Just what is it about the F-14 Tomcat?

An F-4 appears also in Andromeda Strain

It was supposed to be an RF-4, of course every time they showed a close up of the pilot (and the later wreckage of another F-4 that crashed) it had magically transformed into an F-100.

RED FLAG: THE ULTIMATE GAME featured F-4s pretty prominantly. Starring William Devane and (I think) Barry Bostwick, it was centered around a Phantom unit's rotation through a Red Flag exercise.

Might have even been a made-for-TV movie and not a theatrical release. Lots of F-4s and F-5s, I recall the film digressed into some cheesiness at times, but still a lot of flying.

IIRC, the main plotline was a not-always-friendly rivalry building between F-4 pilot Bostwick and F-5 pilot Devane, culminating when Bostwick comes up with some new maneuver that has him beating the aggressor pilots and when Devane tries to duplicate it, he crashes. Probably the inevitable romantic entaglements too.

One of my old OG's was flying F-5E's with the Gomers at the time (interesting individual, since he also had time in the Red Eagles), and he said William Devane was a great guy, but Bostwick was a real sphincter. The movie did have some incredibly (unintentionally) funny stuff in it, like when the main character (Bostwick) takes his wife and his "blues" with him to Red Flag, and then doesn't meet his WSO on his first Red Flag sortie till he is climbing into the jet; they obviously skipped the 4 hours of briefing for the sortie. Those who flew F-4's have said, the "secret" maneuver is instantly recognizable as the "double handed, Polish heart attack."

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
F-16's were in Iron Eagle, Iron Eagle II, Iron Eagle VI, Superman II, Superman III, Coneheads, Flight of the Black Angel.

F-16s were in Blue Thunder, but I don't remember any F-16s in Superman II or III :cheers:

F-16s were in Blue Thunder, but I don't remember any F-16s in Superman II or III :lol:

It has been a while since I have seen either Superman II or III but I thought there was a YF-16 shot in there chasing either General Zod or chasing after whatever supercomputer that Richard Pryor was working on.

YES, BY ANOTHER FIGHTER, NOT GROUND FIRE!

That sort of thing happens when your aircraft struggles to go supersonic.

Yeah, by a Miracle missile that flew for over 5 minutes ... :D

Wood and Wolf were shot down by a MiG-28, a plane that doesn't even exist ! :) :)

F-16s were also in X-Men 2 ... taken out by Storm's tornadoes ...

I believe there was a dayglo coloured QF-4B (N?) as well as a SEA camo'ed F-4E in "The Concorde: Airport '79"

I remember Mirage F.1s being scrambled to shoot down an errant missile too.

Trivia:

Many of the flying sequences in the movie feature Concorde F-BTSC. Coincidentally this aircraft, operating as Air France Flight 4590, is the same Concorde that crashed into a hotel after take-off from Paris Charles de Gaulle International Airport on July 25, 2000 killing all on board, and four on the ground. This accident led to permanent grounding of the Concordes, in 2003.

source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Concorde:_Airport_'79

Yeah, by a Miracle missile that flew for over 5 minutes ... :o

Wood and Wolf were shot down by a MiG-28, a plane that doesn't even exist ! :o :o

F-16s were also in X-Men 2 ... taken out by Storm's tornadoes ...

And the X-Jet was in turn taken out by the Aim-120's fired at it.

So who ultimately wins?

How about the F4u's in Baa Baa Black Sheep? And the C-119 in Conair?

I also have a video called "Starfighter" about the F-104. Crap movie, great airplane shots. Rated "M" for some reason. No one swears, the only "violence" is the minigun shooting and bombs, hardly worth an "M" rating.

It has been a while since I have seen either Superman II or III but I thought there was a YF-16 shot in there chasing either General Zod or chasing after whatever supercomputer that Richard Pryor was working on.

Maybe in Superman III. I haven't seen that one in decades (and for good reason, it sucked), but there were no fighters in II.

And the X-Jet was in turn taken out by the Aim-120's fired at it.

So who ultimately wins?

Raytheon

Not sure if this counts... but... there was Macross Zero too...

Yeah! I have a copy of Mac Zero Ep 1... the CG of the Tomcat is great! Anyway, the Tomcat they flew had a similar radome shape as the Valkyrie (Veritech for you Robotech people). Strange shape for a radome.

:rolleyes: