Su-30MKI's prove superior to French Mirages

Time of India Article

Su-30s spring a surprise on the French

Jayanta Gupta

KALAIKUNDA: The performance of the Indian Air Force's Su-30 MKIs have taken the French by surprise at Kalaikunda where the two forces are presently engaged in joint exercises. Even Air Marshal Patrick de Rousiers, commander in chief, air defence and air operations command, French Air Force, admitted that he was itching for a chance to get into the Sukhoi's cockpit.

"There are few aircraft in the West equipped with thrust vectors like the Sukhois. No wonder, the French were impressed. Even during the exercises, the Su-30s proved to be much superior to their aircraft," a senior IAF officer said.

Air Marshal P K Barbora, senior air staff officer, Eastern Air Command, however, maintained that the purpose of the exercise is not to assess each others assets. "We are mixing the aircraft during every sortie. There are some Indian and some French aircraft in each group. This exercise is basically about co-operation. This time, our controllers were allowed inside the French AWACS and our pilots received guidance. This was extremely important as our own AWACS will start arriving by 2008. Hopefully, they will be more advanced than the French ones," he said.

Such exercises, according to him, are not offence co-operations but defence ones. "In today's world, there are certain interests beyond the country's borders which will have to be protected. This is where our interests meet and the need for co-operation comes in," Barbora added.

According to Rousiers, both forces have conducted joint operations over Lebanon, Congo and Sierra Leone. "Joint operations are not only about delivery of weapons. There are other issues involved like transportation and evacuation. That is why it is important to work together. Both sides learn different tactics from each other which are valuable," he said.

Neither Barbora nor Rousiers would talk on whether both forces were actually preparing for joint operations involving air strikes. However, the exercises have been planned keeping real life scenarios in mind. "This is for the governments to decide," they said.

For the 150-odd Frenchmen and women, it was not all work and no play. Apart from the entertainment provided at the air force base itself, the visitors took a trip to Kolkata during the weekend. Some of the officers and men have participated in strikes against the Taliban in Afghanistan but Kolkata was an altogether different experience.

"Traffic in Kolkata is scary. Pedestrians are constantly moving in front of vehicles. Pollution levels are also extremely high. We visited Victoria Memorial, a large temple and Mother House. However, we were impressed by the manner in which even the very poor manage to survive alongside the rich. In Paris, a proper meal starts at Rs 700. In Kolkata, people can eat for a meagre Rs 20. We were also impressed by how people from so many religions live together. We avoided Bengali food due to the spices but did not miss out on the dessert. We also packed K C Das Rosogollah tins for our family members," they said.

Count me in.

I guess we went with Mirage (yup it's in the title -_-). No comparison with a thrust vector powered jet like the Su-30. :thumbsup:

I'd said, fortunately the Su-30 beat up our Mirage or IAF would be disappointed.

Not saying the plane makes it all, but it's an obvious advantage.

Edited by Platypus
I'm surprised the French were surprised...
That makes two of us... :doh:
three :angry:

I'm surprised that people are surprised at the French Air Force's surprise. This event should have been of no surprise to anyone, but surprisingly, this topic hasn't fallen into the usual "X vs. Y" p!$$!ng contest that - surprise! surprise! - displeases the Mods. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone turns it that way and the thread gets locked down.

But I wouldn't be surprised if someone turns it that way and the thread gets locked down.

Which on the other hand wouldn't surprise me...

But hey, let's enjoy this as long as the thread is still open!

:cheers:

:cheers: I've got to start watching more foreign films.

I've actually seen the movie sitting on shelves at Blockbuster. The movie is called Les Chevaliers du ciel (according to IMDB), but the English title is Sky Fighters. Her name is Alice Taglioni and she plays Lieutenant Estelle 'Pitbull' Kass (also according to IMDB) I haven't watched it because it looks like it maybe another TopGun/Iron Eagle type movie (don't really like either), which begs the question:

Why the hell do we get Tom Cruise in TopGun, or the punk kid in Iron Eagle, while the French get Alice Taglioni? :rofl:

I'm surprised that people are surprised at the French Air Force's surprise. This event should have been of no surprise to anyone, but surprisingly, this topic hasn't fallen into the usual "X vs. Y" p!$$!ng contest that - surprise! surprise! - displeases the Mods. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone turns it that way and the thread gets locked down.

You win the prize, sir. I said prize, sir, prize. Sir. Prize! :cheers:

:rofl: I dont want to turn this into a "our pilot is better lookin' than yours" type thread but I'm wondering if we'll ever see a couple of sultry Bollywood actresses climbing out of an Su-30MKI alongside Alice climbing out of her Mirage 2000 in some Indian fighter pilot movie.

:cheers:,

Ross.