Just what is it about the F-14 Tomcat?

Kind of a spin of of the Speed and Angels thread....

Speed and Angels is now the THIRD film that primarily features the F-14 Tomcat. So far as I know, its contomporaries, F-15, F-16, F-18, collectively have been primarly featured in NONE. Nada. Zip. You might be able to make an exception for Independence Day as there was a lot of (mostly fake) footage of the F-18 Hornet there, but the F-18 really was not the star of the show. But with The Final Countdown, Top Gun, and now apparently Speed and Angels, it seems like the Tomcat is front and center in all three. Combine that with all of the crying over the aircraft's retirement and it is obvious that this aircraft has made a deep impression, into our very souls, it seems. Why do you think this is? It can't be the aircraft carrier thing, as there have been as many if not more Hornets on ships than anything else for the last 15 years. It can't be the aircraft's combat record, as the F-15 and F-16 have had WAY more encounters than the Tomcat (4 vs like 100 or so?). Just what is it about this plane?

The F-16 was in Iron Eagle...

The F-15 was in Red Flag...

OnT: Something about the Tomcat's shape, I guess. It looks like it's going fast just sitting there. And its "cool" swing-wing capability. And, you have to admit, EVERY Tomcat nut has seen Top Gun, like the most inspiring Navy recruitment movie of all time.

Edited by albert_sy2
It's the way it looks.

Big, brutal, yet smooth and sexy.

:nanner:

There were F/A-18s in The Rock. F-16's in Blue Thunder. F-14's in Excecitive Decision. F-15's In Air Force One. There were several grade B movies made that used film from the Iron Eagle series and TOP GUN as well.

Basically you have to look at the time the films were made or when they represent, plus the subject matter. Both Final Countdown and Top Gun were about the Navy and, at the time, the F-14 was the primary fighter. If Final Countdown or Top Gun were remade today, they would probably have Hornets, simply because that's what's out there now.

Besides, Final Coutdown was made in 1980 and Top Gun in 1986. Three films over the last 27 years featuring Tomcats doesn't seem to represent any real trend in popularity to me.

Hornets were practically all ya saw in "Independence Day", although there were some faux Vipers on the "Area 51" ramp, and a smashed Eagle tail with an LA tail code in the ruins of El Toro.

Edited by SimFixer

To me, the F-14 was the epitome(SP?) of the Cold War. It was big (the biggest carrier-launched fighter ever), had the (at the time) most advanced and capable radar in the world, could track and shoot at six targets at the same time, had swing-wing technology, and it's soul purpose was to shoot down the scores of Soviet bombers coming at US carriers.

Despite this never happening, the F-14 adapted well to whatever job came up. It was a decent dogfighter, it was fast and manouverable, which made it useful for recon missions, and was developed into a bomb truck, and was able to do that job well too. Plus, as others have said, it's sexy looking with its tapered lines and swept back wings. It kind of captures the imagination.

Aaron

We need a movie starring the Tweet!

"TOP TWEET"? :D

Viper: "Gentlemen....we're gonna teach ya to fly the Tweet...RIGHT to the edge of the envelope...faster than you've ever flown it before, and more dangerous. And make no mistake....there are no points for second place.."

--------------------------------

Murph: "No, no, no, no.....there's ONE 'u' and a 'ph' in "Murph", boys..."

--------------------------------

Charlie to Murph: "So let me get this straight: you were in a 2G...INVERTED dive with a Stearman?

Murph: "Yes ma'am"

Charlie: "At what range?"

Murph: "....That's classifed....I could tell you but then I'd have to take you for an acro ride in the Tweet and make you regret you ever brought the subject up..."

:whistle: ;)

Edited by SimFixer
It's the way it looks.

Big, brutal, yet smooth and sexy.

:cop:

I don't know about the smooth part, I seen quite a few Tomcats with small bump dents from being parked in close quarters together on moving carrier decks ... ;)

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost
Kind of a spin of of the Speed and Angels thread....

Speed and Angels is now the THIRD film that primarily features the F-14 Tomcat. So far as I know, its contomporaries, F-15, F-16, F-18, collectively have been primarly featured in NONE. Nada. Zip. You might be able to make an exception for Independence Day as there was a lot of (mostly fake) footage of the F-18 Hornet there, but the F-18 really was not the star of the show. But with The Final Countdown, Top Gun, and now apparently Speed and Angels, it seems like the Tomcat is front and center in all three. Combine that with all of the crying over the aircraft's retirement and it is obvious that this aircraft has made a deep impression, into our very souls, it seems. Why do you think this is? It can't be the aircraft carrier thing, as there have been as many if not more Hornets on ships than anything else for the last 15 years. It can't be the aircraft's combat record, as the F-15 and F-16 have had WAY more encounters than the Tomcat (4 vs like 100 or so?). Just what is it about this plane?

Revenge was made with an F-14A+ (<_< and the scene's were filmed at the Trona Pinnacles, just 20 miles from China Lake. I got some pictures while they were filming... Man that was so long ago. I'll have to scan some and post them...

One thing to consider about the Tomcat is: It never HAD to perform it's primary mission in anger! Pretty darned good deterant if you ask me.

Congress could have helped buy supplying enough money when it really needed it to make it the most potent fighter in the world.

Cheers.

Larry.