Where can I buy a 1/48 Refueling probe for Israeli F-4E???

Hey,

Does anyone know where I can buy a 1/48 scale refueling probe that will work for an Israeli F-4E?

I can't seem to find one.

Is there something I can substitute, or scratchbuild? If so, where can I get the front of the probe?

Additionally, my next task is finding 1/48 Python missiles...

Angels 42 and climbing,

Vern

If you are building an F-4E from the ProModeler kit, I don't think you need the probe since the kit is a hard winged F-4. The IAF got hard wing F-4s in their first shipments and I believe this is what they used during the Yom Kippur war. But not too long after, the jets got converted to slatted wing F-4s and this probably would have been the time that the refuelling probes were added. The probe as I recall was a relatively late addition to the fleet anyway.

If I recall correctly, their new build F-4s that were sold as part of the original 1969 deal weren't set up for it as a step taken to limit the range of the jets (since the arab countries also had no fighter bombers capable of aerial refuelling to extend their range). The A-4 Skyhawks kept their probes as they are a relatively short ranged jet by comparison to the F-4E. I will have to check for sure to see if this line of thinking is correct though as the IAF didn't deploy a flying boom tanker until the mid to late 1990s, when the F-4s were on their way out of the fleet, being replaced by the F-15Is. The earlier model F-15 and F-16 fighters that Israel got were also boom capable aircraft as that capability was used for the ferry flights from the USA.

So, if you are doing a slatted wing F-4, then I could see the need for the probe. But, not on a hard winged F-4. Several of the F-4Es we supplied as attrition replacements for the Yom Kippur losses operated without refuelling probes since they were USAF spec anyway and transferred from USAF units. Those jets at least flew combat sorties without the probes.

To do a proper slatted wing F-4E, the best kit to get is Hasegawa 09566. It has markings for a Kurnass 2000 F-4 upgrade, although the plastic (including the cockpit) is for a standard F-4E with a slatted wing. But, it does have a white metal refuelling probe and it looks GREAT. Finding one admittedly could be tough as they sold out rather quickly when they were first issued. But I managed to find one easily enough without having to pre-order it.

Edited by Jay Chladek

Thanks Everybody, your answers are really appreciated.

I was lucky enough to find a store here in Vancouver with the AirDoc resin probe.

I also picked up the AirDoc weapons pylons as well. Pricey but nice!

Now, all that is left is to find a slatted wing for my Pro-modeller F-4E.

Many Many Thanks,

Vern

Well, if you are three quarters of the way there with the probe, just find yourself a Hasegawa F-4E with the slatted wing since the Promodeler kit is a rebox of a Hasegawa one anyway. Otherwise unless another ARCer has a spare wing set to provide, I don't recall anyone offering one as an aftermarket option for purchase.

Good luck with your project anyway.

Vern,

Jay is right-buy a Hasegawa slatted E and leave the Pro.mod. kit for another job.

You can easily get an extra probes out of a Hobbicraft A-4 kits,as they have spare ones(the late versions).

You just have to bend them right.

Jay-IAF started to use boom tankers in the late 70ties or early 80ties(remember the raid on Saddam's reactor-1981?Or the raid on PLO in Tunisia-1985?).They just didn't use them on F-4s because of a small receptacle.All F-4s eventually got probes.They started the conv.as early as 1974.

Isaac

Vern,

Jay is right-buy a Hasegawa slatted E and leave the Pro.mod. kit for another job.

You can easily get an extra probes out of a Hobbicraft A-4 kits,as they have spare ones(the late versions).

You just have to bend them right.

Jay-IAF started to use boom tankers in the late 70ties or early 80ties(remember the raid on Saddam's reactor-1981?Or the raid on PLO in Tunisia-1985?).They just didn't use them on F-4s because of a small receptacle.All F-4s eventually got probes.They started the conv.as early as 1974.

Isaac

I had a feeling they may have been used for the PLO Tunisia (more like 1987). But to my knowledge, the Osirak reactor raid was done without In Flight Refuelling. They hot fuelled the F-16s on the runway before take off to top off the tanks to make sure they had the range and they only could fly the attack. There was apparently no chance of turning and burning if they got caught out by any interceptors (that is what the F-15 top cover was for).

I had a feeling they may have been used for the PLO Tunisia (more like 1987). But to my knowledge, the Osirak reactor raid was done without In Flight Refuelling. They hot fuelled the F-16s on the runway before take off to top off the tanks to make sure they had the range and they only could fly the attack. There was apparently no chance of turning and burning if they got caught out by any interceptors (that is what the F-15 top cover was for).

I saw a special on the Military Channel about this (if you guys have it, you should check the schedule, they play it every couple of weeks, it's called "Raid on the Reactor".) and they talked about hot-fueling the aircraft, and still not knowing if they had the range. There was NO room for error on that attack. Very brave and gutsy move by the Israelis.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801