Hi!

Sort of „longtime time ago I had an idea“ project finally finished. I had the idea to make a model fly about 5-7 years ago. When Revell came up with the Magic flight series, I came back to the project, and started to work on my own magic flight Rafale. Until know I have never seen a Revell magic flight box from inside, so all you can see here is my own inspiration.

This picture is NOT Photoshopped!

Pic2.jpg

What I knew was the need for very strong magnets. I found them via www.supermagnete.ch . This could be a hobby, too… Unfortunately even the strongest one is not able to lift the model very high. In future I will try to combine several magnets on a plate. But as they are very strong, it’s difficult to arrange them.

A warning here for modelers who want to try this them selves:

These magnets are so strong, if they are close together (30cm!!!) they come together in a blink of an eye. The force is huge, makes the magnets to splitter. And: if you have your hand or a finger in between, say goodbye to him for the next several weeks! Plan 1-2h of hard muscle work if you want to separate them after (I speak from experience!)

Placed next to anything containing data like Credit Cards, Hard disks, etc. will FOR SURE delete what you have stored!

The most difficult part was getting the model stable over the magnet. Took my over 3h to accomplish. … I have only 2 hands, 4 would be great!

About the model: Revell has some VERY nice 1:144 models in stock now, the Rafale was the one I choose out of curiosity. To build an in-flight model, I had to scratch build a pilot. Not happy with the supplied decals (inaccurate prototypes) I decided to draw them myself. This brought my up with the idea to sell them myself. The shop Skyraider Model Designs www.smds.ws is the answer to this. More interesting products can be found there. Thanks for visit!

For now all I can say is:

- Prototype for an in-flight model achieved.

- Hungry for more (1:72 scale!)

- I will closely follow that 1:144 market. There are VERY COOL models available!

Enjoy the pictures!

skyraider

Pic1.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic7.jpg

Pic4.jpg

Pic9.jpg

Hmmmmm! Very Cool!

I wonder if it would be possible to do this with electromagnets instead of permanent magnets. This would simplify the process of arranging the magnets since there would be no field until you flip the switch to apply current. An electromagnet would also be more scaleable for larger models, higher altitude, etc.

Seriously ever since I saw the Revell Magic flight products, I wanted to try something like that for quite some time. I didn't expect someone to actually achieve it!

Now if I can put up 6 Blue Impluse...

Excellent work, that looks fabulous!

You mention magnets were used, but I also see some fine wire keeping the model up. Is it a combination of magnets and wire? Or is the wire there just to hold it in place?

The "wire" = fishing line, very thin is there to keep the model in position. That's all!

Hmmmmm! Very Cool!

I wonder if it would be possible to do this with electromagnets instead of permanent magnets. This would simplify the process of arranging the magnets since there would be no field until you flip the switch to apply current. An electromagnet would also be more scaleable for larger models, higher altitude, etc.

I was thinking about this, and I'm still discussing with an electro ingeneer in our club. I let you know the progress... with an 1:24 Mustang !?? :cheers: ... hope so!

skyraider (not too seriouse, but not far away, either)

• 4 months later...