What are the external differences of F-4B/N and F-4J?

Hi all!

Once again I am back with a question about aircrafts differences

and again the aircraft is one served in the US NAVY.

I recently trade a kit I had for the Hasegawa 1/48 F-4B/N Sundowners

that I want to convert to F-4J and paint it in the colours of VF-84 Jolly Rogers.

Can you tell me what are the external only differences of the B/N with the J.

I do not really care for the cockpit because the canopy will be closed.

Links and/or pictures are more than welcome :cheers:

Once again I thank you for your time and help!

The main difference is that the B/N had narrow main tires and a flat upper wing and gear doors. The -J had wider tires that required a bulge in the upper wing skin, as well as a bulge that ran across the MLG doora and into the forward part of the speedbrake wells. Usually, the thin wing VS thick wing issue kills trying to convert one model into the other for most people. Also, the -B originally had non-slotted stabilizers, and the -J all had slotted stabs, but many -Bs were retrofitted with the slotted stabs, or got them when converted into -Ns. In addition, the engine exhausts are different, and the -J has a smooth nose without the underside IR fairing on the -B/N.

Honestly, you may be better off trading your B/N to someone for the -J kit. Aside from saving the hassle of conversion, the newer releases of the -J have recessed panel lines, as well as a correct rear cockpit.

Or, if you just want to model a Jolly Rogers phantom, they also flew the B and the N. But they are very different airframes, wingwise.

I know they flew the B and N but I want to make the J because i think

its paint scheme is much more amazing than the B and N.

The full black rudder and the skull are great!

I hope that if I do not find someone to trade my kit I will not destry it

in my attempt to change it.

Edited by mirrage

Hey Mirrage,

That is a very difficult conversion. You should trade the F-4B for a F-4J. Both Hasagawa kits, but of course the F-4J is fully scribed and perfectly done. If I could help you with that trade, please let me know. Just trying to help.

Chuck

Edited by otis252

Well, the N's had the same markings, unless you closely count the number of yellow chevrons on the fuselage band....and the B's were repainted upon return from their Vietnam cruise in pretty much the same scheme as the J's, except for the stars on the tail.

Although, I certainly agree that the J's just look meaner and tougher, generally speaking, regardless of squadron. Love those J's and S's.

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Me likey J nosey, short and clean (of chin gun, cameras and such) :)

But I have one serious question about J model - those two symetrical uderwing 'doors' that are on Hase 1/48 F-4J moulded with wing undersurface in open position (showing nothing inside):

1. what this doos use for?

2. Please, tell me that that doors CAN be clesed on ground :)

All the best!

Marko

Me likey J nosey, short and clean (of chin gun, cameras and such) :)

But I have one serious question about J model - those two symetrical uderwing 'doors' that are on Hase 1/48 F-4J moulded with wing undersurface in open position (showing nothing inside):

1. what this doos use for?

2. Please, tell me that that doors CAN be clesed on ground :)

All the best!

Marko

Those are auxillary inlet doors, when the aircraft is not moving, or moving at a slow airspeed, those doors open to allow more air to reach the engines. When the aircraft is powered down and hydralic pressure has bled off, those doors will be open, to one degree or another, the speedbrakes will drop open and the ailerons will droop.

And, the B and J have different fincaps, and the burner cans are longer on the J.

Edited by silverkite211

In fact Otis252 you were 2nd and kstater94 3rd :crying:

I had a pm yesterday from another member.

A trade is the best I can do but I leave in Greece

and any trade with foreigners is difficult for both sides.

Edited by mirrage
I recently trade a kit I had for the Hasegawa 1/48 F-4B/N Sundowners

that I want to convert to F-4J

Wow, you are projecting something of unusual!

Usually (as made by me with the F-4H1 prototype) I have seen the modellers to start from the F-4J and to backdate it at the F-4B's standard to take advantage of the engraved panel lines on the F-4J.

To level/sand off the large tyres bulges on the up & low of the F-4J's wings is a relatively simple task. I can't imagine to made the bulges. It's possible, but doing this You will destroy all the raised panel lines (or you will run seriously this risk of to do do this mistake).

Those are auxillary inlet doors, when the aircraft is not moving, or moving at a slow airspeed, those doors open to allow more air to reach the engines. When the aircraft is powered down and hydralic pressure has bled off, those doors will be open, to one degree or another, the speedbrakes will drop open and the ailerons will droop.

Close, but not exactly....

The Aux Air Doors provide cooling air to the engine compartment (not into the engine). Air enters the doors and exits at the vents just above the start of the exhaust cans. They open anytime the gear handle (gear HANDLE) is put down..so...they will ALWAYS be open on the ground....and airborne while the gear is down. Yes, with hydraulic power off the airplane, you can push them closed and they will eventually sag.

The doors will close when the gear handle is raised after takeoff, and remain closed until there's an engine compartment overpressure (they will then crack open to relieve the pressure).

Gene K

Thank you for explanation about that under-wing inlet doors. I will most likely cut out molded ones and make thinner ones from plastic.

That's very easy to do with two pieces of sheet plastic, a larger thin and smaller thick.

- and there are many reference on line, like right here at ARC walkaround .

It's pretty dark up there, especially in 1/72, so if you don't have AMS, you may not want to worry too much about internal detail.

Gene K