Shading Panel lines

So I have a LOT of Monogram kits with those pesky raised panel lines, but I only have a LITTLE patience for scribing and sanding and such.

Is there a technique for pre-shading and shading raised panel lines?

Thanks for looking!

JB

So I have a LOT of Monogram kits with those pesky raised panel lines, but I only have a LITTLE patience for scribing and sanding and such.

Is there a technique for pre-shading and shading raised panel lines?

Thanks for looking!

JB

I do it exactly the same way as the engraved lines. No difference for me other than post shading is restricted to one side of the line. The bird shown here has most panel lines raised (Well... some anyway)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q1/Miccara/geo20005.jpg

Edited by Miccara

Thanks very much. I figured pre-shading would be about the same, but it sounds like regular panel shading is the same as well. Should help out quite a bit when I start working on the Monogram kits I've got.

Thanks again,

JB

My technique is as follows: preshading is done normal way... but since it's hard to get a good panel lines wash, I use pastel powder to enhance the look of panel lines... from 1 meter distance, you can't tell the difference, wheter the lines are engraved or raised...

pics of my 1/72 F-5E

14.jpg

16.jpg

• 1 year later...

Like the pastel guys, I use those and a soft graphite pencil. Sharpening the tip helps me get a little more accurate, darker, starting point. From there I "pull" the first bit of the marking across the panel line with a very short, stiff bristled brush. Gives the line a nice gradiation rather than a line with only one shade. Looks a little more realistic to me. VG