My last DOTR GB 190 completed.

3Done190-3.jpg

3Done190-4.jpg

3Done190.jpg

3Done190-1.jpg

Mr. Color lacquers, decals are a mixture of kit and Sky, oil wash, dusted with pastels. Seat belts and pitot are from Fine Molds.

Oh, and lots of Tamiya tape.

Edited by johnsan
...I like the seatbelts.

Daniel

me too :P Checkerboard cowl also came out nice. Whether using decals or paint, that is always hard to pull off as getting decals to fit the compound curves without wrinkling or masking successfully are both a pita.

Hi John,

Nice work on all three Wulfs. Did want to ask why you keep the decals to a minumum, a deliberate choise, a necessasity or did this Wulf for example had no stenciling (like keep off ailerons etc.) ?

Cheers

Jochem

It was a deliberate choice. I was working from 2 or 3 photos for each plane. None of the photos showed any apparent stenciling.

I considered applying stenciling and toning it down with an overcoat. Decided finally to keep it simple.

The kit's decal sheet has a decent supply of stencils and the sheet is very usable. I like doing the stickers. It's probably my favorite thing in building models.

Definitely a deliberate choice.

John

I agree with John, stencils supplied in 1/72, are normaly if you scale them up is way to big, so i also only use the fueltriangels, and other lager stencils, while al the lettering in a 1/72 would invisable.

John i think that this period og JG 1 is very interesting, with a lot of colorful markings, and i like your choises, I have a couble og JG1's in the making, do not know if they will meet the deadline.

cheers

JEs

If the stenciling shows up in a photo, I will generally add it. I might tone it down, but that depends on how prominent they are on the photo.

Jes, I too think this is an interesting period for JG 1. All of the builds I've done or have scheduled for the GB are of JG 1. Looking forward to seeing your remaining builds.

I also have deep interest in JG 54 and JG 77 and a passing interest in JG 3 and JG 5.

tchuss,

John

I too usually leave stenciling off my models. While I suspect the real reason is just laziness, the rationale I use is similar to what Jes suggested. During my active duty days, I was close to F-100s and F4Cs, Ds and Es all in SEA camo. The ejection triangles were about the only stenciling you would notice unless you were quite close. Several (many?) years later I saw an F4 model completely covered in stencil decals and it looked so unreal I swore never to make the same error myself.

• 7 months later...