Airliner modelling - Newbie tips please

Hi all,

I'm having a small foray into airliner modelling as I want to build a couple of the aircraft that operate from my local airport - Bristol, in the UK.

I've made a start on the Revell Airbus A319 for which I've filled the windows and assembled the fuselage.

I intend to get an easyJet decal sheet for it.

My main question is ... do most people leave the recessed panel lines or fill them? Would you fill all of them if you were to do it - or leave things like the doors alone. What about the wings and horizontal tails -and the control surfaces?

I think I'm going to paint over the clear windshield too - is it best to do this black, or a shade of dark grey - or use a decal?

Apologies for the long stream of questions - I'm just a little inquisitive :cheers:

I really want to get a nice result from this kit too so any further tips for a 1/48 jet modeller "having a go" would be most appreciated.

TIA

Phil.

Hi Phil! Welcome to the wonderful world of airline modeling. You picked a good subject to start with.

Hi all,

My main question is ... do most people leave the recessed panel lines or fill them? Would you fill all of them if you were to do it - or leave things like the doors alone. What about the wings and horizontal tails -and the control surfaces?

You will find that there is no general agreement on this question. My preference is to fill in the engraved panel lines or sand off raised panel lines in 1/144 scale kits. In the 1:1 world, you just can't see this detail on the prototype at the appropriate scale distance. With that said, though, I do frequently leave in the control surfaces. I remove the door scribing as it never seems to match up with after market decals.

I think I'm going to paint over the clear windshield too - is it best to do this black, or a shade of dark grey - or use a decal?

I would recomend using a decal for the windshield. This looks reasonable in 1/144.

Apologies for the long stream of questions - I'm just a little inquisitive B)

I really want to get a nice result from this kit too so any further tips for a 1/48 jet modeller "having a go" would be most appreciated.

Have fun!!! :)

Mike

I wouldn't fill the windows... instead, paint the interior black, with a black strip behind the windows from some plasticard. When all assembled, fill the windows with PVA on a cocktail stick. They don't look so flat this way! Try it on your next project! The Revell decals from the A319 are wonderful, they fit perfectly. Also, this particular kit includes silver rings for the windows. These also have clear patches to go over the windows, which look much better! Properly Kleared in, these decals are great. Revell are bringing out a BMI livery version of the kit soon aswell. I don't know if you get the Germanwings ones in Brisol, and I know that the BA ones are all at Heathrow (I think there is one going over now...It's cirtainly and Airbus!)

I've tried the decal for the windshield on a Minicraft MD-80 that I got glue on the canopy by accident... doesn't look as good as others with clear windshields.

The A319 is known to have varied pannel lines, unlike Revell's other A320 family aircraft. It's a pitty, as the rest of it is good. I left mine as is, because I like to weather my planes, and dirt gets stuck in the pannel lines!

You can see them from a way off, I can see the dirt on the Virgin A340-600s that come over really low on takeoff....

Edit: Bet you're really confused now...

Edited by vc-10

Many thanks for the tips, chaps.

Using the easyJet decals as they're the most common type at BRS - We get some of the newest ones based here so they look very clean indeed.

I think the sheet has window and windsheild decals.

May then do a Ryanair 737-800 - we'll see how this first one goes.

Edited by Phil_J

Phil, :D

Fyi, here is an earlier thread about this kit and the few corrections needed on the wings.

Where are you getting the easyJet decal from? Are you starting with a B737 decal? I too have an easyjet A319 on my "to-do" list as I somethimes fly on these from Geneva to Bournemouth.

Edit:

Just did a search and found the TwoSix sheet, so I assume it's this one?

Roy

Edited by buzz

Hello VC-10

Air Malta has 2 A320 based in England, one in BRS and one in BHX. It's a wet-lease contract for Excel Airways at least till October 2008. The (now old) Excel logo was added on the fuselage last year.

Destinations include Greek islands, Egypt and Spain (also Canary Islands). The pilots are English, Australian, Spanish, French, Dutch,...and I'm a Belgian mercenary :cheers:

Anyway, I still want to know who makes decals for an Air Malta A320 in 1/144..... :)

Regards,

Guillaume