Aircraft equivalent of the "Yugo"?

The Grumman F11F and the A12. The other one would be the A380.

Well, the killer Dorito never flew and the F11F was used by the Blue Angels for MANY years successfully, even after the planes were out of the fleet. Sounds like a pretty good design to me. As for the A380, I admit the program seems to have its problems that are ultimately related to the Airbus consortium's convoluted production system, but it is too soon to call the aircraft a failure.

I also agree that the Russian WW2 fighter designs such as the Yak 3 thru 9 series and some others were VERY good. Those YAKS could be tought planes to hit due to their size and they had a cannon punch equivalent to a German Bf-109.

As for a another candidate, how about....

The T-37 TWEET? :angry:

For this, I think we need a hand grenade smiley.

Edited by Jay Chladek

heh this Yugo-bashing thing is a bit weird to me...

Yeah, I lived in the once great country of Yugoslavia... When Yugo came out to the market, it was like a revolution: modern design, affordable price, what more did you want? It may sound silly now but considering the fact, that foreign cars were back then affordable only to the few, everyone was happy with it... you could service it in any autorepair shop since they mostly had only Yugo parts, so there was no real spares shortage... And it kept on driving... Things changed in the early '90s and today I seldom see a Yugo on the road... It was a good car for its price in Yugoslavia, but marketing it outside was a bit funny to my opinion :cheers:

oh and Zastava still produces Yugos; probably only for Serbian/Montenegran market now :)

May I present, for your consideration as the Yugo of the Skies - the Dassault Mercure!

Dassault_Mercure.JPG

What can you say about an airliner which, with max payload, needed to be refuelled every 400 miles, was built at huge expense to the French taxpayer but was (much) less advanced than the B-737, and even Air France and SABENA refused to buy?!

Cheers,

Chris.

You don't think that's reason enough? Been more than enough to count me out of stuff.... :thumbsup:

No, actually I don't!

One could argue that the A-10's fugly, doesn't seem to keep it from being popular.

For cars, the Enzo isn't exactly Pininfarinas finest creation.

:D

QUOTE(Randy Wise @ Feb 24 2007, 01:07 AM)

The F-20 Tigershark.

Ouch! An outstanding aircraft which only suffered from a lack of customers, not due to its quality!

Hey Andrew,

Whose to say that the Yugo wasn't an outstanding automobile that suffered from a lack of customers? :thumbsup:

Randy

Hey Andrew,

Whose to say that the Yugo wasn't an outstanding automobile that suffered from a lack of customers? <_<

Randy

Oh, it had plenty of customers at first! Many who were humiliated by my brother any time they had the misfortune to drive/park near him. Also notice they soon got rid of them...QUICKLY!

No, actually I don't!

One could argue that the A-10's fugly, doesn't seem to keep it from being popular.

For cars, the Enzo isn't exactly Pininfarinas finest creation.

<_<

Remember this song? Think they did it on the Muppets YEARS ago...

"I'm ugly, I'm ugly as sin,

'cause beautiful's out, ugly's in.

If you're ugly like me, you're in good company,

'cause there's millions of us who'll agree!"

:(

I forgot the Mercure. The Mercure was a bad airplane that was only built because of the government forcing it through. Air Inter was the only airline that bought it because they were forced to.

Then we must also mention the FORD "Mercure"...... :cheers:

My list of lemons...

Short SB.6 Seamew (1953).....youch

Blackburn A.D. Scout (Sparrow 1915)....what the Hell were they thinking ,even back then ?

Curtiss SO3C Seamew (1939)... ended up used for target drones

Plenty more no doubt

Paul T

How about the plane in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. I forget what it is called except that it was an Aussie agricultural aircraft, and I even remember even seeing in one of the books from the 80's artwork of it carrying ASuW and ASW weapons marketed as a coastal patrol aircraft - fugly

Help me out what was it called!

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts
Must've been a damned good reason that I'm not overly familiar with any of those, Paul! (vague knowledge of the last one) :P

Andrew ,

I bought a small hardcover book called " The World`s Worst Aircraft" .It lists planes that were design failures, financial disasters ,coffins with wings and just plain BUTT UGLY... :)

It`s a nice little read and cost me just a few "knicker".Kinda like the AMC "Pacer" of the airworld......or as in this case...........YUGO ;)

My brother, some years ago ,drove a Pacer.It was like being a goldfish on parade,for all the world to see and be laughed at.Not good for one`s self esteem ,but great if your goal in life was to be forever a VIRGIN :rofl:

He later hit a cinder block on the road and trashed the car.I think he got laid soon afterward :cheers:

Paul T