Hey guys,

I've never built in a GB before, it sounds fun, plus I need inspiration to actually complete a model. I have the 1/32 scale Revell RF-4C model, my question is, what would I need to somewhat accurately make this a JASDF aircraft? I use to have the hasagawa jasdf 48th phantom, it was in the markings of the sq. with the red, blue and yellow bird on the tail. I don't know what SQ. that is, but do/did they fly the RF-4's? I just like the looks of that emblem. I'm sure I'll have many other questions as it goes. Hopefully this will actually get done.

JASDF never flew RF-4C, just RF-4E. I'm not an expert but I think there is a slightly difference in the nose shape and cameras installation.

All JASDF recce plane flew with 501st Hikotai. I think no one ever made 32 scale decals for JASDF RF-4E. Sorry.

Happy modleling

Paolo

42spcur.jpg

Edited by Paolo Maglio
The long -E exhausts are still in the Revell RF-4C boxing, so that isn't a problem. However, it only has the flat nose and the JASDF RFs that I've seen have the rounded nose.

So I guess the next question is, do they make a conversion for that, or would it be too hard to try to do a scratch conversion? The decals aren't a problem, I can pretty much make up whatever I need as long as I get good reference photos.

Thanks for your help guys, are there any other pitfalls I should think about?

Bill

So I guess the next question is, do they make a conversion for that, or would it be too hard to try to do a scratch conversion? The decals aren't a problem, I can pretty much make up whatever I need as long as I get good reference photos.

Thanks for your help guys, are there any other pitfalls I should think about?

Bill

There is no 1/32 round nose RF conversion. Many people wish there was.

There is no 1/32 round nose RF conversion. Many people wish there was.

I guess I need to study the photos a little more, i understand the nose is flatter on the rf-4c's, so how far back does the shape difference go? If it's just the shape of the very end of the nose, that shouldn't be too hard to modify (he says with a false sense of security) If it goes back to where the camera assembly is, now that may be a little beyond my skills. Does anyone know of a good profile reference of the two different outlines?

Bill

So am barking up an empty tree here? Should I hold the RF for some other project?

I guess I need to study the photos a little more, i understand the nose is flatter on the rf-4c's, so how far back does the shape difference go? If it's just the shape of the very end of the nose, that shouldn't be too hard to modify (he says with a false sense of security) If it goes back to where the camera assembly is, now that may be a little beyond my skills. Does anyone know of a good profile reference of the two different outlines?

Bill

So am barking up an empty tree here? Should I hold the RF for some other project?

The nose is not an RF-4C or -E thing. RF-4Cs could be seen with both noses, Luftwaffe RF-4Es had flat noses, JASDF RF-4Es had round noses, Israei RF-4Es had both, but mostly round noses. The picture above is of the round nose. The difference is the profile under the nose from the radome to the nose wheel door. It is a smooth curve on the round nose birds.

You can see the flat nose, which is more angular, HERE