Russian jets 48th scale

For Su-27 kits you can't go wrong reading Kens' superb run-down:

http://www.flankerman.fsnet.co.uk/su27surv.htm

Below is a list of the one's I have either built or which I have in the stash.

I've built the MiniHobby Su-27UB kit and I enjoyed it.

Mig-29 - Academy (but has fit issues)

Mig-23 - Italeri (ESCI re-box, not too good apparantly)

Mig-21 - Academy (though I like the OEZ/Kopro kit)

Su-22 - Mastercraft / Kopro

Su-25 OEZ (a bit tricky in places, but a superb model in terms of weapons and shape.)

That's about all I can help with. Have fun.

Edited by Cloggy

For Mig-25s your only luck is Revell or Lindberg...never seen a Lindberg, but I hear it is BAD. The Revell one is probably not much better...it needs alot of love, but can ultimately endup looking nice (I hope at least since I have 1 in progress and 5 more in the stash)

For a Mig-31, Lindberg is your only choice...I have two...haven't check them versus drawings yet, but it'll probably be a bear....

I'll let other guys speak to other aircraft.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by parche

Seems like there was a thread on this a while back, but here's some kits that weren't in the above posts:

Hitkit makes a vacuform Su-15 Flagon

Trumpeter makes a few different Su-15 Flagons

Monogram makes a MiG-29 and Su-25

Esci/Hobbycraft/ERTL/Italeri all make/made the same MiG-23/27 kit(s)

(Italeri I don't think makes the 27, just the 23)

Parche was right on the Foxbat/Foxhound

Academy, Revell each make MiG-21s. Academy's are WAAAAAY better.

Collect-Aire makes an Su-24

OEZ makes Su-7, Su-22, and Su-25

JB

The Fujimi MiG-21 kits were 1/72 IIRC, not 1/48.

For 1/48, you have the old Revell MiG-21PF, the newer Academy MiG-21PF and MiG-21MF (actually a -bis), and the OEZ MiG-21 MF/bis/SMT, which was reboxed by ESCI

Also, OEZ did an SU-7, which was also reboxed by ECSI

Monogram also did a Su-25, but it was really one of the T-8 pre-production machines.

The KP Su-22/Su-17 was available in M3 and M4 boxings.

Trumpeter and Tamiya do MiG-15bis. SMER? did a MiG-17, which was also reboxed by Airfix. Trumpeter and HiPM do MiG-19s. ESCI did the MiG-23 and MiG-27, with the -23 reboxed by Italeri, and both copied by Hobbycraft. For the MiG-25, Revell did one as did Lindberg, but that one is best avoided. Lindberg also did a MiG-31, which is also best not mentioned.

Dave - thanks for that about the Fujimi Mig, I have edited my post accordingly; I did of course mean Academy.

Meanwhile, I think Kitech do a Mig-17 while Kopro also do a Su-7, Su-25UBK.

Edited by Cloggy

Hi!..for Mig-15 the real good options are Trumpeter and Tamiya (I prefer Tamiya plastic quality). For MiG-21 you have Academy and ESCI/OEZ/KP (they´re the same); for a -23 Flogger you have, till now, the old ESCI/Italeri one (although it seems that Eduard will release an entire new mold Flogger!!!); MiG-25, the only game in town is the old Revell one, wich is so and so; MiG-29 Monogram and Academy, the latter is by far,better; for a MiG-27 ESCI/Hobbycraft....for a -31 Lindberg...

Sukhoi family: SU-7 ESCI/OEZ, SU-22 OEZ/KP; SU-27 Academy (the best one) and the very good one of Minihobbiemodels, in third place Hobbycraft one (although with nice decals)..SU-25 Forgfoot the OEZ/KP one is the best, the Monogram one was based on a prototype.... :cheers:

(smart *** remark removed - sorry.)

As far as MiG25 - Revel and Linberg are the same kit, but the Revell one has superb decals right out of the box. Zmey Smirnof made a superb Revell MIG 25 in 1/48. I think he posted pics here in ARC. I've seen it up close and he did a wonderful job.

The Lindberg MiG31 is the only game in town, eventhough it's real innacurate. Still Armin Knes made a real nice looking one, Here's the ARC gallery pictures..

The Su25 from OEZ is the closest to a production bird. It requires a lot of elbow grease but some people have actually made a decent model of it. Again, Zmey made a great kit of it, pictures are also some place here in ARC.

Rumors of a 1/48 Su24 from Trumpeter have not yielded a kit yet, but it might just happen.

My $0.02

Shark

Edited by Shark
... (although it seems that Eduard will release an entire new mold Flogger!!!) ...

Where'd this come from? Proof, I need proof! (I don't suppose a U, UM, or UB is in the works too? :thumbsup: )

BTW, Trumpeter also makes a MiG-15UTI - the two seater.

Where'd this come from? Proof, I need proof!

I believe what he meant to say is the Eduard is going to release a MiG-21 Fishbed series in 1/48, not a Flogger series. From the Eduard Jan. newsletter:

"The 1/48th scale MiG-21 family is a project running parallel with the Bf 109E. This is the most ambitious Eduard project still in the planning stage, and I expect the design phase will be completed in late summer, this year. Concerning the engineering of the kit, we are taking this one much further than the Mirage IIIC. For example, look at the jets themselves. There will be much more detailing, many more weapons, and, of course, many more versions of the kit. We plan to do the second and third generation aircraft, which means that you will get the MiG-21PF and PFM with their sub-variants from the second generation, and the MiG-21MF, bis, SMT and R, and their subvariants from the third generation. It is also possible, that we will finally decide to do the MiG-21F of the first generation of this famous jet."

As of yet no one's taken up the gauntlet to produce a new tool MiG-23 series, though I hope to see one in my lifetime. The Eduard MiG-21 series though I'm definitely looking forward to.

Edited by David Walker
Yes, i ment MiG-21 not Floggers -23 in my previous post...plese, forgive me.... B)

Yeah, that was about on par with shouting "eclairs!" at a crowded Weight Watchers meeting.... ;)

(P.S. Not trying to be cruel there; I've gained 'WAY too much in the past year, so I can maybe talk....)

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Well if we're adding Yaks to the party- Wings48 makes(Made) a vacuform Yak-38 Forger (Though in the kit they call it the Yak-36 Forger). It's pretty basic, with some metal parts, but the decal sheet is pretty good.

I haven't built mine yet, but I have replaced the horrible metal AA-2s with some KP/OEZ AA-8s. I am still trying to find some fuel tanks that look right, otherwise I'll do the AA-8s and maybe some 100KG bombs.

JB

Edited by Josh1971

Well I´m not %100 sure, but Heller, Airfix and Smer are the same mould...Hobbycraft is of their own, very good indeed with superb decals (I have Airfix, Smer and HC)..

- MiG-23/S/M/MF/ML/MF/UB/BN and MiG-27/D/M/L/H/K "Flogger" family - to replace the old ESCI/Italeri/AMT items - a lot of camo schemes and air forces possible;

Boy, I wish someone would do that. That series is the one I'd really like to see in 1/48.

Yeah, well, major reform on this subject is needed in every scale, at every level. :)

I agree with Andrew.

Although 1:48 is not my scale - I am a follower of the One True Scale - I agree that we are poorly served when it comes to models of Soviet/Russian aircraft.

I know I keep banging on about - but the fact is that there is NOT ONE accurate kit of that most important of Russian fighters - the Flanker family. :)

Not one accurate kit - IN ANY SCALE. :beer4:

Ken

Well, I was just looking at my Academy 1/48 Su-27, and though I'm pleased I still have a pair of SOL R-77 missiles to add to it, I've taken so long to get to it, the decals now look like the floor of the desert. :banana:

Worse yet, I'm now more picky than I used to be, so I'm going to pop over to Ken's great page, and look up- GAH!- aftermarket stuff for it. The cockpit looks waaaaaaaaaaaay too simple. :doh:

JB

- MiG-23/S/M/MF/ML/MF/UB/BN and MiG-27/D/M/L/H/K "Flogger" family - to replace the old ESCI/Italeri/AMT items - a lot of camo schemes and air forces possible;

- MiG-25P/PU/R/RU/RB/RBS/RBSh/RBK/RBF/BM Foxbat

- MiG-31/BM Foxhound

Yep, a decent kit of the MiG-23/27 is way far too long over due! The Floggers are consistantly at the very top of polls for 1/48 aircraft. Has been like that for years and years. One kinda gets the feeling the manufactures have their heads stuck up their butts. Italeri of course has the wisdom to release the POS Esci Floggers and do so at the price of a new tooled kit. Smooth move Italeri (isn't that Italian for "crappy re-pops r us "?)...

And hell, there is just about every frickin' Nazi aircraft represented in kit form in 1/48 including lots that never left a drawing board let alone the ground. Now days so many 1/48 kits are more than 1/32 used to be. Increased in price not quality. A lot of Messerschitt (not a typo) if you ask me :doh:.

Robert- rantin' fool :banana:

Edited by ramcdaniel1