Quick one,

Just wanna know if i must keep the mask/blue tac on when doing 3 tone camo i.e after i spray the lightest colour mask off next colour then spray then mask of 3rd colour and spray. At no time remove the 1st and 2nd colour masks right?

Kinda makes sense not to, but then you can't see how the camo has come out/is progressing until you finish all 3 colours and remove the masks/blue tac :thumbsup: Right?

Cheers

Kevin

It really depends on the pattern of the camouflage and how carefully you can spray.

If I were doing a 3-color USN mid war scheme, I probably would not mask at all unless I needed a sharp demarkation anywhere. If I were doing a RAF 3-color scheme with the lightest color on the bottom I would paint the underside color first making sure I overlapped into the the areas that would have the topside colors. Then I would mask off the undersides, or at least the demarkation on the fuselage sides where the top colors meet the underside color and paint the lighter of the two topside colors over the entire upper surface. Once that was dry, I would again mask the pattern necessary for the third color and spray it and only remove themasking when it is all painted. If it were a Luftwaffe splinter pattern, I would only mask where a sharp edge or demarkation is needed and freehand everything else. You have to match the painting and masking technique to both your abilities and the camo pattern being replicated.

I'd leave the masking on until I get to the last color just like you suggest. If I then want a less sharp edge to the color demarkation I heavily thin the darker color and lightly airbrush the edges of the camo. and then do the same with the next darker color.

I'd leave the masking on until I get to the last color just like you suggest. If I then want a less sharp edge to the color demarkation I heavily thin the darker color and lightly airbrush the edges of the camo. and then do the same with the next darker color.

I assume you do this AFTER the mask is removed right?

G'Day Kev. I've only ever done hard-edged cam patterns ('cos I absolutely suck at feathered edges & free-hand spraying). So, when I mask (with Tamiya tape, sometimes with paper,too), the masking medium always stays in place till ALL of the spraying has been done.

I do the light colours first (usually the belly) then mask, then the lighter cam colour and mask, and finally the darker cam colour. When I did D-Day stripes, I did the Beaufighter an all-over white (primer, fault-finder and stripes), masked-off the white stripes with tape, then sprayed the black stripes and masked them too. Then I proceeded with the blue belly etc.

George, out.....................