AW Siskin Profile

Firmly believing that you can never have too many projects up in the air at once, I started a profile of the Armstrong Whitworth Siskin, which will probably run to a couple of different versions. I like Golden Era aircraft and was always taken with the 1/72 scale Matchbox kit, so....

This is the first vector version, done in Corel Draw. No engine yet, because I hadn't gotten enough info on the AW Jaguar Mk IV yet. I knew that motor would be a bear to draw with all those valves, fins and pushrods.

Siskin_prelim.jpg

Checking photos made it clear that the 3 view had some details wrong, so the drawing was revised and added onto.

Siskin_1.jpg

Couldn't avoid the motor any longer, so building comenced.

AW-Jaguar-IV.jpg

The motor took about 3 times as long as the airframe to complete, but I finally arrived at a version that I could live with (simplified, but pretty representative of the real thing).

Jaguar_done.jpg

Here's the completed Siskin IIIA:

Siskin_done.jpg

Here's the IIIDC trainer version:

Siskin_IIIDC.jpg

Now I've gotta paint something.

Edited by felixdk

I started the painting with the 2 seater. It's going to be in the colors of No. 56 Squadron RAF.

Siskin_IIIDC_first_color-.jpg

The Amarillo font that the USAF uses was as close a match as I could find for the serial numbers, but I'll have to modify it a little.

The motor is going to be a bear to paint while retaining the detail that took so long to draw :yahoo:

The motor is almost done and the rest of the aircraft should be a breeze compared to this mechanical jungle :woot.gif: . There's still a thousand little shadows to add and the bronzish looking exhaust collectors that the British seemed to favor.

motor-and-prop.jpg

Dogsbody,

I've got 2 more Siskin IIIAs in the pipeline. One is a No. 43 Squadron RAF machine (black and white checks) and the other is an RCAF IIIA flown by Capt. John Alcock (of transatlantic flight fame). I've made a little more progress on the III DC.

Siskin_IIIDC_3_9_07.jpg

Edited by felixdk
  • 4 weeks later...

dogsbody,

I have the Data Plan booklet, but thanks for the other reference, it's one that I hadn't seen. I haven't been near this profile in a couple of weeks, but will be back at it this week.