trouble distinguishing parts of the airframe from the darkest sections of the cloudscape were, of course, unfounded. Beautiful use of light, she really leaps off the canvas!

Cracking stuff Wade, my initial concerns that you would have trouble distinguishing parts of the airframe from the darkest sections of the cloudscape were, of course, unfounded. Beautiful use of light, she really leaps off the canvas!

Heh heh - only an artist would think of that! Yes, that was my no. 1 concern from Day 1. I knew I wanted a "dark, moody" background, but I had a problem - the plane is painted in relatively dark paint!

The answer, of course, is simple: use my godlike artistic power over nature and MOVE the sun around to light up the airplane! Ta-Dah! :crying:

Wade

The answer, of course, is simple: use my godlike artistic power over nature and MOVE the sun around to light up the airplane! Ta-Dah! :)

...and Wade said, 'Let there be light'. And so there was light. :lol:

Stunning Wade, Simply Stunning !

You can "Feel" that prop clawing at the air pulling that Big, Beautiful Pirate through the sky !

Your "Study Sketches" look a heck of a lot better than my "work" Sir !

Gregg

VERY nice.

Quick question on materials: When you say it's oil on "linen mounted on panel" - did you mount the linen to a piece of masonite, or use a commercially available canvasboard, or...well, what does this mean? I'm looking for as much info from the pros as I can get...

Quick question on materials: When you say it's oil on "linen mounted on panel" - did you mount the linen to a piece of masonite, or use a commercially available canvasboard, or...well, what does this mean? I'm looking for as much info from the pros as I can get...

Good question!

I use panels that are linen canvas professionally mounted to 1/2-inch thick foam by an outfit called "Wind River Arts". The panels aren't cheap, but they are GOOD.

See their panels here

I use the #359 panel, by the way. I got their "sample pack" of 9 x 12" panels, and I painted scenes on almost all of them - regardless of surface! But I decided on the #359 for my larger works.

Wade

Thanks, Wade. Yeah, once you get larger than "notebook" size, they do get a bit pricy. Might have to wait before I give those a try...

Then again, it might be a while before I have an opportunity to get the paints out again. Still, you never know...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got the print last night -- looks INCREDIBLE in person, Wade!!! Well Done! (Still have to figure out where to hang it...).

Actually didn't think I'd see it for another few days -- wouldn't want you developing a case of "Remarquer's Elbow"...