Far from a definitive answer...working from the haze of a June port visit there....

On the main drag is the Dragon flagship store (Universal Models?). Further down, and off the beaten path was a couple blocks of nothing but hobby stores - mostly RC but plenty of models too.

I found everything through google. Great place to be there though, I dropped $100 and got about $350 worth of stuff in the US.

HK is a GREAT town!

Spongebob

• 2 weeks later...
These are the shops I like to frequent when I am in Hong Kong (all are in Kowloon):

Universal Models Limited (UML) - have two great shops near each other in Mong Kok. The smaller is on Waterloo Road (which runs north-south to the east of Nathan Road). Easiest way to get there is to turn off Nathan Road east onto Dundas Street, go to the end of Dundas and turn left onto Waterloo Road (heading north). Go about a block and a half, under the KCR railway bridge, and UML is just on the left. This shop has a good stock of Hasegawa and Tamiya aircraft.

The larger UML shop, their 'flagship' store, is at 579 Nathan Road. This is on the west side of Nathan Road, opposite Dundas Street. Although the address is 'Nathan Road' you have to turn west off Nathan Road. The shop entrance is small asit is mainly on the 1st and 2nd floors (using 'English' floor numbers). This shop has a good stock of Hasegawa and Tamiya aircraft, as well as some other brands.

UML do not seem to stock Trumpeter, Hobby Boss or Academy.

Between these two UML shops, on Dundas Street, are many smaller model shops. Most sell armour, action figures or R/C, but some have a good range of plastic kits. I go to these for Trumpeter and Hobby Boss models, but they also will have Hasegawa, Tamiya, etc. Almost everywhere sells Gunze products; some have Tamiya paint, etc.

Continental Models is another shop with a good range but slightly dearer in price. I forget the exact number, but the shop is 3xx Nathan Road. Again, it is not actually on Nathan Road, but about 50 yards down a sidestreet to the west. The street is just north of the Wing On shopping Mall on Nathan Road. If you head south on Nathan Road from Mong Kok, Nathan Road takes a slight bend to the right and then keep going until you get to the Wing On centre.

UML does have another small store in Windsor House plaza on the Island (Causeway Bay), but they don't carry plastic kit aircraft anymore - only cars and Gundam robots.

I am sure there are other stores I haven't managed to find yet!

Remember to take ID with you (driving licence/passport/etc) as UML gave me 10% off some products if I could show I didn't live in Hong Kong.

I have learned when shopping for models in HK that I rarely get what I am looking for, but always find a bargain and come away with a surprise! I usually reckon on paying 1/3-2/3 of the UK price for Asian kits (other manufacturers, like Classic Airframes, are still cheap, but not *as* cheap). If you're from the the US the prices might not look so attractive - I think in pounds, and sterling is very strong at the moment.

HTH

Jon

Thought I would post this here as it is quite useful

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

>>>UML does have another small store in Windsor House plaza on the Island (Causeway Bay), but they don't carry plastic kit aircraft anymore - only cars and Gundam robots.

In reference to the above concerning the UML store in Causeway Bay. I went there last week knowing that I had read the above post. While I was in the store, I was too stupid to asked the staff what happened to the "real" models. :) After I have gotten home, I went to the UML site and here is what I found:

The branch shop in Causeway Bay is divided into 2 locations; one remains in the current location at the In Square, specialized in trendy toys and collectible products, while the new shop is situated in a prime location - the Continental Diamond Plaza next to Sogo, devoted exclusively to model makers. This new shop is a veritable treasure chest of model kits, accessories, books and tools, and indeed it is the largest hobby sanctuary on the whole of Hong Kong Island!

According to the description, the new store could be just around the corner since I noticed a Sogo store near by. Hope this helps the next person who goes that way.

Yuk

• 7 months later...

Just an update.

Went to UML in Mongkok and Continental Models both off Nathan Road and found the owners very helpful. In fact I was given 10% off by UML because I was a tourist, but make sure you have ID. Both shops were well stocked with up to date releases in both.

😊 to both of them. I am sure you will find something tempting, I did.

Looking forward to my next trip.

Robert

Edited by Tomcat Trebor

sorry to bust your balloon, but..

10% only?

if you go during sales period (jun, jul) you'd get the 10% off on top of the store discounts. the store discounts are so big, that for 40 USD, i got a Hasegawa 1/48 Super Hornet, a 1/72 F-2A/B, and a 1/48 Apache...

full suitcases all the time

drPepper

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, how do the prices at UML compare to that of Lucky model or Hobbyeasy? I'll be dropping by Hong Kong soon. :woot.gif:

Ben

If you ever get lost in HK...

This helps ..

http://www.centamap.com

Online map of HongKong used by locals too.. My advice is locate the shop and have a print out and pilot your way to there from the nearest MTR station

Happy shopping ...

Btw.. I am residing in HongKong.. if you need any more information, I can help.. Latest stock is the 1/48 Tomcat in VF-84 markings.. hope you fancy that...

What Robert said was right, prepared to carry along your overseas passport during trips to UML as they offer 10% for tourist.

• 1 year later...
>>>UML does have another small store in Windsor House plaza on the Island (Causeway Bay), but they don't carry plastic kit aircraft anymore - only cars and Gundam robots.

In reference to the above concerning the UML store in Causeway Bay. I went there last week knowing that I had read the above post. While I was in the store, I was too stupid to asked the staff what happened to the "real" models. :coolio: After I have gotten home, I went to the UML site and here is what I found:

The branch shop in Causeway Bay is divided into 2 locations; one remains in the current location at the In Square, specialized in trendy toys and collectible products, while the new shop is situated in a prime location - the Continental Diamond Plaza next to Sogo, devoted exclusively to model makers. This new shop is a veritable treasure chest of model kits, accessories, books and tools, and indeed it is the largest hobby sanctuary on the whole of Hong Kong Island!

According to the description, the new store could be just around the corner since I noticed a Sogo store near by. Hope this helps the next person who goes that way.

Yuk

Just came back from HK and found out that the UML store at Causeway Bay is now across that very busy Hennessy? St. The actual entrance is on a side street with the store separated into 3 levels just like their Mon Kok store. With your back toward Sogo department store and facing Hennessy, cross Hennessy and then turn left toward McDonalds. Stay on the sidewalk and then make a right turn at the corner, the store entrance is just a little ways down. Again, it is almost located on a side street just like the Mon Kok store. HTH

One more thing, if you go to this site http://battleshiprow.tripod.com/HSISP/HK.htm there is a Concorde Hobby Shop lower on the page. Across the street from this shop just a little ways down, there is a new model shop right by the bus stops.

Yuk

Edited by Yuk Kui Ng
  • 1 year later...

I'm planning on going to HK in early May.

I have a few kits that I know I'm going to buy....

A boat load of 1/48 Kinetic vipers

A couple of 1/32 Trump kits

One or two hase/tamiya and academy kits...

The question is where do I go to get them?

LM is the obvious place...but they don't have a few of the Tamiya kits I want...and they're quite far away in the NT....

Suggestions? Advice?

• 4 years later...

Kinetic VIpers are abundant in a store called Continential Models.

1/32 Trump kits , got to depend which kit you zeroing at...

I still in HKG, drop me a line on what you need and I see what I can help

Hi,

I'll be in HK next January, how accurate is the IPMS Hawaii map and info (there's no date on the site , at least I couldn't find one..)

Thanks

Harald