They're still flying that? I grew up next to NAFEC, now the FAA Experimental Center in Pomona, NJ back in the sixties. I remember those planes, except they were a silver, orange, and I think black paint job back then. They also had a Convair 880/990, (a 707 wanna be that didn't make it commercially), and 2-3 DC-3s.

Clarence

The FAA had CV-880's at ACY SN#3 (scrapped cockpit intacted)

SN#10 (burned for testing of new materials in cabins)

SN#13 (going to be scrapped soon since Team Convair can afforded it)

As for the 880 being a 707 wanna-be. Not really the 880 was built as a short to medium range airplane for less than 100 paxs. Nothing close to the 707 mission.

David

Team Convair 880 (www.convairjets.com)

American Airlines Aircraft Maintenance

Boston Logan Airport

Well if you want to get technical N49 is not a Convair. It is, legally an Allison Prop Jet Conversion or APJC. If you call the remains of Convair for support they tell you to go away. The 5 FAA planes like this were C-121D's or E's that were converted under an Allison STC when Convair wanted nothing to do with those turboprops. I have one or two structural mods sitting on them from my engineering days.

And N34 the DC-3 will be touring the State of Oklahoma over the summer as a part of the Oklahoma Centennial.

Tom, N34 program coordinator.