1/72 FAA Corsair Mk. I finished

I got the finishing touches on the Corsair done today. This is the 1/72 Tamiya (yuck!) kit with Eduard PE. I must say that it's a decent kit for Tamiya, but the panel lines are trenches and it's waaaaaaay overpriced. This was built for a customer - I'd never spend over twenty dollars for a 1/72 fighter with so few parts. The Eduard set does wonders for the kit. I also used Sky Models decals for the Fleet Air Arm markings. I used Model Master enamel Sky and Dark Slate Gray, along with Gunze Extra Dark Sea Gray, for the freehand camo.

This is the first 1/72 kit I've built in over ten years. It really wasn't as difficult or as small as I had anticipated.

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

Here's a pic of the cockpit before it was installed. I tried to get a good pic of it in the finished bird, but it's just too small.

001.jpg

Thanks for allowing me to share this build with you. :wacko:

That's a SUPERB JOB!! Excellent, my friend. I do like the FAA's Corsair. Lovely cockpit and detailed engine. I'd prefer a bit dirty. Anyway, congrats!!

Nicely done, Bill. It is refreshing to see a Corsair in British markings. Love the engine detail, and the cockpit, especially for 1/72 scale is superb. Congrats on another fine build.

:wacko:

Incredible as always Bill. That is GREAT art.

It is good that you said it is 1/72°, for me it looks like 1/48°.

Wonderful job Bill, Congratulations from Paul. :cheers:

Thank you very much aex, Mike, Jamie, Andrew, Paul, afterburner, Menden, and Steve !

aex - my customer wanted it clean, so that's how I built it. I prefer clean anyway, since you can't hide anything.

Mike - adding the PE brought it out of the "simple" category, and into the "moderately challenging" one. Eduard did a fantastic job on the detail.

Jamie - I found that adding PE in 1/72 was good exercise for skills that I take for granted when building 1/48. When I work on the 1/48 kits I've got "in progress," they seem huge.

Paul - if it's 1/48, then Model Master is bottling it's paints by the quart now (see the pic of the entire underside). That would save some money, especially in white. (mmmmm...Alcad by the quart !)

afterburner - it's like all their other kits - minimal seam filling. The only part that required work was where the bottom of the wing met the lower rear fuselage. The right inboard flap is a separate part. You need to fill and scribe the panel line to match the other side. The canopy is a little thick to pose open. I left it unglued so my customer has the option to show it closed, but remove it to see the cockpit detail.

Steve - I have a very nice camera - Canon PowerShot G5. I use all manual settings so I get what I want. I shoot in the RAW image mode (no, not naked. RAW is a file type), and the pics are about 11.5MB each. I resize and compress them with Photoshop.

Thanks again ! I have three more 1/72 builds for customers coming soon. I'm starting to like this scale, but I've got too many 1/48 kits to build for myself to switch scales now.

Thanks Su-34 and martin !

Su-34 - I use a Canon PowerShot G-5 camera. I use all manual settings (I dislike auto), and shoot in the RAW image mode. The white balance can be set to the particular lighting (it "reads" the light and makes adjustments), and I use an ISO equivalency (film speed - the camera's sensitivity to light) of 50. All these settings give me the highest quality original image, and I resize and compress the pics with Photoshop.

Thanks again !

This is the first 1/72 kit I've built in over ten years.

I was thinking I hadn't seen any 1/72 from you on display here before. Though to be honest, with that level of detail and the quality of the painting and photography, if you hadn't said it was 1/72 I would never have guessed. Amazing work.