Skyraider Question

Hey Michael,

The -4N was the night fighter version. It had the "car doors" in the sides and a radar operator and ECM operater that sat in the fuselage. Other external differences were flash shields on the 4 20MM cannons and some cooling scoops for the radar/ECM equipment. It also carried the large radar pod under the starboard wing. It was flown by both Navy and Marine units in Korea. I'm not sure how the Hobbycraft kit is built, but leave off the doors or do away with the door scribing and you've pretty much got a -4 Able Dog.

Chuck

Chuck-

Thanks for the reply. During my research on the net I found a review for this kit, while it is not glowing by any means it gets an OK rating. The kit reviewer wrote that the Hobbycraft kit is an AD-4 packaged with AD-4N decals. It seems that -4N decals are easily gettable. While I was searching for AD-4 decals I found that AeroMaster made a sheet that had two sets of AD-3 decals. Unfortunately they are no longer available. If I can find that sheet I hope to be able to back-date the kit to AD-3 trim.

-Michael

If you're building the 1/72 Hobbycraft Skyraider, be aware that while the box top may say it's an AD-4, it isn't. The plastic in all the Hobbycraft A-1/AD kits is the same and is for a later AD-6/7 or A-1H/J. Biggest visible external differences are the large underwing pylons that are very different on the AD-6/7 than the earlier single-seat versions. You can't build an AD-4 from any 1/72 Skyraider kit OOB, you need to convert.

I'm doing a Korean War -4 in 1/48 and I found some of the things to change, but I'm not sure I got everything.

-The large beacon on the leading edge of the fin tip has to come off

- The 'bolt on' armor plate on the fuselage sides under the cockpit needs to be removed

- The long faired antenna on the spine needs to be removed

- Some of the early AD-4s had 2 20mm instead of 4. Delete the outboard ones if you need to.

As for the pylons, the ones on the folding portion of the wings appear to be interchangeable. I have seen pics of -4s with stub pylons and some with the larger variety. The inboard ones that have the angled leading edges are incorrect for the -4 but as of yet I haven't found a clear photo of the early style so I left them off. I hope this helps a little.

Joe-

What's involved in the conversion of the Hobbycraft kit? Are parts available or is this conversion done from scratch?

-Michael

Chris7607 pretty much covered it. There is no commercial conversion I'm aware of in 1/72, but it really isn't that hard to do. The pylons are easily carved from some laminated sheet plastic, I'm not sure if the ones I made are COMPLETELY accurate but they're close enough. Just make sure that they match from one side of the airplane to the other. The only reference I had to work from was the "Skyraider in Action" book, so that's what I used. If you have an example of the Esci/Scalecraft/AMT 1/48 AD-4W kit, it has the correct pylons included that can serve as a pattern.

If you have an example of the Esci/Scalecraft/AMT 1/48 AD-4W kit, it has the correct pylons included that can serve as a pattern.

Really? I think that's the kit in Italeri's box, and that's the one I'm building. Italeri says it's an A-1H but it doesn't have all of the correct stuff for a -6. It doesn't have the tail beacon or antenna on the spine but it does have the armor plating. More like a mix of -4 and -6 bits. All of the pylons appear to be the later types though. I did some scratchbuilding to the wheel wells and the cockpit to improve the looks. Next time I think I'll stick with Monogram or Tamiya.

Really? I think that's the kit in Italeri's box, and that's the one I'm building. Italeri says it's an A-1H but it doesn't have all of the correct stuff for a -6. It doesn't have the tail beacon or antenna on the spine but it does have the armor plating. More like a mix of -4 and -6 bits. All of the pylons appear to be the later types though. I did some scratchbuilding to the wheel wells and the cockpit to improve the looks. Next time I think I'll stick with Monogram or Tamiya.

It's gotta be the "Guppy" version from the aforementioned companies; the standard attack kit from Esci/etc. is an A-1H/J. You need the one with the extended spine fairing behind the cockpit and big, bulging radome under the belly.

Mike; I am building the 1/48th French AD-4/Swedish AD-4Wkit by Esci. Iam building it as a U.S. Blue Korean War AD-4NA. I got the decals for this plane from Metor (cutting edge decals. Check them out, nice looking. The only dif between the 4 N and 4NA is the NA had the electronics removed. The kit has the proper car door with window for the kit I am building The kit can also be made into a 4W (parts included. All I am going to add for my U.S. one is the little loop/scoop thing on top of the rear fuslage. Looks just like the pis's in the CuttingEdge decals. Might want to take a look at the decals. Makes a catchy sight (even has nose art).

Bill

Michael,

You'll find these posts to Hyperscale of interest:

French AD-4's

don fenton

Questions for Vincent - French AD-4's

Wed Mar 14 09:15:38 2001

Vincent,

I'm getting ready for the release of your French AD-4 decals by accumulating aftermarket parts for the Tamiya kit. I presume that the French operated these AD-4 aircraft without the bolt-on armor. I looked at your French Skyraider resin set from MDC. Those beautifully detailed external tanks in the set, are they the same external tanks as used by the -7 Corsair? Or are these the elusive "Bidons Speciaux"? I presume that any other ordnance, other than the resin AR's, would be US bombs (GP's or Fragmentation). Could 5" HVAR's be used instead of the resin AR's in the set?

Thanks for the help!

Don

French AD4 — Vincent, Wed Mar 14 12:56

Thanks Vincent! Now what to with.. — don fenton, Wed Mar 14 13:27

Bits — Vincent, Wed Mar 14 13:33

Have the conversion set. . — Drewe Manton, Wed Mar 14 13:38

Thanks ! I'm blushing — Vincent, Wed Mar 14 13:44

Vincent

French AD4

Wed Mar 14 12:56:22 2001

Hi Don !

All french AD4 were USN Korean war veterans and most of them had the bold on armor. Some, mostly AD4N, did not have it but the french air force later purchased some armor kit for some (but not all) AD4N.

As with ordonance, since these birds were 1950's vintage, they used the Mk5 drop tank (the same as Corsair) and these were not the Napalm bombs (I still have to scan you the pic of the Bidons).

However, the french napalm bombs were just recycled drop tanks so several variations existed.

As for the rockets, yes they used both the french T10 and the US HVAR.

I have a pic of one of the AD4N after reception and they came in a very poor condition. But we did give them a good home !

Vincent

don fenton

Vincent, MDC AD-4 decals and ? about ordnance

Wed Nov 21 18:42:05 2001

Hello Vincent,

Bought the MDC French AD-4 decals. Beautiful. At last an alternative to the usual blue, grey/white and camo Spads.

I also purchased the MDC Skyraider conversion set. Now the usual question to bother you. What ordnance was carried by these Spads? If the fuel tanks are put on the wings with the conversion set rockets that leaves only the centerline for something else. Or are the tanks provided in the set the Bidons Speciaux you have previously mentioned? Any help appreciated! What decals are next?

Regards,

Don

Vincent

French Spad

Thu Nov 22 03:08:34 2001

Hi Don,

Thanks for the nice words...

About ordonnance now :

The french used about everything on the AD4 :

- French T10 rockets

- US HVAR rockets (use the ones in the Tamiya kit)

- All US iron bombs

- British bombs

- Bidons speciaux (Napalm)

For the later, they were recycled drop tanks of all kind of shape, mostly long ones (not the one supplied in the MDC set). Hobbycraft Bearcat Napalm tanks are quite OK. My aim was to provide stores that could not be found in the Tamiya box already...

I hope you'll enjoy the building.

Next decals are for the forthcoming Hasegawa 109 and will offer 6 finnish wartime schemes.

Vincent

don fenton

Now a question about the color scheme.

Thu Nov 22 10:08:53 2001

Thanks Vincent. The MDC Conversion set has some notes concerning the color scheme. These instructions state that the rocket pylons are to be painted black. The decal sheet instructions show the the pylons in silver. No mention is made of these being finished in black. Which is correct?

Thanks!

Don

P.S. - Did you receive those additional B-339D images?

Vincent

Both are correct

Thu Nov 22 16:21:42 2001

But they were black more often than silver...

As for the B339, you sent something else than the cockpit shots ?

Didn't get anything else then...

Take care Don

Vincent

Interesting posts, but my goal is to build an early AD in US colors. I thought the 1/72 Hobbycraft so-called "French AD-4" would make a good start, but from what I am hearing here is that kit is actually a -6/7. It looks like I'll have to rethink my approach to this build.

-Michael

Interesting posts, but my goal is to build an early AD in US colors. I thought the 1/72 Hobbycraft so-called "French AD-4" would make a good start, but from what I am hearing here is that kit is actually a -6/7. It looks like I'll have to rethink my approach to this build.

-Michael

Ooops! Misunderstood your query. I thought that you wanted to build an AD-4 or AD-4N in French service but in the GSB when turned over to the French. Sorry for all the verbage.

Don