hellcate question

Besides the cowl, the second biggest difference is the windscreen - rounded with internal armor on -3, flat with integral armor on -5.

The third certain difference are the aileron trim tabs - on a -3 left wing aileron there is a fixed tab and an adjustable one on the right wing, the -5 has both fixed and adjustable tabs on both ailerons.

hellcate -> ??? :cheers:

yeah yeah, i know. i keep having typos because my left index finger has a somewhat bulky bandage on it from cutting part of the tip off. no, not a modeling accident, though i have had plenty of those. this one was from cutting the skin off an apple for my 3 yr old, with SWMBO wagging her tongue about something unimportant, and I was distracted and, slip, there goes part of the finger tip. kinda sucks.

Trim tabs should be easy to deal with, a little filler and some sanding. The windscreen is a bit different, but if I get a vac canopy, that should take care of that difference right? I don't have a -3 windscreen to look at, but in the color profile of the hellcat that I want to do, I don't see any difference between the -3 and the -5 windscreen. any pics of the different windscreens?

For me the easiest way to distinguish in a hurry is the windscreen...because of the design requirement dragonlance described, it meant the framing at the top is totally different.

One of VF-17's very few -3's was a late one that had no cowl bumps, so that's always a possibility just to throw you for another loop....

...with SWMBO wagging her tongue about something unimportant, and I was distracted and, slip, there goes part of the finger tip.

Obviously she wasn't looking over shoulder when above was typed and/or she doesn't frequent this site like some better halves! :cheers:

Okay, windscreens...here are some right from the ARC gallery. First up is a -3, where the up-down framing in front of it goes about 3/4 of the way up, then hits a horizontal frame, above which is solid clear.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal6...6F_Chang/12.jpg

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal6...6F_Chang/19.jpg

Now a -5, (scroll down to the large pic before the two smaller pics at the bottom) where the up-down framing goes all the way to the top; gives the illusion of it being taller.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal5...sen/gal4977.htm

Andrew, thanks for those pics, the difference is much easier to see from that angle. I took a look at squadron, and the vac form canopy that they have is listed as a 3/5. Well now, clearly it cant be both! the canopies that they have listed for the old Otaki kits both look like -3 windscreens, even the one listed as a -5. so now im kind of in a pickle here, unless someone has a Hase -3 they would be willing trade for a Hase -5.

I built my several -3's from the Otaki kit. It is a good kit and IMHO has the proper winscreen. I built all my -5's from the Hasagawa kits with their proper -5 screen. Ilike the 1/48th, Otaki kits, not too shabby. Also the Otaki screen is one piece, no cutting out windows and looks good when completed, IMHO. Just a thought.

Bill

Now a -5, (scroll down to the large pic before the two smaller pics at the bottom) where the up-down framing goes all the way to the top; gives the illusion of it being taller.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal5...sen/gal4977.htm

HEY...!!! That's one clean looking F6F-5 Angel. A very nice build! I don't know why, but I'm loving that thing!!! :)

Randy

I haven't looked in the regular Hase -5 kit, but the -5N kit does have the small rear windows included since one of the kit marking options is for an early -5N that still had the windows. Its just the windscreen that I need. Maybe I will give Squadron a call and see if someone can tell me whether their canopy set has both the -3 and -5 windscreen. If not, I will just get the -3 for the Otaki kit and make it fit.

Edit: Just called Squadron and they confirmed that the 1/48 squadron canopy also has both the -3 and the -5 windscreen. Thanks guys!

Edited by jrallman