Software error delays F-22s’ Japan trip

Use a Mac OS on the Raptor? I think the pilots actually want to get where they're going, not draw cartoons and make picture books to entertain themselves. :unsure:

Oh i think you may be surprised

Use a Mac OS on the Raptor? I think the pilots actually want to get where they're going, not draw cartoons and make picture books to entertain themselves. :)

If they wanted to play World of Warcraft or The Sims all day, then I guess Windows would be the better way to go. :taunt:

*break*

Everyone's blaming the baseline OS, but we don't know if some clown back at Langley installed a third party app like After Dark or Limewire. That could have very well caused a conflict with something else, resulting in the application crash.

Edited by Trigger

Dozer has an explanation where he posted on Fencecheck. The reason is really humorous and actually makes you go :taunt:. No issues with the plane and sounds like a simple software fix to prevent this from happening again.

Sorry folks been out of touch for a few days. As you can read on the site we experienced a problem on the deployment leg from Hawaii to Kadena. I thinks its funny since there are so many complicated things that it would be so simple as a line of software code and I believe it's going to be about that simple. Who would have thought, or caught, the software line of code that divided 180 by 0 when you cross the dateline from east to west?? Obviously some engineer never considered that! From my perspective its one of those little things you continue to work out of the system as it matures - they already have a fix in place and the contractor has people on the ground fixing it - to be quite honest, I think its a tremendous sucess story - why? A problem was discovered (expected in a new jet no matter what Raptor opponents will say, NO jet has ever been problem free nor will there ever be), and within a few days its identified and a fix is being put in place in the field, 5,000 miles away out in the field on an operational deployment - that sure seems like one heck'uva a feat to me! In fact, they're now working on the code to make sure we don't discover another "feature" like that to make sure it's good around the globe. This is such a non-event it's laughable. But I'm sure someone will want to make an issue of it. The only thing I'm surprised about is that they didn't continue on to Guam as opposed to turning around and going all the way back to Hawaii but I wasn't there so will have to wait and see why they did that. I have a feeling they'll be on their way soon.

I also laugh because if you read the F-15's history it was also hailed as too expensive, we didn't need it, and it had a ton of problems in it's development and it's not even in the same universe as the Raptor is regarding complexity or capability during it's initial fielding. And yet, 30 years later everyone acknowledges how great the Eagle is, how much it's done, we're happy we had it, etc etc. - sometimes people so short sighted.

http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/index.php....html#msg126368

I hate to be the software programmer who oversaw this! :)

Edited by Raptor Supporter
Who would have thought, or caught, the software line of code that divided 180 by 0 when you cross the dateline from east to west??

That's still not as bad as that Mars orbiter loss because one engineering team used metric units while another used English units.

I'm coming in waaay late on this one, but don't they teach pilotage and dead reckoning anymore? :D Maybe they should install some back-up VOR and ADF gauges.

Chappie

Dead reckoning techniques over the featureless Pacific ocean from Hawaii to Okinawa is NOT something I would want to do, even if I were well versed in it. Plus, VOR and ADF isn't exactly a workable solution either when one is out over the deep ocean, far from any land bases transmitting such signals. A Loran system on the otherhand would potentially work since the Coast Guard still maintain it for maritime traffic. For distances like this, even a commercial jet liner would rely on INS or GPS (or both) to hit some of those tiny island airports.

I work on the F22 cockpit avionics. Lots of problems to electronics cooling from dirty outside humid air. Most other fighters up until now had an air filtration/drying system. But I guess someone thought that humisealing the circuit boards would insulate them throughly from all elements and save some money too. :D I know I never had this many problems on the F-18s, 15s or F-14 stuff I worked on and never this frequently with this new a stuff. Oh well its a living!

Edited by GForceSS

Software development legend has it that the F16 autopilot software inverted the F16 (cockpit side down) the first time they tried to fly it across the equator. A similar boo boo involving the international date line doesn't surprise me at all.

Clarence

The Air Force used the B-1B named Polarized to prove the aircraft avionics were immune to such a problem as experienced by the F-22. They flew it north across the pole, south of the equator and west of the date line to verify system performance.

Mark

I work on the F22 cockpit avionics. Lots of problems to to cooling from dirty outside humid air. Most other fighters up until now had an air filtration/drying system. But I guess someone thought that humisealing the circuit boards would insulate them throughly from all elements and save some money too. :thumbsup: I know I never had this many problems on the F-18s, 15s or F-14 stuff I worked on and never this frequently with this new a stuff. Oh well its a living!

I don't know if I should laugh or shake my head from what you just said.

I work on the F22 cockpit avionics. Lots of problems to to cooling from dirty outside humid air. Most other fighters up until now had an air filtration/drying system. But I guess someone thought that humisealing the circuit boards would insulate them throughly from all elements and save some money too. ;) I know I never had this many problems on the F-18s, 15s or F-14 stuff I worked on and never this frequently with this new a stuff. Oh well its a living!
I don't know if I should laugh or shake my head from what you just said.

Me too.