162916 Has Arrived At Her New Home

It was on hold for the longest time to eventually go to the Naval Academy, but I guess there were some transportation issues in getting it there that could never be worked out, so this ended up being Option B.

It's funny--by complete chance, this Tomcat's my current desktop wallpaper.

Daniel

The delivery of 162916 yesterday ended a four year quest for a Tomcat. We lost one over a year ago because of a glitch in the paperwork. Then we were informed we could have 162916 because the USNA had passed on it in favor of a Blue Angel Hornet. Then we were informed we needed $20K for transportation 10K more than we budgeted for. The local community and post raised the required funds in no time. I must say, Helen Watson at Pensacola has been outstanding through the entire process. Good friend and post member Gary Kopp stayed with the project long after I gave up all hope of obtaining a Tomcat. As for transportation, it was supposed to be here January 8th. Then there were issues with the permits. Va and MD only allowed it to move at night, PA only during the daylight hours. Then there were weather related issues with MD not allowing it to pass due to a storm a week or so ago. Then there was the bonding issue with PA not allowing it to move because the trucking company was not bonded in PA. We hired a different company. The load reached the PA line yesterday morning where the State Police conducted a MISAP inspection. Something I used to do years ago. They discovered the trailer brakes were out of adjustment and one wheel and tire rubbed the steering box when turned hard over. These adjustments were made on the scene and the rest is history. The wings and stabs arrive this morning with a crane and we hope to have her assembled by sunset. The paint scheme will change over my dead body. Once a Gypsy...Always A Gypsy! We hope arrange a VFA-32 Flypast for the dedication or Memorial Day or Veterans Day, whenever they are availabe.

162916 Forever Baby!

Edited by Sig Saur & Son

Sorry it has taken this long to get these images to you. I just spent a very chilly weekend camping with the Scout Troop. Anyway, I was on hand bright and early Friday morning to capture the lift and placement of 162916. Despite the chilly temps, with wind chills around zero, the all volunteer crew lifted, placed and reassembled 162916 in record time. BRAVO-ZULU.

Tomcats Forever Baby!

VFW-Parking-Lot-pb.jpg

Wing-pb.jpg

Hook1-pb.jpg

Hook-pb.jpg

lift-1pb.jpg

Lift-2pb.jpg

Lift-3pb.jpg

Lift-4pb.jpg

Lift-5pb.jpg

Edited by Sig Saur & Son

Even though I may never get to personally visit this museum ( I live in Okla.!!) You,Gary and all they guys that volunteered(sp?) to put this historic aircraft in a place that it will be taken care of,deserve a HUGE pat on the back..... and a big thanks from all of us F-14 lovers...

I must say that I wish I could have helped in some sort of way...

Tomcats Forever Baby!

Most definately!!! :worship:

Edited by Scot M

If anyone has any information or images concerning the service of 162916, I would appreciate hearing from you. So far, I know she served with VF-101, VF-142, VF-143, VF-103(maybe), VF-102 and finally with VF-32. Any details of her service would be appreciated.

Tomcats Forever Baby!

Dave