Topic raised many, many times before

"I just figure they don't know any better... or they believe the end result is worth the grief... or environmentally conscientious."

For the first, I do, thank you. For the second, I do (what little grief there is - or maybe I've learned to deal with it). For the third, yes (the immediate environment of my house).

Enamels smell. Enamels come in silly "tinlets" that you cannot pour paint from cleanly. Enamels are many times more difficult to clean up. Want me to go on?

"I realize it’s just my personal preference, nothing else."

Yes, and mine too, and everyone else's., Just please accept that I, like you, have made an informed choice and it's not that I "... don't know any better". :angry:

:bandhead2: :)

I've used acrylics for about the last 8-9 years brush painting to start with then lately an airbrush.For brush painting Vallejo Model Color are fantastic thinned with tap water.I've also sprayed them thinned as such with a couple of drops of retarder added and had no problems.Xtracrylix are superb for spraying as long as it's thinned with their own thinner and I very rarely have a clogged nozzle. Both of these are added over Halfords primer rubbed down with fine grade wet-n-dry.

My main reasons for the switch are

#1 Quick drying

#2 Easy clean up with water

#3 Little smell

HTH

Stephen

I just figure they don't know any better... or they believe the end result is worth the grief... or environmentally conscientious. :yahoo:

Seriously, I just find enamels are just a lot less problematic. I have and use both. For brush painting small parts I find acrylics to be night & day better than enamels but once I have to go to the airbrush… no question for me, enamels all the way.

I realize it’s just my personal preference, nothing else.

In the year since I returned to the hobby, I've switched back and forth a couple of times. I now use acrylics and am seeing good results. But there is no doubt about it, Larry is right, acrylics are more tempermental.

If you can handle the fumes, I'd suggest you stick with enamels. I work indoors and prefer to avoid the fumes, even if I have to deal with other issues.

Yes there seem to be pros and cons and problems with both, in my past life, airbrushing with enamels I've had problems with them too, spatter, fumes, tip clogging, ok, it was probably my fault for not adding quite enough thinner and one memorable occasion when I was building a Halifax for somebody else the top ( dark green/dark earth camo) went on fine but when I did the underside in matt black for night time camo, it sprayed fine but after it dried the surface of the paint looked and felt like 200 grade sandpaper. :whistle:

Hi Mike, as I raised the post, I accept your appology, I hope Larry does too, because I think we are all grown up enough to know that when friends get together (and I assume we all regard ourselves as friends in the forum) if a topic is raised, at times the discussion can get heated! if somebody feels strongly about something whether it be acrylics or enamels that is only natural. You guys have been a big help in giving me the pros and cons to both types of paint. Many thanks

Pete

With regards the ethyl/isopropl alcohol as thinners, looking them up on the web one price I saw quoted was £20 per litre+vat, was I looking at the wrong thing, cos that seems very pricey to me, but at least if things start to go wrong you can have a quick slurp of it. Cheers. :banana:

Ooh yes, that's definately the wrong stuff!

try here,

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Catal...lcohol_104.html

Thats the stuff I use :thumbsup:

It's also very good for cleaning paintbrushes after using either acrylics or enamels, in fact, you can most probably thin enamels with it too. I might try that later and see if it works!

Jen.

With regards the ethyl/isopropl alcohol as thinners, looking them up on the web one price I saw quoted was £20 per litre+vat, was I looking at the wrong thing, cos that seems very pricey to me, but at least if things start to go wrong you can have a quick slurp of it. Cheers. :unsure:

Try your local pharmacy. Mine charges about £5.50 per 500ml, which lasts me about a year. Don't even think about drinking Isopropanol BP or Ethanol BP. Isopropanol is 99% alcohol by volume, which makes it more than twice as strong as malt whisky. It also tastes very unpleasant, as does ethanol.

In countries where vodka is available cheaply, however, this provides a readily-available, inexpensive, acrylic thinner! :coolio:

Cheers,

Chris.

Ooh yes, that's definately the wrong stuff!

try here,

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Catal...lcohol_104.html

Thats the stuff I use :worship:

It's also very good for cleaning paintbrushes after using either acrylics or enamels, in fact, you can most probably thin enamels with it too. I might try that later and see if it works!

Jen.

This is slightly off topic, but if it's good for cleaning paintbrushes after using enamels, could you also use it to clean your airbrush after using enamels? Using this instead of paint thinner (aka white spirits) would resolve much of the fume issue with using enamels.

P.S. I don't think I've ever seen 99.9% purity, although 91% is easy to come by.

This is slightly off topic, but if it's good for cleaning paintbrushes after using enamels, could you also use it to clean your airbrush after using enamels? Using this instead of paint thinner (aka white spirits) would resolve much of the fume issue with using enamels.

P.S. I don't think I've ever seen 99.9% purity, although 91% is easy to come by.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was that I don't think I've ever seen 99.9% pure at the pharmacy. The link Jen provided seems to be a company that supplies chemicals for industry.

Since the extra 9% is water, it probably wouldn't work with enamel paint. I'll have to hunt down some 99.9% pure here across the pond.

Have to come down on the side of Acrylics- overall they are more friendly - easy to thin and no smell - not really had any clogging problems - particlularly with Xtracrlix - have used both water and the Hannants thinner. Certainly in the colder weather the likleyhood of clogging reduces. One of those little sponges soaked in water even, into which you carefully dab the end of the airbrush in (provided the needle does not project) will help. I have used Lifecolour Vellejo (good for brushing particularly) Aeromaster Xtraclix and Humbrol acrylic and frankly do not think the difference that significant. However each to his own and Jen has it absolutely right - suck it and see! Personally I find (found) familiarity with airbrush spraying is really the answer - the workman rather than the tool needs honing!

David.

PS I got my Isopropyl in Maplins - about £10.00 per litre I think - a while ago - just shows how the mark up can vary- However it is used so slowly over the course of time the extra is not that much I suppose - have a look at the cost of Hannants thinner. There was some discussion a while ago about Hannants not sending paint without kits - I am now told that Acrylic is non inflammable and they will send it on its' own.

Edited by miduppergunner
Hi Mike, as I raised the post, I accept your appology, I hope Larry does too, because I think we are all grown up enough to know that when friends get together (and I assume we all regard ourselves as friends in the forum) if a topic is raised, at times the discussion can get heated! if somebody feels strongly about something whether it be acrylics or enamels that is only natural. You guys have been a big help in giving me the pros and cons to both types of paint. Many thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,

There was really nothing for Mike to apologize for... the two of us were just misinterpreting each others tone.